It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Received a strange telephone call - Request opinions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I received a strange telephone call at home yesterday. The caller ID showed our home number and me as the caller. I went ahead and picked it up but there was only silence which was probably a good thing because if I had been on the other end I'm not sure what I would have done.

I went to the other phone and called our number just to see what would happen and there was a recorded message that the call could not be completed, please hang up and wait for the other party to answer. I hung up, the phone rang and my spouse waiting at the phone said that the ID said "Incoming Call" with no number. I don't know if other phone systems are the same and the ability to call yourself may be a throwback to ancient party lines. When we moved here many years ago there was an option to get a party line that was less expensive but we have never had a party line and it may not even be an option anymore.

My spouse is worried that it may be some type of omen. I am trying to toss it off as some kind of weird phone thing but the ID showed my nickname, not the name that the phone is registered under. Has anyone else ever had something happen like this? I've heard of phone calls from recently deceased people but never a call from yourself.

edit on 12/14/2014 by LuFri because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: LuFri

There are ways to spoof a number. Just someone who knows your nickname is messing with you. Nothing to worry about. Relax!

P

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: LuFri I lot of tech has been going hayware over the last 48hrs or so it could be related to this?

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   

It'll be some tech glitch.

Still, deep down, you know it would've been super-cool if it really had been you on the other end!

"You must leave the house immediately. Go by the back door. You'll find an unlocked vehicle; it's red. Get in and drive to Wal-Mart. I'll meet you there."

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
If you can give yourself a hand, a pat on the back, or a break, you can give yourself a phone call.

Maybe you were going to ask yourself out, you got nervous before you answered, and hung up.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Maybe its you travelling back in time to warn yourself.

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
This exact thing happened to me several weeks ago. I was cleaning house and the phone rang. I went to answer it, and the caller ID showed our number. I live in a very large home and was home alone, so I immediately thought someone was in the house with me. (Too many horror movies)

I answered the phone and it was a TELEMARKETERS!!!! I was furious!!! I called my husband because the whole thing freaked me out so bad! So, It is a trick to get you to answer the phone by showing your own number on the caller ID.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Maybe just maybe a telephone Engineer was working in the neighbourhood testing some lines... I would look into that scenario before i went down the Paranormal route.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   

or maybe this is all just nonsense.....

imagination at play

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Something like this has happened to me before. When I was living with my mom a few years ago, I would call any one of my friends off of our land-line, if they didn't answer and it went to their voice mail I would get a recorded message saying to leave a message as everyone does when no one answers.

The weird part is, it wasn't their usual voice mail tone, it was my moms voice mail tone from her mobile phone..

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectbane

or maybe this is all just nonsense.....

imagination at play

OR maybe you just haven't experienced this. I have seen this myself on caller ID on the landline. Not a big deal.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I agree with Phoenix358. Someone's spoofing your phone, especially if the caller ID showed your nickname.

Having said that, I've always thought that weird, mysterious phone calls were interesting, and one of the more intriguing areas of the 'spooky realm'. About 10 years ago, I had some friends tell me they got a couple very eerie calls one night.
To make it even spookier, it was a foggy night. The caller ID displayed 'UNKNOWN CALLER".
The phone rang twice, then stopped ringing. It took my friend a few seconds to get to the phone. The call should've been disconnected, as the phone had stopped ringing. When he picked it up, a bizarre, high-pitched voice shreiked
"No you cant!" My friend said it sounded like a watery, disembodied EVP that you'll hear on those ghost hunting TV shows.

The second call came 30 minutes later. My friend said he wasn't sure, but it sounded like "It's so quiet."
The same voice, but calmer this time. It wasn't screaming like the previous call.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

My spouse is worried that it may be some type of omen. I am trying to toss it off as some kind of weird phone thing but the ID showed my nickname, not the name that the phone is registered under. Has anyone else ever had something happen like this?

I would be worried by my spouse being worried that it may be some type of omen.

Since it showed your nickname instead of the registered name, that definitely points to something like this being used:
www.spoofcard.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
You hung up before they could say...SEVEN DAYS!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

'Same number caller ID' or getting "spoofed"?

google search results

Another one I remember hearing about is a line voltage problem. If the voltage drops too low on your (land) phone line, it might induce the ringer to sound. Since nobody is calling the ID just displays your number.

Intermittent connection, moisture, to long a phone lead in and other factors can affect the line voltage. A tech could determine that for you.

Another possibility is your line used to be a party line (hence the advertisement). Check with the company to make sure its not still hooked up with another line.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

The Matrix has you Neo…

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

You were spoofed. It happens to me all of the time.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Wow!! I wasn't expecting so many replies, and so fast too! I'm going to go with the spoof or telemarketer and forget about it. It seems the most likely (and least painful) answer.

This is great site with wonderful people. Thank you!

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Very common tactic. You know 'Rachel from Card Services'? Well, that scam and many others spoof numbers. Sometimes it will be a distant business but they will also use variations of your own number and, as you saw, even your own number. The calls are made by auto-dialers and if a person doesn't pick the call after it's dialed you'll just get silence.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Did you lose a loved one recently? We had a couple of strange calls left on our answering machine after my sister-in-law passed. Could be a way of them trying to let you know they're still around.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join