It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very warm bedroom after troubled sleep

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Let me start by saying there could well be a normal explanation for this. I do believe in the paranormal, but I tend to look for a rational explanation whenever possible.

I've been dealing with depression and anxiety since my teens (currently mid-30s). It's something that has often manifested in my sleep/dreams and I often have very vivid and emotionally exhausting dreams. I've noticed recently that sometimes after I've had a really rough night's sleep I'll wake up and the bedroom will be oppressively warm. I don't feel particularly feverish myself, and my body and sheets are completely free from sweat (there have been many times in the past when I've woken in a sweat) but the room just has an intense dry heat that I can't really explain.

This is something I'm observing at 3am-5am so it's highly unlikely that it's residual heat from the day, particularly as I don't notice any unusual heat in the room when going to bed. The heat lingers too, I'll walk back into my room after being awake for 90 minutes and the heat will hit me like a wall it's still so intense.

I've often wondered whether my emotional problems might be caused or at least worsened by some sort of spiritual influence, but there are so many different schools of thought on the spirit world and each has a different take - so it's something I've never particularly pursued. There's another reason I'm considering a paranormal explanation, though it requires a short story to explain.

In my 20s I lived with a mate of mine who was quite heavily into magic. He would often do spells to help him find a job, make money, that sort of thing. One evening while I was in my room I noticed a similar sort of heat in my room that I couldn't otherwise explain. The following day I felt compelled to ask him whether he'd been doing any magic the previous night and he told me that he had. He mentioned he was working with some powerful forces and didn't seems surprised that I had experienced a heat like that.

I try to stay open-minded in general, both about any possible rational or paranormal explanations. The insulation on my apartment is quite good, so it tends to stay fairly cool even in the summer - but I guess good insulation could also store any heat generated within the room. That said, if I was even a little above normal body temperature - let alone enough to warm the room to the point where it stays warm for over an hour - I would expect to sweat. I asked my doctor about it and she seemed to doubt the heat was being generated by my body (though didn't have much in the way of other suggestions) Also the apartment itself is generally cool; certainly I have more problems keeping it warm in the winter than I do keeping it cool in the summer.

I don't know what to think, nor where to post this. I'm open to suggestion. I'm going to try and get some sage to burn in the room, just in case.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
You had me at 'warm bedroom'. As for the depression and anxiety, are you drinking lots and lots of water? Some depressions (but not all, of course) are simply a symptom of dehydration. As for the surprise heat, I dunno.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Me too, reason for reading ats atm. lol
I have pretty much the same history as well.
I wake up with my chest overheated and itchy.
I sleep with a sheet and no blanket.

Something to mention, that vivid dreams can sometimes flex your muscles and generate heat.
The only solution I have found is in the "herbal" remedy. It stops you from dreaming and relaxes you. I'm not pushing new habits, but telling you what worked for me. One beer helped as well.

This was particularly helpful for me during a ptsd inducing type of trauma. The results where unreal.I am not sure what else helps.

The dreams were absolutely psychotic otherwise and my health was deteriorating because of the out of wack circadian rhythms. The stress can cause major physical problems.

If you think you are dealing with actual temp fluctuations vs. body temp fluctuations, run and grab a cheap digital thermometer and jot down room time & temps throughout the night.

Body heat will heat a room big time, but slowly, so you wake up hot, especially if it's insulated well.

Not sure of your hvac situation, if you are on a central air unit, you can relocate, or place another thermostat in the room fairly easily. That will stop any environmental temperature fluctuations at the source.

If not an option, sleep with the door open, so you don't trap the heat in.

Good luck

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   
silly question .... but am guessing you dont live in flats, or similar structure where heat could be rising from someone elses environment ...

perhaps the heat is contribiuting to restless eleep, as opposed to the sleep contributing to the heat ...

also if you sleep in a small boxy room, and have no air con or window open, then inevtably, it would get very warm and humid ... of course these are common sense things that am sure you would have written off well before considering writing here ..

But i may as well mention them anyway before someone else does ...

