It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA leading? from behind on lessening petrol dependency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Iceland has been on a mission to reduce their dependency on petrol. They drive hydrogen cars and use hydrogen to heat their inhabited spaces. (read article here: Iceland the First Country to Try Abandoning Gasoline - ABC News)

Finland testing hydrogen cars

A hydrogen car operates in a similar way as an electric car, but has a much longer driving range on one “tankful”.

“On one 3-4 minute fuel-up, you can drive 500-600 kilometres, so the operational radius is very competitive,” says Kalevi Korjala, CEO of the Woikoski gas company. yle.fi...

Hawaii sits on large volcanoes. They have incredible energy sources. They have changed laws to require all new water heaters be solar powered which is a good direction but that's not enough.

Top 10 countries and their Solar GW (Giga watts) usage:

Germany 35.5GW
China 18.3GW
Italy 17.6GW
Japan 13.6GW
United States 12GW
Spain 5.6GW
France 4.6GW
Australia 3.3GW
Belgium 3GW
United Kingdom 2.9
(pureenergies.com...)

To go off topic a bit, Australia is shocker since that country is flooded with sun but then I see this under their usage information: Australia boasts some of the greatest solar potential in the world, solar power costs less than half what grid electricity costs, although the current government is considering scaling back the federal Renewable Energy Target, which would slow if not stop the country’s upward trajectory in these lists. (From above source)

If I remember correctly, the US is #3 in wind power energy.

What's depressing about this is not just the US but other countries seems to no longer stand behind the solar power movements, but the decline in growth in several countries has been attributed to attacks from the nuclear and fossil fuel energy industries according to the European Photovoltaic Industry Association (EPIA) in a report published earlier in 2014 (PDF www.webcitation.org...) Many who live in HOA's may face rejection of installations completely. And yet, if one is able to get around these obstacles, the cost of installing a solar system is beyond many peoples financial reach. In the US with a higher percentage of people dependent on the government for basic needs than not, the opportunity for the average homeowner to invest in solar is not an option.

Even as technology increases like: Spray Your Roof with Solar Power Dec 8, 2014 (news.discovery.com...
power-sources/spray-your-roof-with-solar-power-141208.htm)
the total cost for solar is still beyond the grasp of many. Hydrogen cars are only a faux pas on you tube videos and rip off scams. And the biggest reality check is people in the US have been told for so many years, we're number one, we're number one, which might have been true in the past but in the last decade or so, we've slipped to last place. Not because we are in the last place standing physical,y but because we have the technology and the funds to lessen our dependence on big oil and nuclear and we're not doing it. It's irresponsible. We're not great, we're despicable.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Corporations have a simple motive. You know what that is. Corporate automatons oil the machines and are offered an advantage in return. Religion is appropriated for their needs. People are appropriated for their needs, through a corrupted form of science known as "medical science", as is the environment humans generally need. They are not moral or immoral, they are amoral. Machines.

It you look at incentives and current trends, Corporations, not robots are currently the greatest threat to the survival of the human genus.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I have to agree with Inverse, here,...The granting of corporations to "person"status has been the first in a long line of mistakes we have made.......

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

With how easy it is to make 2D graphene.... I have been thinking lately that a person could start building their own solar panels. They would just need a electrolytic polymer to go with the graphene to make a superconductor that can harvest electrons from photons. I'm not sure if that's exactly right, but a person can make 2D graphene with a lightscribe dvd burner. Just look it up on youtube. Anyone with me here? I want a thread that shows how to make graphene solar panels.
edit on 12/20/2014 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The allied "Kingdom of (oil) Suad" is doing there bit by flooding the market to drive down prices. The first to fail are already feeling the crunch. Mostly enemies of the current Empire State.

join