It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cashiers Who Put the Coins on Top

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
OK, where does this practice com from? Nothing like getting your change back in a big pile, with huge receipt in the middle and change sliding around on top and hitting the ground. Or your at the drive thru on a windy day and change goes flying.

And worse yet are the thieves who think you wont count out the change as they try to short you a $20. Had that happen twice in one week. They give you a bunch of 10's to try and hide the fact.

Always count your change, even those machines cash registers that spit out the coins will cheat you.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: magnecore

People make mistakes.
1st world problems at it's finest.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

In a drive thru window they point the coins on top of the bills so the bills don't fly away.
In the store I think they do it just so it is a little easier, to give you all your change in one hand off.
What is the way you would like them to do it?

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

People make mistakes.

It's called a rant.
Nobody is calling it the end of the world, besides, if third world people had any money I'm sure it would annoy them to.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

People make mistakes.

It's called a rant.
Nobody is calling it the end of the world, besides, if third world people had any money I'm sure it would annoy them to.

Rant = 1st world problem complaint

I just realized how synonymous the two are.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: corvuscorrax

Yeah, it's a bit redundant.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
It is because you take bills out of the register first. That is basically it.

At least, that is why I always gave people bills first, I count out cash, count out change, it is just natural.

...and 26.17 is your change...
not
...and here is 17 cents...and 26 dollars...

There was this one guy who always seemed irked that he got his bills first, was it you ?!

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

When I pay, and have exact change , I give the coins first. That way the cashier can have them in one hand and bills in the other. And since I put coins in my pocket and bills in my wallet , if the coins came at me first, it would be easier to deal with. Just seems simpler and no change has to be sorted from a stack of paper and end up on the ground.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Not here to stress out, just light coversation.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
This practice of handing you the bills with the coins on top, with one hand has always made me nuts. As I exit the store juggling the mess, I frequently grumble under my breath "thanks for the 'coin raft', idiot". I spent years working in retail stores, and later training for retail companies and always include a 3 minute blurb on not doing this when training folks. I find it obnoxious and lazy.... It's change first, then bills after the customer has secured their coins!
Someone once informed me during one of my rants that this practice may come from cultures/religions whom are against touching others hands, and it has been adopted by all. I never looked into it though.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Psychonautics

Thats weird to me because I always try to get to a whole number as quickly as possible. Heres the small stuff, now lets concentrate on the important part.... but I also read books from the back to front , so maybe I am the one who is defective....lol

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: XP100
"Coin raft"..... it does feel like that...hehe

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

A little heads up....
It started when we went to fancy digital registers. Before then you had to count up to the amount given for the purchase.
So you would naturally get your change back first.....in your hand.
Blame technology.

All the younger cashiers have NEVER had to count back change for a customer.
(banging head on desk)

I can't believe I know this stuff

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Even us who can do it naturally working out change will generally give notes as a seperate thing with probably the coinage as something a few second later or if its an easy thing to do at the same time.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I use my debit card and tell them to keep the receipt, and walk away like a boss.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
When I was working I spent pretty much my whole life in Retail dealing with the public and kissing ass as I was taught.
My one job involved a really high flow of cash and fast paced too.

Here is what we did at least when I worked there, the bill is 24.45 and the customer hands you a fifty for payment.
The first thing is to state the bill total and acknowledge the receipt of $50.00 tendered. Next you hand the customer 55 cents and say that makes $25.00 then you take a twenty and five and one at a time but fast you add the five and say that is $30.00 and then the twenty goes in their hand and you say that makes $50.00........all is good if you count up verbally from the cost to the bills or bill tendered.

This was done without cash registers or computers and these transactions were seconds apart on busy days. The cash drawer almost always balanced to the penny at the end of a 10 hour day or longer depending on the store and hours.

I don't think math skills are so good now for staff as in they do what the screen tells them versus what their brain should tell them.

If your getting short changed its probably the computer, but possibly the employee too.
Next time your in the drive through when you hand your money over, state how much your handing over and the rest is easy as pie.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Psychonautics My mom was a bank teller and a branch manager for many years. She taught us kids how to count money. She always counted the change first to make it up to the nearest dollar. Then counted out the bills.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
a reply to: Psychonautics My mom was a bank teller and a branch manager for many years. She taught us kids how to count money. She always counted the change first to make it up to the nearest dollar. Then counted out the bills.

Yeah, they do that at banks.

On the other hand, when at the Dunkin Donuts drivethru, ain't nobody got time fo dat

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

People make mistakes.

Hahahahahahaha!

As soon as I read the title, I swear on all things holy, my first thought was "first world problems".

Make a rant but, make it a true rant! Dang.

Oh, but but but....my change. It fell.

Curse the world!

Start a thread on an alternative conspiracy website....yeah, that's the ticket!

Where the hell is my money?!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

If you will notice, "rant" is a sub forum that specifies "off topic" subjects. Not really serious discussion, just laid back stuff. Perhaps Im wrong.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join