It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ancient standard was a 360 day year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It is wondrous to observe how similar our western calendar with its twelve months is to the Vedic, here is what was recorded in the Rigveda 3100-3700 years ago:

Twelve are the fellies, and the wheel is single; three are the naves. What man hath understood it?
Therein are set together spokes three hundred and sixty, which in nowise can be loosened.
-RV 1.164.48

The felly split into 12 is obviously a zodiac with its twelve parts ( or the Rasis as it is called in Vedic astrology) as shown in the picture below, and the 360 is the number of days in an ancient year. The 3 naves is a bit more cryptic, but I believe it means the four seasons as 12 months / 3 naves = 4 seasons.

Vedic zodiac

The Hindu calendar to this day has 360 days in it and twelve months:

1. Chaitra [(Mīna-Meṣa),(Pisces-Aries)]
2. Vaiśākha [(Meṣa-Vṛṣabha),(Aries-Taurus)]
3. Jyeṣṭha [(Vṛṣabha-Mithuna),(Taurus-Gemini)]
4. Āṣāḍha [(Mithuna-Kadaga),(Gemini-Cancer)]
5. Śrāvaṇa [(Kadaga-Siṃha),(Cancer-Leo)]
6. Bhādrapada or Bhādra also Proṣṭhapada [(Siṃha-Kanyā),(Leo-Virgo)]
7. Āśvina [(Kanyā-Tulā),(Virgo-Libra)]
8. Kārtika [(Tulā-Vṛścika),(Libra-Scorpio)]
9. Agrahāyaṇa or, Mārgaśīrṣa [(Vṛścika-Dhanur),(Scorpio-Sagitarius)]
10. Pauṣa [(Dhanur-Makara),(Sagitarius-Capricorn)]
11. Māgha [(Makara-Kumbha),(Capricorn-Aquarius)]
12. Phālguna [(Kumbha-Mīna),(Aquarius-Pisces)]

The 12 Rasis is the Vedic equivalent of our western twelve astrological signs.

Even though the Hindu calendar has the 360 day year, in the west we call this the Ancient Standard as it seems ancient cultures believed a year was indeed 360 days, lets mention the ancient Egyptians, the Maya, and the Babylonians to name but a few.

How much was the west inspired by the ancient India cultures that wrote the Rigveda?

Is it possible that a year indeed was 360 days before the last ice age or even earlier?

-MM

edit on 31-12-2014 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-12-2014 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
All our measurement systems are only the old systems which were developed and used thousands of years old. Look at this for example:

The international nautical mile was defined by the First International Extraordinary Hydrographic Conference, Monaco (1929) as exactly 1,852 metres.[1] This is the only definition in widespread current use, and is the one accepted by the International Hydrographic Organization and by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM). Before 1929 different countries had different definitions, and the Soviet Union, the United Kingdom and the United States did not immediately accept the international value.

Modern humans go through a process of rewriting history, several decades after the international agreement it will be near impossible at telling anyone that the same length for nautical mile was used by the ancients. The conversion factor between metres and Royale Egypt 0.52375 metres, and the Ancients invented both scales.

In these threads I showed mathematically how the ancients used nautical mile ( 21600 nautical miles = 60 minutes of arc x 360 degrees ) as a measurement scale for the circumference of earth, they even worked out the speed of rotation, the numbers and maths don't lie.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

People don't care about these things they will happily adopt what Wiki tells them is the truth and write off the ancients as simple bronze agers who simply through lots of sweat and manual labour built the ancient pyramids of Giza to exact precision. People basically dont know anything than what came out of the tube.

There is an old saying there is Nothing new under the Sun, and I wonder sometimes where than expression came from, probably from ancient times in a way of a post humorous mild muse from a bygone civilisation saying hey guys in thousands of years you will build your society using our knowledge and marvel at your ingenuity, but don't become blinded by you egos when you marvel at what stands before you because there is nothing new under the Sun.

edit on 31-12-2014 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaMeditation

I believe it was Noah's Flood that added the extra 5.25 days to the Solar year. I wrote about that in my thread about the Mayan calendar a few years ago.
edit on 31-12-2014 by BELIEVERpriest because: link added

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
If you look a little harder at it, I believe you'll find that no ancient culture thought the year was 360 days.

They all recognized 360 days, which is a handy number of days for several reasons, plus several days of festivals waiting for an astronomical signal to restart the count of days.

In Ancient Egypt, for example, they restarted the count according to the re-appearance of the star Sirius in the sky, which had passed out of view to the south earlier in the year.

IIRC, they used Sirius' appearance to predict the annual Nile flood as well. But maybe I have that wrong. It might have been the disappearance of Sirius, I can't remember and I'm too lazy to look it up again.

