It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NFL player Benjamin Watson's Ferguson post on Facebook goes viral

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Just came across this "shared" story on my Facebook wall and felt it was worth sharing. NFL player Benjamin Watson decided to take to Facebook after the Michael Brown decision and shared his thoughts on the situation. Rarely do you find articulate athletes today. I believe this guy makes some interesting points and i always enjoy getting another persons perspective on any matter.

Anyways, below is the FB message. Curious to see what others think? Maybe you are already tired of this subject and that's fair too..

I'M ANGRY because the stories of injustice that have been passed down for generations seem to be continuing before our very eyes.

I'M FRUSTRATED, because pop culture, music and movies glorify these types of police citizen altercations and promote an invincible attitude that continues to get young men killed in real life, away from safety movie sets and music studios.

I'M FEARFUL because in the back of my mind I know that although I'm a law abiding citizen I could still be looked upon as a "threat" to those who don't know me. So I will continue to have to go the extra mile to earn the benefit of the doubt.

I'M EMBARRASSED because the looting, violent protests, and law breaking only confirm, and in the minds of many, validate, the stereotypes and thus the inferior treatment.

I'M SAD, because another young life was lost from his family, the racial divide has widened, a community is in shambles, accusations, insensitivity hurt and hatred are boiling over, and we may never know the truth about what happened that day.

I'M SYMPATHETIC, because I wasn't there so I don't know exactly what happened. Maybe Darren Wilson acted within his rights and duty as an officer of the law and killed Michael Brown in self defense like any of us would in the circumstance. Now he has to fear the backlash against himself and his loved ones when he was only doing his job. What a horrible thing to endure. OR maybe he provoked Michael and ignited the series of events that led to him eventually murdering the young man to prove a point.

I'M OFFENDED, because of the insulting comments I've seen that are not only insensitive but dismissive to the painful experiences of others.

I'M CONFUSED, because I don't know why it's so hard to obey a policeman. You will not win!!! And I don't know why some policeman abuse their power. Power is a responsibility, not a weapon to brandish and lord over the populace.

I'M INTROSPECTIVE, because sometimes I want to take "our" side without looking at the facts in situations like these. Sometimes I feel like it's us against them. Sometimes I'm just as prejudiced as people I point fingers at. And that's not right. How can I look at white skin and make assumptions but not want assumptions made about me? That's not right.

I'M HOPELESS, because I've lived long enough to expect things like this to continue to happen. I'm not surprised and at some point my little children are going to inherit the weight of being a minority and all that it entails.

I'M HOPEFUL, because I know that while we still have race issues in America, we enjoy a much different normal than those of our parents and grandparents. I see it in my personal relationships with teammates, friends and mentors. And it's a beautiful thing.

I'M ENCOURAGED, because ultimately the problem is not a SKIN problem, it is a SIN problem. SIN is the reason we rebel against authority. SIN is the reason we abuse our authority. SIN is the reason we are racist, prejudiced and lie to cover for our own. SIN is the reason we riot, loot and burn. BUT I'M ENCOURAGED because God has provided a solution for sin through the his son Jesus and with it, a transformed heart and mind. One that's capable of looking past the outward and seeing what's truly important in every human being. The cure for the Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice and Eric Garner tragedies is not education or exposure. It's the Gospel. So, finally, I'M ENCOURAGED because the Gospel gives mankind hope."

Link to Story
edit on 26-11-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I love it. I thank you for sharing it and wished there were more people that shared his views. I think he's dead on the money myself.

He's shared some wise advice, some honest thoughts, and some harsh truths. Kudos to him for having the audacity to do so KNOWING what is likely going to follow. While many will agree (as in already going viral), there will be many more that do not and those will be the ones who will make it a mission to let him know that they do not agree and try to get him to shut up.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I love it. I thank you for sharing it and wished there were more people that shared his views. I think he's dead on the money myself.

He's shared some wise advice, some honest thoughts, and some harsh truths. Kudos to him for having the audacity to do so KNOWING what is likely going to follow. While many will agree (as in already going viral), there will be many more that do not and those will be the ones who will make it a mission to let him know that they do not agree and try to get him to shut up.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Agreed.. I find it to be a breath of fresh air when you see adults acting like adults, talking like adults and not getting nasty because you feel strongly one way or another.

I understand that there are plenty of intelligent athletes out there today. Unfortunately, we rarely hear about them, and we always hear/read about the ones who make poor choices. I actually enjoyed seeing an athlete in a positive light for a change, sharing his thoughts in a very articulate manner.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I actually read his thoughts. He seems more intelligent than most athletes. Breath of fresh air after reading his comments. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Wow, he summed it up nicely!!

Nicely done....now if some of those people in Ferguson could read it [including Brown's Mom & step-Dad]

But first, they would have to understand the meaning behind his words , not sure if they can nor want to

Only then maybe we could move forward from this tragedy and learn from it

Thanks for sharing....

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Absolutely fantastic. If only this were the prevailing sentiment.

Is racism not just the most asinine worldview? Truly thought up, I think, to keep the masses from rising up together to threaten the power of the elite. I don't know how it persists in a world where we interact one race with another. If I had never seen a black person presumably you could feed me a bunch of rumors and lies, but not now, it seems like the idea should be laughable. He/she is inferior/superior/violent/greedy/lazy because their dna produces melanin in a differing amount than your own does. I'm reasonably sure that just about any of the myriad categories, into which man has placed himself and his fellows, there has been, just as with the individual, a mixture of good and bad.

As we all know "You take the good, you take the bad, you take 'em both and there you'll have Three's Company too."

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Good post up until the religious rhetoric. When I don't know the answers, when I can't find the truth, I'll keep looking, not fall into the religious/spiritual trap. Thanks, but no thanks.

It is not a 'sin problem'. It's a completely normal human animal issue. The multicultural experiment will continue to fail because it just doesn't work and it never will until something fundamental changes within us, no matter how they try to condition us otherwise. As individuals you may have your distinct and individual ideas about racism and multiculturalism. However, as a collective, the races will continue to segregate themselves and follow instinctual programming, just as we've always done, and just like we're doing right now. We will never find the truth about the ugliness of racism by looking for answers in spirituality or the bible. People don't want the real truth anyway. They want to be right and they want to be righteous. The truth may be far uglier than we want to admit about ourselves (eg: collective racism may have genetic components that are instinctual and completely NATURAL).

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Calalini

Yea, he had me until that last little religious part, but I still like the message nevertheless...

top topics

join