It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

might buy 2 pistols tomorrow...kind of have it narrowed down...expert opinions please?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
im changing the way i feel about this pretty much over night.
i was never anti gun and i have experience shooting, but ive never owned my own until last night. i bought a shotgun(btw, i switched from the shells he recommended and got 00 buck)....

the way the world has been getting lately, people and all that. im starting to take the more pro active approach.

i am definitely buying 2 more pistols..and probably tomorrow but i might not stop after that.
i was at gander mountain looking at the gun safes today. im probably going to get one of those as well. just not sure what kind.

up until recently i have been thinking that more people on the street carrying would just make things worse. now im starting to change that. i dont want this to turn into a conceal carry thread cause i have not decided on that yet but i am thinking about it.
there is a shop in town that offers the classes and everything you need.
let me say that i would never carry without going through the proper checks and motions.
IF i carry it will be after the classes and with a permit.

for now though, just some expert help and opinions please...

i know everyone has their personal favorites and i expect to get different answers...that said, i have a few in mind so i wanted to know what you guys think of these....

first a question....im looking at a glock 23... .40 cal
what is the 23 for? what does that distinguish about the gun?
im looking and im seeing glock 23, glock 41, glock 34...just curious.

anyway, i have these on the list for possible purchases tomorrow. im linking from the gander mountain site but that does not mean that is where i will buy them.

first up, glock 23
www.gandermountain.com...

thats a nice looking gun. 10 round mag.....

taurus pt 24/7
www.gandermountain.com.../7-G2-Handgun&i=721819&r=view&from=grid

beretta 96 a1
-----------------------

leaning towards those for the semi auto. i will say if i decide to go for the conceal carry, i will get something just for that. more than likely a semi auto but i like the small/medium sized frame for that....not saying this specific gun but something this frame size

i would lean towards a gun like this for a conceal carry if i decide to go there. maybe not this specific gun, but the size

www.taurususa.com...

-------------------

back to the purchase for tomorrow. and if i do go with 2 more, i might get 2 semi auto's or a semi auto and a wheel gun but not 2 wheel guns
i do like the wheel guns too...
so i have those narrowed to these....

charter arms bulldog

smith and wesson 637

^^^i like that a lot. i used to shot a .38 with my dad...i know how those feel. as far as looks go i tend to like the shorter barrels

charter arms crimson bulldog

charter arms mag pug

this is the cab i am thinking about...something just to get me started. i have a trigger lock on the shotgun so im not too worried about having to lock it away. i know this is a low end cab but it will hold several pistols and they can be locked away from my daughter. thats all i care about.

-----------------------

thanks for looking. thanks for talking.
i know you guys are some serious experts about this and i pretty much know nothing...

the world has been getting crazy...people are unhinged and i cant have it.

thanks guys

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

As far as the glocks go the number distinguishes the frame style of the gun. The glock 23 is a compact .40 and is a nice gun to carry. The other glocks in .40 are the g22 (full size) and g27 (sub-compact). I have decent size mitts so I don't really care for their sub-compact guns, but I like the standard and compact lines.
The .40 ammo is good for carry too. It has more boom than a 9mm and more capacity than most .45's.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I am not an expert, so I hope you don't mind me chiming in.

I do love guns and shooting, and looking at guns, and hearing about them... lol. I only recognize two that you posted. My husband has the 96A1, it's a pleasure to shoot and we both spent lots of time on the range with it with no jamming or problems. I didn't care for it because the handgrip was a little big for me, but it fit him fine.

I really like that S&W .38 revolver you posted, I've been considering getting the airweight version myself, but I've heard that they are quite snappy recoil, so not sure if those are for me.

Great on you for considering a gun safe as well to keep your daughter safe. Consider practicing how quickly you can get it open and your firearm readied, because a home intruder wouldn't slow down to give you time to do that!

Best of luck!

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: hogstooth

thanks man.
i have pretty good size mitts too but i like the way the smaller frames look.
i will have to see how they feel in my hand though...

mojave, i like that 38 too. that is for sure high on the list.

the safe is a definite, even if i only get 1 pistol(which i wont).
i want to be able to keep them loaded and get to them easy...if i dont get that safe i linked then i am going to get one with a keypad....i dont want to mess with a combo lock.

the one i linked though cheap will keep her out of it and at the turn of a key i can have my loaded gun in my hand.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
It's all about shooting and practice. Being comfortable with what you have.

As far as the "wheel gun" have you thought about a .357? The Ruger SP101 has a very short barrel (2 1/4"),and the good thing about the .357 is it can chamber a .38, a .38+P, or a .357Mag so its a versatile gun for carry as well as "plinking".