ETA - also .. am guessin you don't live with yr friend any more ..
Do you sleep above a boiler ?

edit on 26-11-2014 by Segenam because: .... i love to edit ....

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Although I don't suffer from depression, I don't sleep terribly well most nights (it's a 'woman's age thing). I have noticed for the past 2 years or so now that around the time you have said OP that my bedroom is a lot warmer too.

However,what is more disconcerting is during the summer months. Window is open and I get woken up around that same time frame and it's even warmer.....I cannot figure it.

Jane

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   
The magic thing your past room mate was doing is the key to your problem. It sounds like you are being slowly oppressed by association to your room mate. You probably need a professional to make this go bye bye, and I am being serious. Don't putter around with this, call a professional, not a ghost investigator, (they will just try to use it to capture evidence of the paranormal. This is worse than that.)

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

@Aleister I've actually been drinking way more water recently than ever before, though probably still not enough. It's definitely a good thing to keep in mind though, and you've inspired me to grab a glass of water now

@Mandroid7 It's funny those synchronicities. I wasn't really sure where else to turn, and Google wasn't giving me much to work with. Ironically, I also use 'herbal' remedies to help with the dreams. I find that during times of particular stress (like the times when I notice the warm room) the dreams will still cut through a little, but I generally only remember a scenes or two and simply remember having had dreams. Without, the dreams are brutal and stay with me for the rest of the day.

I've definitely been thinking I should pick up a digital thermometer and start recording temperatures so I can be a bit more empirical about what I'm experiencing. I may even start using Sleep as Android again to track my sleep cycles in conjunction with room temperatures.

Unfortunately my apartment is fairly busy and noise carries so it's quite difficult for me to sleep with the window/door open. But lately I have been sleeping with the window slightly open and the heat is certainly less when I wake up, though still present. There is no AC or even any real ventilation in the bedroom, so that's definitely not helping - though the heat still has to be coming from somewhere and I really can't imagine my body heating the entire room to such an extent - though I'm not willing to rule it out either. Perhaps I should pick up an oral thermometer and include body-temp readings when I start recording things. I sometimes sleep with a fairly large pedestal fan on, but like all fans when there's a heat source, it really only moves the hot air around.

@Segenam I do live in flats/apartments, though I live on the 'first' floor. It's not technically on the ground, my neighbours cars are parked beneath my apartment - but unless they're leaving the car running (and only one of two neighbours generally gets home in the evening) I can't see the car generating enough heat for it to transfer to my apartment. Even then it's not like it's an enclosed car-space, it's mostly open and I expect the warm air would escape quite easily.

Absolutely air-circulation is an issue in my bedroom, and as mentioned above the noise factor makes it difficult to change that. But I am taking that into account when considering the way above normal heat in my bedroom in the wee hours of the morning. The fact that the room is holding on to the heat is definitely a problem with the design of my apartment. Where the heat is actually coming from is of much bigger concern to me - more on that below.

@Jane (angelchemuel) This is exactly when I'm noticing it (southern hemisphere here), during summer when the days are warm but the evenings are cool. The rest of the apartment as well as the ambient temperature outside are both well below normal, but the temperature in my bedroom is well above normal. I'm not too surprised that the heat does linger, but how much it lingers is indicative of how much heat is being generated and it seems strange to me.

Here's a comparison in lieu of real data while I organise a thermometer and start taking measurements. I've used computers all my life. Many times I've had a fairly powerful computer running in a small, poorly-ventilated bedroom playing videogames for many hours at a time. The heat generated in that situation is still somewhat less than what I'm experiencing after a similar length of time simply lying in bed sleeping. I feel like if I could harness the heat energy my body is producing (assuming that's where it's coming from, and not some paranormal source) then I would never have to pay for electricity again!

That may be extreme, but the point is the temperatures I'm experiencing seem very high for a resting body temperature below what would be considered fever. My instinct tells me that this excess heat is not being generated by my body, but I'm not willing to rule it out - particularly since I don't have a clue where else it could be coming from!

