It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question of spin.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Sly1one

Looking at a clock shows clockwise.

Looking at the back of the clock looks like its going the other way.

They're spinning the direction both times. The only way they aren't spinning the same direction is if you think that the direction you are facing determines the universe. Left and Right are meaningless and subjective ideas which are completely dependent on your orientation.

If I stand at the starting line cars move away from me. If I stand at the finish they comes toward me. They are moving the same direction.

My position is meaningless in determining how the cars move. x = 0 is the starting line, x = 100 is the finish. The cars are always moving the positive x direction.

Back to the clock. The starting position is 0/12 and the direction the hand moves is always toward a higher number. 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12. We call this the positive direction of motion, and if your clock is transparent, then when viewed from behind you will still see it go 12,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12. That means no matter what angle you view it from it is moving in the positive direction and the positive direction of rotation is arbitrarily called clockwise. It doesn't matter what direction you're looking at it from, or if you're looking at it all. It spins one way until you reverse the spin.

You perception does not reverse the spin.
edit on 18-12-2014 by framedragged because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join