I was told a long time ago "never go to a gun fight with anything that doesn't begin with a four". Words to live by for some. Realistically though you can carry a matched pair of .454 Casulls and it will not mean squat if you don't practice with them.

Even if you never plan to carry a weapon on the street, take the classes if you can. They are a trove of good information for any firearm owner. It's better to have the info and not need it, than need it and not have it.

+edit - you can always look for a biometric lock gunsafe. Rather than a keypad or key it opens with a finger swipe. Way faster and nothing to misplace - edit+
edit on 27-11-2014 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

You may or may not know that Glocks have no safety on them to keep you or someone else from accidentally firing it. So, that may be something to consider in your purchasing decision.

Having said that, the Glock does have a trigger lock safety, which is a very small button on the trigger that when depressed (when normally firing the gun) unlocks the trigger. What it's for is to keep the trigger locked and therefore the gun from accidentally going off when impacted or dropped.

Glocks are some of the easiest guns to disassemble and maintain out of all semi-automatic pistols. And while a .40 bullet will surely stop someone, you only get 10 in the mag. If you go 9mm, you'll get 15 in the mag, and 9mm has plenty of stopping power.

Revolvers are probably one of the safest handguns, and more dependable since it's rare for one to seize or lock up due to poor ammo or poor maintenance.

Also before you buy, you can go to many shooting ranges and rent guns to try. Might give you a feel for what you're looking for as well.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

ive fired a glock a taurus and beretta...various versions. I owned a glock 23 and a glock 22c for some time. Im a smaller guy so I found other pistols to be more comfortable but I probably put a few thousand rounds through mine (no joke) and used it in the field for various services. I think it is a great weapon for a real engagement.

Ive concealed carried quite a few different pistols and all of them were for a last resort...not a gun fight..they had limited rounds and I didnt carry a spare mag. So if I had to enter a fire fight with a pistol id take the glock 23 any day.

In regard to Taurus I have heard of them having some problems in the past but I dont remember off the top of my head what specific model. I woudlnt let that totally push Taurus off the table either as another friend of mine carries one in the field.

That little smith and wesson is slick looking haha...i know very little about revolvers sadly but that one looks nifty
edit on 27-11-2014 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

i didnt know that about the no safety thing...i dont think it would be a big deal as it would be locked up unless i had to get after it in an emergency or decided to carry,
i will have to think about that though...not sure how i feel about it just yet

200plus, i did not know the .357 could carry all those rounds...i like that..im going to have a look at that one you mentioned after i post this
is the ruger the only .357 you can load like that or do they all hold different size rounds?

rockpaper, if i decide to carry it would be a last resort type thing...i dont know if it would be better to have a wheel gun with less rounds or something that holds 15.
i dont want to be out there armed to the hilt you know....

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I won't recommend a particular firearm for you as I don't know how big or small your hands are. But I will recommend if you are buying two, then get them both in the same caliber. That'll save you money and you adapt to both that much quicker.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

you sure about it being able to hold different rounds?

there are 3 options.
2 say .357 and the other says .38+p

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

im 6'' 3 and 220lbs.
pretty good size. hands match the rest.
minus the finger on the left

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
My favourite caliber is 38 super......
my choice would be Colt Commander in that calibur....

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
HK 40 with a tapped barrel fora silencer can that is what spec warfare sailors are using

Or p97 Ruger 45 with de cocker a little heavier but they definitely stay down

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: bkfd54

cant mess with a silencer.
thats asking for major trouble as far as i know

i want to be absolutely legit with everything

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
For the price of one of those you can get this

America is the best.

Berettas are nice, can configure to be left or right handed pretty easy, ambidextrous tumb safety, altmost never jams, but the shells can go everywhere, 9mm is nice too.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Glock 23 is just a smaller version of a 22. I carried one for a couple of years, Glock 22 that is. I have larger hands so I prefer the 22 model. If you have the extra cash, try Sig Sauer. I trained on a P220 .45 caliber and I CC a P220 .40/.357 Sig. I like the Sig better than the Glock. You have an actual hammer. The single action/double action allows for a reduction in the amount of pressure it takes to pull the trigger. Reduced pressure allows more accurate shots. If you can cock that hammer, you will have a more accurate first shot. I wouldn't carry one cocked. Practice with the hammer decocked. In a true survival situation you won't have time to cock that hammer back so practice, practice, practice. Most people will pull shots to the left or right by jerking in anticipation of recoil, noise, or any other factor associated with using a firearm. So you just have to train that inate reaction out. The type of firearm you select should reflect your self defense goals. I, personally, always consider the fit/feel of the gun in my hand, magazine capacity, safety features, ease of reload, cost of ammunition. My father had a .460 Rowland built on a 1911 frame. Excellent gun. He carried with him when he delivered mail in certain areas. It was his favorite pistol. It was just fun for him to carry I think. However, the ammunition would make it impractical for a beginner to use for practical self defense. My father had about 30 years military service. Just find something practical that feels good; that's safe; that's reliable; that you can readily feed ammo so you can learn how to use it. Don't let somebody talk you into something impractical. Just my two cents. Maybe a little more than two cents. Good Luck. Happy Thanksgiving.
edit on 27-11-2014 by TruthHurtz
edit on 27-11-2014 by TruthHurtz because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