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TheStev
what is through the wall from you ...
maybe your neighbour is doing or growing something they shouldnt ...
does any wall in your room feel particuarly warmer than the others to the touch ?

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

I've gotta say, in my heart I keep coming back to something along these lines. I want to explain it away rationally but I'm struggling to do so.

I definitely wouldn't be looking for a paranormal investigator (though I tend to approach the situation as an amateur one myself) but as I mentioned there are so many schools of thought I'm not sure what sort of 'professional' to go for. From Catholic exorcism to Shamanic healing and everywhere in between it seems like each school has a different idea of what might be the cause of the issue, and a different plan on how to 'fix' it. Most of them seem to say that what the other ones are doing is making the situation worse.

So while I'm not yet convinced that this is what's going on, I am considering it as a possibility and am definitely doing so seriously. But if you have any tips on what sorts of keywords you would suggest when looking for such a professional I would appreciate it. I'm at a bit of a loss!

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Segenam

I don't have any bedroom walls that are adjoining walls to neighbouring apartments. Two lead directly outside (one with a window, one without), one joins the main living/dining room area and the other joins the bathroom. There is a pipe that runs vertically from the ceiling to floor, but I'm pretty sure it's a waste pipe (kinda gross, I try not to think about it - let's hope it never breaks!) so I doubt any heat would be generated there.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   

I have experienced something similar on numerous occasions... So at the very least the "sensation" you are feeling is not just you.

You say the room is hot, but what is the actual temperature variation? Do you have a thermostat in your room or a thermometer, or are you relying solely on the fact that you *feel as though the room is abnormally warm? I ask not to doubt you but in my case it was my blood pressure. I have a long history of horrible dreams, nighmares, night terrors, etc. One of the sensations i still feel quite often is the heat. I, personally, am hot natured and find it hard to get cool enough as it is lol But i used to wake up quite frequently and think that the room was hot. I too talked to my doctor and he told me he thought it was probably coming from me more so than the room... But no really as residual body heat.

IN my early 20s it happened quite frequently to me, and luckily the apartment i was living in had a thermostat with a digital thermometer in the room. Granted i didnt check everytime it happened, because tbh im a bit lazy lol and couldnt always force myself out of the bed to go check... but on a regular enough basis when i WOULD check the thermometer would show no change in the actual temperature even though it felt to me that the room was easily 5 or more degrees warmer. (I usually keep my thermostats on 67/68 F)

To make a rambling story short what I , and my doctor after giving me a home BP monitoring cuff, ended up deciding was that either the dreams or some otherwise natural process within my body was in-fact raising my blood pressure and giving me that warm 'flushed" feeling when i woke up. Similar to a niacin rush if you drink sports drinks. That was why I would wake up and feel as the the room were very warm, yet there wouldnt be an actual temperature difference in the room. There are actually several medical conditions mild to some more severe ones that could cause that very sensation... though not many that would only present when you are sleeping

If you havent done so or dont have a way, i would maybe find a way to keep track of the actual temp in your room throughout the night and especially when you wake up and have an "episode". That will at least tell you if you are just feeling as though the room is warmer, or if indeed there is an actual temperature change. That at least should help you narrow down the cause a bit more.

Is there something else that has made you feel this was paranormal in some way? Other than you prior roomate...I dont think, IMO, thats where this is coming from... Any apparitions, unexplained noises, bad "feeling"s when you wake up? And are you having nightmares, or are you even remembering your dreams... or do you wake up BECAUSE its hot?

ETA: I just saw one of your replies to another thread with a bit more explination. The temperature is different between your room and other rooms in the house that would lead more credence to an actual temperature difference. I would still recommend getting a thermostat and trying to keep track of it for a little while. Wouldnt be a bad idea to keep track of your personal body temp as well, as you noted
edit on 483052305am30America/Chicagov by itswhatev because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
This may sound odd , but I would point to the sage here and say get rid of it. Please try this before judging this advice , and give it a day or two. Whatever is happening , the sage is not helping , and may be aggravating the situation somehow.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Temperature variants are interesting after events like this. I've experienced the entire room I'm in being easily 20 degrees hotter than is explainable, and I've had the exact opposite happen at times too. I think these extradimensional beings like to show off their power over nature in a way that is undeniable so that whatever rational part of you exists cannot easily dismiss it as "just a dream." Heck, I've had the whole room aglow with neon lights as strange mandala like sigils pulsated from the walls of the room. Just a hallucination? I guess we'll find out at some point. ;p

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I heard something about temp rises if someone's thyroid is out of kilter?
Worth looking into, altho I'd get a wall thermometer & maybe a barometer just cause.....