But because the year is not really a whole number of days, it wasn't the greatest calendar. It didn't recognize leap years, for example, but the Sirius marker works well enough to take somewhat decent care of that. It just meant an extra day of festival partying every fourth year.

Even though the Egyptians (obviously) recognized that fact and what it meant, they didn't see a real need to insert a leap year on the calendar. Eventually, the leap year was imposed on them by the Romans.

Harte

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harte
If you look a little harder at it, I believe you'll find that no ancient culture thought the year was 360 days.

They all recognized 360 days, which is a handy number of days for several reasons, plus several days of festivals waiting for an astronomical signal to restart the count of days.

In Ancient Egypt, for example, they restarted the count according to the re-appearance of the star Sirius in the sky, which had passed out of view to the south earlier in the year.

As I understand, the ancient Egyptians knew the year was 365 ¼ days but somehow believed the 360 day year was more "ideal" somehow, and so used both calendars at the same time. There is an ancient Egyptian story that tells how Thoth won 5 extra days from the Moon god Khonsu in a game known as Senet:

A long time ago, Re, who was god of the sun, ruled the earth. During this time, he heard of a prophecy that Nut, the sky goddess, would give birth to a son who would depose him. Therefore Re cast a spell to the effect that Nut could not give birth on any day of the year, which was then itself composed of precisely 360 days. To help Nut to counter this spell, the wisdom god Thoth devised a plan. Thoth went to the Moon god Khonsu and asked that he play a game known as Senet, requesting that they play for the very light of the moon itself. Feeling confident and that he would win, Khonsu agreed. However, in the course of playing he lost the game several times in succession, such that Thoth ended up winning from the moon a substantial measure of its light, equal to about five days. With this in hand, Thoth then took this extra time, and gave it to Nut. In doing so this had the effect of increasing the earth’s number of days per year, allowing Nut to give birth to a succession of children; one upon each of the extra 5 days that were added to the original 360. And as for the moon, losing its light had quite an effect upon it, for it became weaker and smaller in the sky. Being forced to hide itself periodically to recuperate; it could only show itself fully for a short period of time before having to disappear to regain its strength.

-MM

edit on 1-1-2015 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   
8347 b.c.
    According to Maya the first creation
    numbers are invented

3147 b.c.
    According to the Maya: Tzolkin 4-hau Haab 8-Cumku
    "Was seen the image of the turtle"
    Letters are invented

3140 b.c.
    According to the Maya: 13th Baktun completed
    "Era of Gods" closed
    world destroyed by man eating jaguars
    Begin Second Creation

2697 b.c.
    Huang Ti: 12 animals years concurant with 5 element years = 60 year cycle
    Noah: counting the years, the months, and the days

2350 b.c.
    Marduk: fixes first Calendar
      12 months starting on the crescent moon
      one intercalary month by decree

Tangdi Yao: fixes first Calendar
      15 days a bean grows, 15 days a bean decays = 30 day month

Akkadian Pentecontad: fixes first Calendar
      7x7 +1 = 50 days
      x7 = 350 days
      +15 or 16 = 365 or 366 days

2349 b.c.
    According to Maya: World destoyed by The Great Flood
    "Dates are invented"
    Begin Third Creation

2346 b.c.
    According to Hebrew: The Flood

2276 b.c.
    Possible first Greek Games
    Minoan: Year of 62 weeks of 1/5th of a month
      1/5th of a month starting on first quarter moon
      5.9 days x 62 = 365.8 days a year

1866 b.c.
    Sesotris III of 12th Dynasty: Sothic cycles
    1,460 year cycle based on the star Sirius
    every 1,461 years of 365 days, only 1,460 real years have passed

My own research shows that the struggle with the incommensurate ratio between days in a year and the length of the seasonal year goes all the way back. Further my own analysis of solar system physics indicates that it is highly unlikely that any orbiting body will have a whole number relationship between its spin and the length of its orbit. These orbits are all elliptical. the 360 degree circle will always be incommensurate to the year, because it is an ellipse.

Mike Grouchy

edit on 1-1-2015 by mikegrouchy because: format

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

Still, you might want to consider the ancient stories of the battle between Saturn and Jupiter as an actual historical event where a planet (Jupiter) wandered into our solar system or shifted its orbital position around our Sun, thus causing the days to become longer on earth due to the difference in the exerted gravitational field pull - this ancient event could also be the cause of a ancient flood and/or ice age.

1. In Greek mythology, the god Kronos (Saturn) was the king of gods before being dethroned by Zeus (Jupiter), and driven from his station (orbit around the sun?) in the sky (solar system?).

