It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

unwound: no more coils. guitar pickup

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
this is super cool.
it think it was unveiled at namm this year

www.premierguitar.com...

Fluence is based on the notion that coils can be applied rather than wound. Like traces on a circuit board, concentric spirals of “coil” can be printed.

Like traces on a circuit board, concentric spirals of “coil” can be printed. Picture, for example, a racetrack- shaped printed circuit board the size of a Stratocaster pickup, with an opening in its center reserved for magnets. One board can hold one spiral, and because it’s printed, each copy is perfectly consistent. The next step involves stacking multiple layers of printed coils and interconnecting them until “pickup” ability is reached.

Layers of printed coils awaiting magnets. The small rings are “vias” that electrically connect the layers.

the newest issue of popular science magazine talks about these and they say

the advantage is that circuit boards are programmable. while a traditional pickup will impart one kind of sound, the fluence can be programmed to reproduce any number of sounds

pretty cool

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
So an on demand synth of sorts built in to the git? If not on demand but having to program it off stage, still sweet.

If that's what I'm reading...nice!

Peace

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Interesting . If what they claim to be the case then a Tele can sound like a Paul .Or my old Harmony can sound like a Strat :>) a reply to: Grovit

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

yeah, its cool.
the science article had a guitar as an example with a usb port built in to charge the board.
this is really cool stuff

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

I doubt it can cover all the variables that would be needed to make a telecaster sound like a SG.

Might lower the system noise figure which would be helpful. Would also be a new fine control of gain, which could be really useful. You can stop throwing money at some of the devices in between the Guitar and amplifier.

I want one to replace the EMG DG actives I have. They seem too noisy.
edit on 19-12-2014 by InverseLookingGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

You can stop throwing money at some of the devices in between the Guitar and amplifier.

This in itself will be a beautiful way to go but will it suffer quality?

Peace

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
What was that about ? scratching head a reply to: shhawsgl

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

This sounds awesome! Are they available to buy? I didn't see that in the article. I like the idea of the rechargeable battery, but I would probably forget to hook it up and then it would run down at an inopportune moment. But 250 hours is pretty good.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I'll check 'em out but I'm highly dubious they'll perform in the way a Lollar, Fralin or Wagner passive will.

Analog is a big part of my inspiration and I'll put up with a little 60 cycle to get it.

Thanx for the heads up.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Not to be anti technology but I'm dubious that anything can approach the sound of my aftermarket Bill Lawrence hotrails in my Frankenstein strat. into a Blues Jr. is pure tone heaven.

www.musiciansfriend.com...
edit on 19-12-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I've experimented with a lot of p'ups. I've settled on Reverend p-90's in a humbucking configuration. This does look cool, though. I'm sure I'll get around to experimenting with it.

edit on 19-12-2014 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This is quite a development. Too bad they don't have my favorite P90's developed yet. I don't think I'd swap out my pups on my Les Paul's or SG, they sound great just they way they sit.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: wtbengineer

im not sure if they are available to buy yet.
they were supposed to demo them at namm this year but i dot know when that was

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

With the dinosaur speed of current 3D printer, won't it take eternity to print all the P/U's layers?

I'd bet I'd beat the printer's time by simply winding one with my hands.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
Too bad they don't have my favorite P90's developed yet.

Since P90s are basically oversized single coils pickups, I would guess that printing all the layers would take far too much time.

Have you tried rails? I was a P90 guy until I tried rails. No soud loss during bends - plus I use the rails as extra frets!

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

chrome covered p90's for life

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Two thoughts,

Firstly as others said that although this is pretty cool is it able to compete with real pickups or will it sound all digital and fake.

Secondly how on earth do you get a post removed in a thread about pickups? got to be a first.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I had mother-of-pearl rimmed P90s.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

originally posted by: ugmold
Too bad they don't have my favorite P90's developed yet.

Since P90s are basically oversized single coils pickups, I would guess that printing all the layers would take far too much time.

Have you tried rails? I was a P90 guy until I tried rails. No soud loss during bends!

Never tried rails. thanks for the tip. Building a for fun project now, SG Jr, routed for HB, I was going to go with a P90/humbucker size GFS brand. I like the raw edge of singles.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join