Good luck with this!!
It's can't be easy for you.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Hey Stev - I'm going to give my opinion from a Christian viewpoint.

You've already made the connection between your friend/magic/spiritual. Your friend messing around with magic has invited evil into your own life. We are very vulnerable when we sleep as our guard is down.

Are you a Christian at all? If so you have authority to eliminate evil from your life. All you have to do is rebuke, simply say, "In the name of Jesus I rebuke you." And it has to leave. Just calling out on the name of Jesus is enough to send them fleeing. Tonight whether a Christian or not ask God to send one of his angels to watch over you. You will have a safe sleep.

Feel free to pm me if you wish. I have dealt with evil dreams living in evil infused houses and also grew up with sleep paralysis.

Take care and I'll be praying for you tonight.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheStev
... there have been many times in the past when I've woken in a sweat ...

Here's a link to a long list of some of the things which can cause "night sweats" ... wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_sweats
edit on 26-11-2014 by engvbany because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
You need to turn your heating down bro.
If you live in social housing where they keep the heating on full blast all the time you need to complain, or leave. A overheated room can cause psychosis. Overheated environments are not good for us.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Thanks again for the replies.

@itswhatev There's nothing else I can really put my finger on. I get strange coincidences sometimes. I recently got fined for driving while unregistered because the postal notifications for my renewals went missing. In this country we get 2 letters sent, one from the govt one from our insurer. Neither of these letters were received. Maybe someone just happened to raid my letter-box (which is separated by some distance from my apartment). But it's weird.

Twice in my life I've heard a strange sound, but I expect the sounds I heard could be explained physiologically. What I experienced was a loud buzzing that got louder and louder until it cut out. Sort of like the sensation of a mosquito flying past your ear, but the biggest, loudest, almost-mechanical-sounding mosquito you've ever heard in your life. It was the same sound both times I heard it, and I was lying in bed at the time. So while it was in the same room as this heat I'm experiencing, it was also during a time when my body was getting ready for sleep so there are all sorts of physiological things going on. Somewhat like the heat though, it felt unusual (even paranormal) so that's why I mention it here.

Money's pretty tight but I definitely want to get myself a thermometer asap so I can be more empirical about observing this.

@bluemooone2 Don't worry - nothing sounds odd to me anymore
That said, I never ended up getting any sage - was going to speak to the lady I buy my incense from at the markets the next time I'm out there. But this is a perfect example of contradicting mentalities. I know many people suggest sage is good for warding off evil spirits, but now you tell me (and I believe you're being genuine at least) that it could be making things worse. Assuming it is something paranormal, which it may not be, it makes it so difficult to know who to believe and which course of action to take to resolve the situation!

@Nechash Interesting! I'm not sure how much truth there is to it, or if it's just something that has made its way into our popular culture, but the 'ghosts making a room cold' idea leads me to wonder about supernatural causes for unnatural heat. If I follow the full thought experiment, I wonder if some human spirits might require energy to manifest and so draw the heat energy from the room. And if perhaps some non-human spirits use a similar energy (of their own making essentially) to manifest and this energy is perceived as heat.

@Caver78 This sounds about right, if I'm not mistaken the thyroid does manage body temperature among other things. But other than a few night sweats which I'm fairly confident are caused by anxiety, I don't really have problems with my body temperature - just the actual room temperature. As mentioned the stark change in temperature between rooms in the apartment suggests it's not something internal that I'm perceiving as external.

