It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something that happened to my sister shortly after the death of her husband

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
My youngest sister's husband of 20 years died a couple of months ago after battling prostate cancer. We have been talking quite a bit on the phone, as I'm very worried about her. She mentioned in a conversation shortly after his memorial that they had talked and he told her he would show her he was still with her by blinking an overhead light in one of the rooms of their house three times. She stated that he hadn't done so yet, and she was really hoping he would do this. My heart sank a little, as I am a skeptical person. After we got off the phone, I said a prayer, and tried to project my thoughts on her husband that he would do this, as it would give her some comfort. But I was very doubtful. My sister and her husband are both athiests. I consider myself Christian, and I do my share of praying. I am open minded about religion or lack thereof, and we made it a point not to argue about that. In a phone call on Christmas Eve, she was joyful as she told me that he did make the overhead light blink three times. I believe this really did happen. It gave me comfort to hear this. They never had children, so she is alone. And no, the light was not about to go out earlier. So sometimes these things can happen. Wherever her husband is, it's my fervent hope that he will keep watch over her. Perhaps he will send other little signs here and there.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing this! My friend's Mom had a similar experience. It is comforting.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This made my heart happy to read. It's a lovely story, and thanks for sharing it. I'm certain that her happiness was wonderful to hear for you and wonderful to feel for her.

S&F

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Even if not in direct contact many believe that they are still around somewhere, watching over us, guiding us, protecting us in times of trouble.

That three times thing reminded me of this song from waaay back…

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing your sisters story!
It gave me a grin from ear to ear!
Now I can't stop smiling.

and to me, that says your story is as legit as they can get.

Wherever her husband is, it's my fervent hope that he will keep watch over her. Perhaps he will send other little signs here and there.

I'm sure he is.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Oh, I love that song! Yeah, that is pretty cool.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

Thank you for your post

My Father died on New Years Day this year ... less than 48 hours ago

What your post speaks of is the big question "Is there an afterlife"
As a Christian of course your faith believes there is an after life
I am not Christian but I also know there is an after life
This is our comfort and solace when we lose a loved one

For 40 years it has been my focus to learn about Death and the Soul

Of course I and my family /friends are very sad and yet this is not a constant sorrow.
For I see my Father free of his ailments and happy amongst other loved one's

He is always told us not to be sad but be happy for him when he went

He was a gentle and fun soul and will always be missed until we see him again

Now some may think this wishful thinking but for me it is truth with 40 years of searching behind it

You see what I think is this ... Many believe they are merely the body they inhabit this brief stay upon Earth and live accordingly ... Yet if the truth were known that we are immortal souls in a mortal body that would change everything

Also if we can accept that there are older more evolved and experienced souls that help guide us we would feel blessed and loved as indeed we are ...

What I share in common with Christianity and other faiths is that there is Creator
This Creator is not cruel or without empathy but wants only good things (Unconditional Love) for all within it's Creation and Yes all things are possible

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
They were atheists but they believed in an afterlife? That's an interesting combination of beliefs.

Has she re-evaluated her ideas after this happened?

Glad she is feeling better about it!

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Truly, there is no answer to that...I can say no more.

edit on 2-1-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for posting. Your post is beautiful and warms my heart.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus

Yeah, I'm confused about that. I do think it's possible to not believe in God but still believe in an afterlife. It's a big universe out there, and so much we don't know. Artistpoet's post touches on that.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD
a reply to: TinkerHaus

Yeah, I'm confused about that. I do think it's possible to not believe in God but still believe in an afterlife. It's a big universe out there, and so much we don't know. Artistpoet's post touches on that.

Just saying it's an odd combination of beliefs. I may have addressed his earlier post but it wasn't there when I began writing my own. Again, no offense intended - just not a standard set of beliefs.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I am so sorry for your loss. Your post was a lovely tribute to him. I lost my father in 2007 and I still miss him.
edit on 2-1-2015 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I definitely believe in life after death. Lovely post OP

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I believe it! I was a skeptic until after my sister-in-law passed away. We've had many signs which can't be easily ruled as coincidences. There is life after death, that I am sure of.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I have felt contact with spirits so I have hope in this case, however, where I live our power has a three times and you're out type of thing. So if our power can't be sustained during a storm it will go off three times, usually quick flashes and only if it goes out a fourth will it stay off until the electric company fixes it. It used to just fail but this is some new thing. I just mention it for the sake of being rational... maybe a power glitch. That said, my first husband died and both my mom and I got very clear messages from him in dreams, so I believe it.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   

I'm really sorry about your father. Your views on the matter, passed to you by your father, are truly heartwarming and beautiful. I wish you and your family the best.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinkerHaus
They were atheists but they believed in an afterlife? That's an interesting combination of beliefs.

Has she re-evaluated her ideas after this happened?

Glad she is feeling better about it!

There are many belief systems outside Monotheism (e.g.: Christianity) that believe in an afterlife. And yes, you can be an atheist and still believe in an afterlife. Atheist strictly means a lack of belief in any deities (i.e.: God).

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Perhaps he needs "permission" from you on the other side to communicate for some reason? That, or he was distracted greatly by his new surroundings and lost track of time in our realm.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   

One has to watch this sort of "sign" as being the possible work of others besides her husband. Why? Nothing like a false signal to comfort the soul into false hope.

Some have had contact with loved ones ect shortly after their death......and the message was not good.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join