2. In ancient Egypt, the god Osiris (Saturn) was the chief god before he was killed and dismembered by Isis (Jupiter).

3. In the bible, Satan (Saturn) is defeated by God (Jehovah is Jupiter). Exodus 6:3 says that Jehovah (Jupiter) was unknown to Abraham (a new planet?). Jehovah (Jupiter) tells Abraham to only worship Him (Jupiter) and to abandon all other gods. As a final slap in the face to Satan (Saturn), the new God Jehovah took his (Satan’s) day Saturday (Saturn-day) as His own in Genesis 2:2-3 and Leviticus 23:2-3:

Speak to the Israelites and say to them: 'These are my appointed festivals, the appointed festivals of the LORD (Jehovah-Jupiter), which you are to proclaim as sacred assemblies. There are six days when you may work, but the seventh day is a day of sabbath rest, a day of sacred assembly. You are not to do any work; wherever you live, it is a sabbath to the LORD (Jehovah-Jupiter).

Another proof that Jupiter took over the place of Saturn in the bible is in Ezekiel 8:14-15 :

Then He brought me to the entrance of the gate of the LORD'S (Jehovah-Jupiter) house which was toward the north (northern hemisphere); and behold, women were sitting there weeping for Tammuz (Saturn).

A "house" in astrology means one of the 12 zodiac's and Jupiter is currently the Constellation of Leo or the "Fifth House" in the northern hemisphere. Tammuz was a pagan god, the Babylonians called Saturn “the Star of Tammuz.”

So, what does it all mean - why did the ancients have this obvious obsession with planets and astrology? Well, for the ancient people astronomy seem to have been the true religion? For them, astrology seemed to conclude that our life here on earth is in general ruled by the energies from the large celestial bodies such as the planets. In astrology, the different planets are believed to transmit energies that affect our energy (chakras) and thusly controlling our emotions and actions and only our free will can change our destiny (karma). Consider this passage in Proverbs 16:9 about our free will versus the God's:

The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD (Jehovah-Jupiter) establishes his steps.

The ancients seems to have believed that humans here on earth live in a closed cyclical system where the events are pretty much predetermined because of these powerful energies emitted from the planets that direct our lives (karma). This is why the ancients considered the planets as gods, not because they were "intelligent" or even self-conscious in their own, but because of the powerful energy they transmitted to us and thusly affected our energy bodies, our decision making, and destinies.

-MM

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikegrouchy
3140 b.c.
    According to the Maya: 13th Baktun completed
    "Era of Gods" closed
    world destroyed by man eating jaguars
    Begin Second Creation

According to astrological evidence in the ancient Mahabharata texts the war between the gods on earth happened 3067 BCE so we have a pretty close date to the Maya right there.

On a side note; did you know that the Vedic Sankrit word for magic (or illusion) is Maya, strange huh?

-MM

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Correction: It was Seth that killed Osiris and not Isis, Seth is also associated with the planet Jupiter.

-MM

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
1712 b.c.
    Sodom and Gomorrah destroyed: rain of fire and brimstone
    Maya: Destruction of world by rain of fire
    Dead Sea: Massive bitumen explosion

1702 b.c.
    Old Babylonian Venus tablets begin
      Govenors Year: royal year, rising stars
      Seasonal Year: 5 day week
      Financial Calendar: Lunar year of 12 months +1 sometimes
      Festival Calendar: Lunar year of 12 months +1 sometimes

I find it interesting that all the way back in old Babylon was the same as it is now. The business sector has it's own 'fiscal year', the solar year, there is the 'tax year', and the contract year (from the date of signing), etcetera ... Except back then it was the royal, seasonal, financial, and festival. I imagine each ziggurat had it's own day counting, to honor it's own god. The strength of a calendar comes not from it's accuracy but from who the other people using it are, or happen to be.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
And for those of you who would like to delve deeper into this and its so many topics (branches) which this topic, if true could solve so many problems of today.
So, those of you who think as I do and would take the topics title.

The ancient standard was a 360 day year

What does that mean, what does it alter and why . What does it affect.

Now I dug back to
Seasons

I'm not lying am I......
So because we, today go by a 365 day year, that means if the title is fact and that over the course of time we have un-syncronised our time with the seasons by (accorfing to this thread) 5 days per year.
I know many of you will agree that it seems seasons are not happening at the right times of year.

We determine planetary seasons by our own rule?.....We should determine the begining of the seasons using the very first buds which indicate spring. The plants.

If we use this as the datum point for the beginning of spring, we shouldnt be too far off.

Global warming? ????
Is it really global warming and unexpected weather we are experiencing or are we just out of synchronicity with the planet because we have developed a system of time that may indeed be a little wrong.

We are trying to bend the world to suit us and the way we are living, to accomodate us.
We need the planet to exist as a species.
The planet doesn't need us. This is a fact.