@ccseagull Thanks for posting, I'm definitely interested to hear a Christian perspective. Am I Christian 'at all' is a very interesting question. I would definitely say I'm at least somewhat Christian, but I come from a Christian family and I tend to think most of them probably wouldn't consider me 'Christian'. I think different people have different definitions, and I tend to think belief should be a changeable thing.

So I guess "yes and no"
I do pray, and have asked for help with/protection from this. But I've always experienced such varying levels of 'spirituality' and actual practical belief in the spirit world within Christianity, along with different ideas of what behaviours can 'invite evil into your life'. Some would even say interest in the paranormal and/or UFOs is enough, and this site is probably (according to them) a hot-bed for demonic activity. As such it's something I've struggled to really reconcile (my Christian beliefs with my belief in the paranormal to put it simply)

I'm open to the Christian explanation & solution, and may PM you but I do have some major issues with 'Christianity' as it's common defined.

@engvbany Thanks, I've investigated the night-sweats before as I know they can (in some cases) have quite serious causes. I'm fairly confident that the cause in this case is anxiety, as they have historically been combined with intense and even torturous dreams. Certainly I've mentioned them to my doc and she doesn't seem particularly concerned. They only happen every now and then - perhaps once every few months?

@funkadeliaaaa I wish this was an option! I'm not using any heating right now during summer. Even during winter I never have any electrical heating in my bedroom. My apartment complex doesn't have any built-in heating, though I do live in Australia so we're more about keeping things cool in winter than we are about keeping things warm during winter (I know that's the case in many Northern Hemisphere countries)

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I'm also in my 20s and it' funny you should mention this heat thing because I've been experiencing similar over the past year. I also have a difficult time waking up in the morning, almost like I get stuck in my dreams briefly and have a hard time differentiating reality from dreams when I initially wake up. My mom thinks it might be something paranormal (and I wouldn't be surprised either) but I honestly don't know. s&f im also interested to see if anyone knows more about this

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I'll be honest here. I don't believe in religion as such. Religion is man made and there are too many people condemning each other and not trying to grow. Having said that I am a Christian as I believe Jesus died for my sins and I believe Him to be the son of God and that there is a Holy Spirit. That the Bible is the inspired word of God written down as a guide for us.

There is supernatural power in this world which is what your friend was dabbling with. And that power comes from one of two sources: God or the devil. The devil is sly and will let things work in one's favour and one gets deeper and deeper into the occult. Anytime this power is accessed it opens a door for more evil to flow through. Anyone in the same area as the person instigating this is affected and evil can easily latch onto you. And why not, we're all sitting ducks unless we know how to safeguard ourselves from it happening or know how to banish it completely. Even Christians can become oppressed and attacked but we just have to send them packing.

Anything that instills fear into you is not of God. So you're experiencing more than just a hot room. It most likely started out with bad dreams. Then something weird happened. Now the weirdness is pretty common. It will just escalate from here. Whatever evil has arrived will keep growing and growing and torment you more and more.

No one should live or walk in fear. As a Christian just rebuke stuff when it happens. You can, as a believer, also bless any oil around the house and you will have Holy Oil. You can then bless your room/house/any possessions you have or doorways into your room, like your tv, computer, cell phone. Bless it in the name of the Father, Jesus and Holy Spirit. I have some prayers you can say but even this is enough. Ask for God to send His angels to surround your room every night, over you as you sleep and your every day activities, over your dreams. There is a supernatural battle occurring every day over our lives, our finances, health, relationships.

Some of the things I used to believe as a Christian are now things I am wiser about, have matured about, have grown in. A Christian is always learning and so no matter where you are as a Christian we cannot put each other down or say you don't know enough. Your belief in God and what Jesus did for you is enough and our awareness is a continual growth until we are united with Him. I am not trying to put any other Christian down but only saying that as I see too much infighting and arguing over who is right and wrong.

And yes, you can try non Christian techniques such as the sage or any other number of things. But in my belief that will only amp things up for you and prolong your experiences. Good luck and yeah, let me know if I can help in any way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join