It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony won't drop North Korea film - is Looking at other ways to release it

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Sony has responded to its critics by saying that it has not dropped The Interview, and is instead surveying other ways in which to release it. It said that the decision to cancel the movie was based on cinemas refusing to carry it:

Sony Pictures says it is looking at different ways to release the film satire the Interview, after scrapping its opening following a cyber-attack blamed on North Korea.

It said it had only cancelled the film's Christmas Day release after cinemas pulled out.

The company said it was "surveying alternatives to enable us to release the movie on a different platform".

Responding to the president's comments, Sony Pictures chief executive and chairman Michael Lynton told CNN it had not made an error in pulling the film.

"We have not caved, we have not given in, we have persevered and we have not backed down," he said.A Sony statement said the decision not to go ahead with the Christmas Day release was based on "the majority of the nation's theatre owners choosing not to screen the film".

"Let us be clear - the only decision that we have made with respect to release of the film was not to release it on Christmas Day in theatres, after the theatre owners declined to show it," the statement added.

"Without theatres, we could not release it in the theatres on Christmas Day. We had no choice.

"It is still our hope that anyone who wants to see this movie will get the opportunity to do so."

This, in my opinion, was an expected move. By not releasing the film through cinemas, Sony is minimising the threats made against them and civilians, while also providing the movie to customers through alternative methods. Regardless, i think this hacking scenario has resulted in much publicity for Sony, and i would expect them to use it to their advantage...

www.bbc.com...
edit on 20-12-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Sony has always been one of my favorite companies sound wise and even gaming wise, and they have always had the balls to try new things with major successes and not only that but they make great stuff.
I wish them all the best. Go Guardians of the Galaxy ! Go SONY!

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   
They either need to do a VOD or allow it to be leaked online. People are offering to pay for torrent links, there is definite money to be made on the film.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

They only said that after Obama had its tv time, but they still took out the web site and any other related site on youtube and whatever, if they really wanted that, why they take out all references to the movie everywhere they can? me thinks they're just trying to save face, but hardly anyone will believe after erasing the movie from the internet and everywhere else except places they could not control.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   

"We have not caved, we have not given in, we have persevered and we have not backed down," he said.

Glad to here it. Because I would personally lose a lot of respect for Hollywood otherwise.

But it would be nice if they backed up this statement with actions, rather than just words.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Bah, this film is so pre-post-apocalypse. I'll wait for the sequel.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   
As is typical when people forcibly censor something, such as a film, there is now a guarantee it will be a success. North Korea not only act stupid, they are stupid. Through their actions they have guaranteed the film will be a roaring success.

Sony must not be cowed.

Regards

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:55 AM
link   
This has been the best viral marketing campaign to date. Surprised how many people actually fall for this crap still. I wonder if Dear Leader will get royalties, I'm sure Dennis Rodman can swing through and drop it off.

Besides I thought ATS doesn't allow its site to be used for other companies marketing campaign, like lip balm and stuff.....oh wait......this is "news".

I mean come on guys, let's have a think shall we? If this really happened as reported, than how come we haven't been invaded by Russia yet? ....... Not following? Ok stay with me here. So the mighty US who is willing to play economic war with a nuclear powerhouse (Russia) but does nothing to North Korea for attacking our infrastructure. To North Korea a movie is an act of war but to the US a hack attack is not. Right. You believe that I have an Aliice to sell you equipped with Saddam Hussiens nuclear weapons. It comes with a bridge making attachment also.

edit on 20-12-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

You believe that I have an Aliice to sell you equipped with Saddam Hussiens nuclear weapons. It comes with a bridge making attachment also.

would we get a discount for multiple purchases ?

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
This has been the best viral marketing campaign to date. Surprised how many people actually fall for this crap still. I wonder if Dear Leader will get royalties, I'm sure Dennis Rodman can swing through and drop it off.

Besides I thought ATS doesn't allow its site to be used for other companies marketing campaign, like lip balm and stuff.....oh wait......this is "news".

I mean come on guys, let's have a think shall we? If this really happened as reported, than how come we haven't been invaded by Russia yet? ....... Not following? Ok stay with me here. So the mighty US who is willing to play economic war with a nuclear powerhouse (Russia) but does nothing to North Korea for attacking our infrastructure. To North Korea a movie is an act of war but to the US a hack attack is not. Right. You believe that I have an Aliice to sell you equipped with Saddam Hussiens nuclear weapons. It comes with a bridge making attachment also.

Yeah Sony willingly released numerous social security numbers and other sensitive information willingly and also got the FBI in on it, for a movie.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Give it to me

I'll make sure it's released to as wide an audience as possible.