When I see someone who suddenly changes their mindset and decides they need a gun after some incident shakes them up a little bit, well, it kind of worries me. I suggest to anyone I know who is buying their first guns or getting their concealed carry permit for the first time that they read a book called "In the Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob. Mr Ayoob is a gun writer and an ex-police officer.

In his book he describes very graphically what happens when a person decides to use deadly force. He covers the legal, moral, and psychological issues that result when using a gun to defend yourself. He also covers the basics of Self Defense laws and goes into detail how to respond if you get shot yourself.

I had been around guns all my life and found it to be a very good and informative book, and it changed my own thought process about carrying a concealed weapon. There is a LOT of implications in making the decision to arm yourself with deadly force.

You also need to know that there are people out there who have no fear of guns, and will challenge you whether you suddenly display one or not. People on the streets may consider that they have nothing to lose, and that makes them a lot bolder than you might think.

You need to consider whether you are willing to take a human life to protect yourself. Too many people think well I will shoot them in the knee if I have to shoot. A person can bleed out in under two minutes if the femoral artery is damaged and using deadly force is something that should not be undertaken without some serious soul searching. A weapon should never be pulled out unless taking that life is justified.

Ok, I will get down off my soapbox and quit preaching. That book is highly recommended

As to your pistol choices, they all have something to offer. I am not a Glock guy simply because I don't like the look of them and the grip angle is wrong for me. Taurus makes a good product nowadays and Beretta makes a fine product also and has the butter slick action I like on a semi-auto. I suggest you go look at and handle the very gun you will buy and not buy one from an online source. Hold them in your hands, go to a gunrange with a rental counter and try them out. Find the one that says, "Oh yeah this is it!"

edit on 27-11-2014 by Coopdog because: added on

edit on 27-11-2014 by Coopdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Coopdog

no need to worry.
not gonna get into all my views of taking someone out and under what circumstances.

this has been several years in the making really.
the events as of late and the world in general just put it all in play.

i used to shoot with my dad and uncles...been around guns, just never owned my own.

i am not to the point where i want to carry but im tossing the idea around...
it seems rash because i just started talking about it but since my wife and i got married 3 years ago i have been telling her i want to get some(1, a couple) guns for the house...other things always came up be it money or time to start getting into it.
the events of late kicked me into gear and it just so happens that money and time is something i have quite a bit of right now.

timing more than anything

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Grovit,

Please do not be fooled by the myth of the .40 caliber... it's just 9mm with a more effective PR department. As with ANY pistol caliber shot placement is key! The two things .40 caliber does have noticeably more of however is the amount of wear and tear they accrue and the amount of recoil you are subjected to with every shot.

Now onto the actual pistol choice... Glock's numbering system does have some arcane meaning however I am not privy to these secrets! Additionally ... if you were to purchase two grand powers the absolute MOST you will be out of pocket is around $700 dollars!

When compared to the cost of glocks on average ($400-$500) the $100 to $300 price differential would be enough to buy a substantial amount of 115 grain FMJ ammunition if you buy online and in bulk!

Also quite frankly the grand power is a MUCH better pistol... Grand Power is in the class of Sig or other Boutique and even bespoke gun manufacturers.

The extremely low bore axis will also facilitate an easier learning experience and in general be a better pistol when it comes to follow up shots.

Also the reliability levels are comparable or better than a glock.... So why not get a ferrari at Geo Metro prices!

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: roguetechie

thanks for the heads up on that..
just checked them out and looked at the catalog

www.eagleimportsinc.com...

no prices so i guess i have to call.

that grand power k-100 x is pretty slick

thunder pro ultra is nice

the mac 3011 ssd tactical is nice too. with the laser sights....damn...

why no prices?

www.cheaperthandirt.com...

seems like a good price...
im going to go to the shop tomorrow and see how i go about arranging the transfer in case i see something on line....something like the link above...the price is nice
edit on 27-11-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join