It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dalhousie Scandal: Are Universities Responsible to Protect Public Trust and Safety?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
ETA Note: I am a woman who once left a dentist's office so drugged out I could barely walk. The last thing I remember before I blanked out was the dentist telling his assistant to leave the room. And yes, I've always wondered what the hell happened while I was "out."

Recently, a group of Dalhousie 4th year perverts, soon-to-be dentists, had their sexually violent Facebook page taken down. CTV now reports Dalhousie is considering suspending these perverts, soon-to-be dentists. [Suspending?!?] One noted concern is that any action taken should not damage the reputations and limit the career prospects of these perverts, soon-to-be dentists, who soon will be left alone with children in their professional capacity as authority figures.

According to the CBC, members of the Class of DDS 2015 Gentlemen page voted on which woman they'd like to have "hate" sex with and joked about using chloroform on women.

In another post, a woman is shown in a bikini with a caption that says, "Bang until stress is relieved or unconscious (girl)."

Dalhousie considers suspensions over sexually violent Facebook posts

Dalhousie University is considering suspensions amidst allegations that some fourth-year male dentistry students posted sexually violent comments to Facebook, some about their female classmates.

….The comments are of a sexual nature and portray violence against women.

Suspension!?! You're bloody kidding.

Dalhousie University president Richard Florizone says his main concern is understanding the needs of the women referred to in 'those' Facebook posts. And yes, Mr. Florizone, it's important to understand the needs of the female students targeted online by these perverted wanna-be rapists.

But there is a MUCH bigger issue here. It has to do with public safety. You need to prevent these perverts from getting near any woman -or child- in any professional capacity.

Men like this should never be allowed to treat vulnerable women and children. They need to be expelled and prevented from ever getting a license.

This is about public trust and public safety. The kind of people who think it's funny to consider chloroforming and raping women are NOT the people who should be alone with anyone's children. Remember, such fantasies -and rape- are not about sex. They're about power, about creating vulnerability and taking advantage of vulnerability to 'take possession' of a body through assault that just happens to be sexual. Given that it's all about power, it's psychologically not such a long way to go from assaulting drugged women to assaulting vulnerable children.

Dalhousie has a responsibility to protect public trust and public safety. The risks are too high. If Florizone doesn't have the balls to stand up to the powers behind his throne, and do the right thing, he should be fired.

Dalhousie considers suspensions over sexually violent Facebook posts

“So those women who were referred to in those posts, that’s been my primary concern is understanding their needs,” Florizone told CTV Atlantic. “How have they been impacted by this?”

Dalhousie will follow an approach that is victim-centred, that focuses on understanding and repairing the harm caused, and that reinforces a safe and respectful environment."

….The Dal president confirmed to the CBC on Tuesday evening that he was told during the summer about complaints of sexual harassment and sexism directed at female Dalhousie dentistry students.

Reportedly, the university didn't follow up on the complaints because the complainants didn't want to be identified — fearing repercussions.

edit on 17/12/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

edit on 17/12/14 by soficrow because: wd to title

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
More re:

I am a woman who once left a dentist's office so drugged out I could barely walk. The last thing I remember before I blanked out was the dentist telling his assistant to leave the room. And yes, I've always wondered what the hell happened while I was "out."

I later spoke with a neighbor about this dentist, who said he had done her daughter's braces years ago, adjusting them every day after school for a good price. The now-adult daughter was present and said, "He really gave me the creeps. I hated being alone with him." The mom was distressed, and asked, "Why didn't you tell me!" The young woman just shrugged helplessly, saying, "I didn't think I had any choice."

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Dalhousie President Richard Florizone decided to pursue "restorative justice" for male dentistry students whose sexually violent comments on Facebook were documented and publicized with screen shots - calling the proofs "allegations." He announced Wednesday night that the fourth-year students involved in the Facebook group “Class of DDS 2015 Gentlemen” will not face expulsion - or even suspension.

* Dal will let men who talked about raping and drugging women enter a profession where they anesthetize patients

* Look at your dentist's diploma on his wall & make sure he didn't graduate from Dalhousie.

* I wonder how the Canadian Dental Association feels about dentists who joke about assaulting anaesthetized patients?

* Call me crazy, but I'm not cool with the guy sticking his hand down my throat being a fan of rape "jokes".

* It's very concerning that many of these students are an exam set away from being doctors

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
This is not about sexism. Rape is all about power - it's psychologically not such a long way to go from fantasy to reality, or from assaulting drugged women to assaulting vulnerable children. The kind of people who think it's funny to consider chloroforming and raping women are NOT the people who should be alone with anyone's children, of any age.

Most institutions and many professions -especially those involving public trust- have a vetting process to determine if the student/applicant is psychologically and otherwise 'suitable' for the endeavour. Sometimes, questionable behaviors and attitudes surface in the middle of training after the applicant was approved. In that case, the institution has a responsibility to terminate the training and prevent the applicant from assuming a position of authority.

Dalhousie has a responsibility to protect public trust and ensure public safety. The perpetrators should be expelled.

top topics

join