These extremes also come under the banner of every action produces a reaction.

Life has a purpose. We have a purpose. The place we call home is a planet to us known as Earth, upon it is a vast diversity of life. Land, water and air.

Yet to an outsider they would see a biosphere, or in relation to our universe an atom.
One atom of many.

Anyway enough of that don't want to bore you lol.

Good topic. Sorry if you reading this wishing they hadn't. I sincerely apologise.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Double post sorry
edit on 1-1-2015 by jazz10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Vedic zodiac

I also wanted to mention that the guy in the center of the Vedic zodiac wheel above is not Santa Claus in his sled, but rather the sun-god Surya in his chariot. The seven horses that pulls the sun-god’s chariot are named Gayatri, Brhati, Usnik, Jagati, Tristup, Anustup and Pankti, and symbolize the seven days of the week starting with Sunday (which he is also the presiding deity of: "SUN-day") - again concepts that we in the west seemingly have adopted from the ancient Vedic cultures.

Source

-MM

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Also worth point out but not obvious is the outer circle number of symbols is 12 and the middle circle 8.

8/12 = 0.666666666666666

The number of the beast! Is that guy in the middle the devil?

edit on 1-1-2015 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The inner wheel has the tiny triangle saw shape graduations. and i count 10 of these.
If we look at the wheel outer, middle and inner most divisions the ratio is 12, 8, and 80 (10 x 8).

I wil take these numbers and apply them to a scale of nautical miles around earth equator circumference. There is 360 degrees around the circumference, made up of 360 x 60 arc minutes nautical miles. 360 x 60 =21600

21600/ 12 = 1800 nautical miles
21600/ 8 = 2700 nautical miles
21600/ 80 = 270 nautical miles

Divide now 270 nautical miles by 10 again (since its scale is already establihsed as 10 x 8) this is legitimate maths operation

2.7 nautical miles

and divide by 10 again

0.27 nautical miles

Divide 0.27 nautical miles into earth equator circumference of 21600 to see how many times it divides 21600/0.27 = 80000

There are 1852 metres in a nautical mile, so 1852 x 0.27 = 500.04 metres ( the exact result with no number rounding )

Now take the 500.04 and subtract 500 to leave the 0.04.

0.04 x 80000 is 3200 metres

3200/1852 = 1.7278617710..... (the result in nautical miles since 1852 metres = 1 nautical mile aand note very close value to root 3 - 1.732)

21600/ (1.72786....) = 12501.00 (exact result)

This means the earths equatorial diameter can perfectly be divided into graduation scale of 12501 and each increment is 1.72786 nautical miles

I did these calcs very quick but if they are correct with no errors then the wheel outer, middle and made up of inner most divisions the ratio is 12, 8, and 80 (10 x 8), looks like could be the basis of grid divisions on a longtitude lattitude map of the world.
edit on 1-1-2015 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   
1492 b.c.
    According to Maya: Haab
    20 days x 18 months = 360 days
    +5 evil days each year = 365
    Long count:
      Katun = 20 years
      Baktun = 400 Years

calendar is backdated to 3114 b.c.

I guess the Maya approach is "so what if there are six evil days compared to five, who's keeping track on days like these." Nah. I'm probably just waxing morbid. They kept so many concurrent calendars that they probably never lost track of the day count.

Mike Grouchy

edit on 2-1-2015 by mikegrouchy because: format

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Earth's rotation is slowing : days were shorter in the past ...
a dinosaur day was only about 23 hours long

www.lawrencehallofscience.org...
edit on 2-1-2015 by Takifugu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   
1445-1000 b.c.
    Lunisolar calendar
    leap months
    7 year Jubilee
    Gezer Calendar

Yeah, who knows. Four hundred and forty five years, it's a murky period. A lot was done to be sure, but who did what when is almost political in its entanglements and nuances. I don't know what to say about our calendar and it's coincidence with the 360 degree circle. Yes the Babylonian/Sumerian rightly should have called it 365 degrees. But even then it still wouldn't have been elliptical.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: AthlonSavage

Also worth point out but not obvious is the outer circle number of symbols is 12 and the middle circle 8.

8/12 = 0.666666666666666

The number of the beast! Is that guy in the middle the devil?

No, as I mentioned above the guy in the middle is the sun-god Surya on his 7 horse chariot symbolizing the seven weekdays.

The middle circle depict the eight cosmic influencers (planets) mentioned in Vedic astronomy, thogether with Surya (the Sun) they make up the Navagraha.

-MM

edit on 2-1-2015 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AthlonSavage

Perhaps you should use the Vedic units of length when trying to find connections? The speed of light documented in 3,000 year old Vedic texts has been proven, see this paper for more details.

-MM

top topics

<<   2 >>

join