It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The safest way to walk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I watched this video and I thought it was so funny it is worth sharing:
(if you want to skip the introduction, start watching at 2 minutes)

It's about the way that it's safest for people to walk so that they won't get mugged, according to some study.

edit on 3-12-2014 by Emma3 because: more details

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Emma3

Emma3, could you give a summary please? I have dial-up and each mega byte takes likes 10 minutes, and long loads often crash and have to be reloaded again.

I'm not in that remote of an area, but sat. ISPs are costly, I'm 3/4 of a mile from a cable hook-up and the phone lines suck. I could hack the neighbor's WiFi, but I got some scruples left.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Woah really? I didn't think anywhere in the world even used/had dial up anymore. *comfort*

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

Emma3, could you give a summary please? I have dial-up and each mega byte takes likes 10 minutes, and long loads often crash and have to be reloaded again.

I'm not in that remote of an area, but sat. ISPs are costly, I'm 3/4 of a mile from a cable hook-up and the phone lines suck. I could hack the neighbor's WiFi, but I got some scruples left.

The funny part is watching the video itself, and see the walks the guy does. There's no fun in a written summary, it's just a silly funny video.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Boring video. Those guys would have got mugged in any hood.

The safest way to walk in a city?

I knew a guy once. He was a little, bespectacled. nervous type that exuded vulnerability from every pore. At work he had this perplexing habit of walking around corners really wide, as though they were detours to his path. One day I couldn't contain myself and asked him what was up with that. He used to live in New York city and got mugged. Lots of people got mugged in New York back then.

His rules to avoid being mugged was to avoid corners and alleys because his mugger suddenly reached out and pulled him into a dark alley. From then on he never walked the streets at night, and stayed clear of corners and alleyways, walking wide on the sidewalk whenever he encountered them.

He also looked ahead as he walked to see what he was walking into, something thats difficult for people who walk while texting.

Being situationally aware is a good idea. Looking like a distracted manimal in the herd paints a larger target on your back.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

typically i would agree with the whole "summary please?" request, but in this case its just a video of two dudes misconstruing descriptions of walking to comedic value.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I think you took it too seriously.

It's normal that some people don't find it funny, we all have different opinions and senses of humor.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I think you took it too seriously.

Heres a funny rabbit hole…

link

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

the ministry of silly walks nailed this 40 years ago

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Being situationally aware is a good idea. Looking like a distracted manimal in the herd paints a larger target on your back.

Agree. Be situationally aware but do it in a nonchalant way...keep scanning in front, even while in conversation, casually look in plate glass store fronts and see who is behind you. If you think someone is following, stop and really look in the window, as if there's something you like. Keeping awareness is 10% of not getting attacked. The other 90% is not putting yourself into situations where it can happen.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

And these would actually be good ideas, the thief would think the person is nuts and even they wouldn't want to be around them!

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

…casually look in plate glass store fronts and see who is behind you.

Forgot about that one. Crossing the street to see who's following or to avoid knots of people is another. Try not to wander right into gang central.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Cool, I'll just start yelling "Benny, where you at?" randomly on the streets. That should keep them away

But on a more serious note, I'm guilty of glaring at buildings when I'm in a zone I don't know, I'm European, so there are lots of old architecture and all that stuff and I like to appreciate it. Is that what I look like (minute 1)?

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
its nice being a big guy. Very few people will look at me and think it is worth the risk, effort, or time to see what I have in my pockets.

I stayed in a hotel in NYC near the Arthur Ashe stadium. The neighborhood was a project housing neighborhood in Queens. Stayed there a total of 2 months. Would walk up to Queen's Blvd to find food, maybe a 3 mile walk one way. Never once had anyone give me the slightest bit of trouble.

When we are in a really crowded area my 4'11" wife likes to tuck in behind me like i am a full back. I can push through a crowd of folks like noones business.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I'm guilty of glaring at buildings when I'm in a zone I don't know, I'm European, so there are lots of old architecture and all that stuff and I like to appreciate it.

As long as you don't carry a camera round your neck maybe they'll just think you're blind like Stevie Wonder.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Absolutely loved the video!

Favorite quotes:

"That dog wants to mug you."
"No pelvis thrusting?"

Pretty good stuff. Also enjoyed the serious responses in the thread

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: HanaDambi

Woah really? I didn't think anywhere in the world even used/had dial up anymore. *comfort*

If I had the cash, I could pay to have 3/4 of a mile of cable wired up from the nearest run. Or I could get an expensive satellite package that I can't afford too soon (at any rate).

So dial-up, it sucks big time, but I'm connected.
edit on 3-12-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Actual safe ways to walk:

Don't wear headphones. Idiots walking or jogging with headphones crack me up.

Look back at someone if they look at you - don't look down or away or frightened - let them know you see them. Source: psych class, years ago, it works.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Funny on the humor side, but practical? Nope.

The easiest way to not be mugged is to be aware; if your eyes are glued to a screen, fingers to a phone, or both headphones on, your asking for it.

One of the things I've caught myself doing is that almost every entrance I pass, I turn my head enough to register any motion in my peripheral vision. I picked up the habit when I did my first trip to Chicago, and was able to have some time to myself. My friend warned me that I looked plenty vulnerable, because I kept looking at everything except the sidewalk in front of me (aka, put a tourist sign above my head). So instead of full-on looking at the buildings or people, I'd only turn just enough for it to register.

-fossilera

top topics

join