All proceeds will then go to Our Lady of divine Chastity in the Bronx aka my offshore Bahamian account but that's just between us.
edit on 20-12-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Well, after all the hype it's getting, Sony may just make some cash off of this otherwise unremarkable and likely very mundane or even dreadful movie!

With all the patriotic sheepies vowing to watch it as a matter of principle, so the trrrrrrists don't win, how could they lose.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Turq1

Yeah Sony willingly released numerous social security numbers and other sensitive information willingly and also got the FBI in on it, for a movie.

Um, might want to reread my post. Where do I say Sony hacked themselves? .....exactly. If you can't see the hidden hand not my problem. My point, if you couldn't read between the lines was none of this is logical. Making a fuss about a movie will only draw attention to the movie. It's happened before. I'm not saying Sony knew or hacked themselves, I'm not saying they didn't know either. What I am saying is there is a lot more going on than Sony or this movie in regards to these attacks and Sony can and will capitalize on their "misfortunes".

I smell, I don't know, *shrugs*, Internet kill switch. There's a million ways to wag the dog. I also see what's happened recently in Fergueson and New York as interconnected with what's happening here, but that's just me, probably why I frequent ATS.

Sometimes it's more fun to chase rabbits than shoot them.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: Rosinitiate

You believe that I have an Aliice to sell you equipped with Saddam Hussiens nuclear weapons. It comes with a bridge making attachment also.

would we get a discount for multiple purchases ?

If you could afford more than one you'd have no need for the first one.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphiNorth Korea not only act stupid, they are stupid.

That we alredy have known for a long time.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Ok here's my contribution:

Yahoo News says Obama berates Sony threatens response on little man.:

Obama RAWR!

President Barack Obama vowed on Friday to respond to a devastating cyber attack on Sony Pictures that he blamed on North Korea, and scolded the Hollywood studio for caving in to what he described as a foreign dictator imposing censorship in America.

Obama Revenge!:

"We will respond," Obama told an end-of-year news conference. "We'll respond proportionally, and we'll respond in a place and time and manner that we choose."

FBI says it was bad:

Earlier, the Federal Bureau of Investigation announced it had determined that North Korea was behind the hacking of Sony, saying Pyongyang's actions fell "outside the bounds of acceptable state behavior."

Like really bad:

The destructive nature of the attack, and threats from the hackers that led the Hollywood studio to pull the movie, set it apart from previous cyber intrusions, the FBI said.

Little man squeaks:

A North Korean diplomat at the United Nations in New York said Pyongyang had nothing to do with the cyber attack. "DPRK (North Korea) is not part of this," the diplomat told Reuters.

Did you hear him?

Obama RAWRS again!:

"We cannot have a society in which some dictator someplace can start imposing censorship here in the United States," he said. "Because if somebody is able to intimidate folks out of releasing a satirical movie, imagine what they start doing when they see a documentary that they don't like, or news reports that they don't like."

So we all remember the old dear leader is dead right? The new one is friends with Dennis Rodman so I suspect western influence isn't completely lost on him. The real irone dome is our "news media". They said they didn't do it. Should we hear them out? Nah, we don't have relations so we can just trust what we are told.

source

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Ok here's my contribution:
Yahoo News says Obama berates Sony threatens response on little man.:

"We will respond," Obama told an end-of-year news conference. "We'll respond proportionally, and we'll respond in a place and time and manner that we choose."

Did you hear him?

Obama RAWRS again!

So we all remember the old dear leader is dead right? The new one is friends with Dennis Rodman so I suspect western influence isn't completely lost on him. The real irone dome is our "news media". They said they didn't do it. Should we hear them out? Nah, we don't have relations so we can just trust what we are told.

source

Obama comes forward, once again, to assure us of our worst fears and to swear revenge, even if he has to follow the perpetrators to the "gates of hell".

A very short walk.
edit on -06:00381412412014-12-20T08:41:38-06:00 by Psynic because: (no reason given)

edit on -06:00231412042014-12-20T09:04:23-06:00 by Psynic because: snip

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Sony should skip the cinemas all together, and go ahead and release the film to DVD, Netflix, etc.. If they are worrying about profits, they shouldnt, the amount of publicity this film has recieved will ensure this film does very very good in profits. Im glad to see Sony is standing up to this bizarre attack on a film and not caving in to pressures. If they do, the hackers and whomever doesnt want it released will have already won, and succedded

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I would prefer that if they release it, they do it online. At least then people aren't in public getting attacked for seeing it. The worst we'd have to worry about is Sony continuing to get hacked, and honestly, I think that is their punishment. They made the bed, and they should lay in it. And personally, I love all of the Spiderman rumors. Squee.

But really, at the end of the day, I've gotta ask... Is this movie really THAT important?

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Release on DVD and I'll buy it. Heck, I'd even volunteer for security for a theater that wants to run it. We should not be intimidated by genocidal assholes.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join