It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This scar....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I have this scar on my arm. It's only about 4 inches long, and it's extremely faint. I got it about 2 years ago.... Or maybe 1. It's hard to remember. I did it to myself. In a fit, caused by a bad situation, because I was so lost I didn't know what to do. So I grabbed a pair of sicssors and cut myself.

Like I said, it is barely visible as a scar, so it was a superficial wound. But, I was so ashamed of it. I bandaged it up and had a fairly plausible excuse should anyone ask. It seemed like it took a little longer to heal.... And I was ashamed of it. And tonight, when I looked down and noticed it, I was ashamed. It was no way to deal with my stressors, and now I have a reminder. Now, when I am faced with difficult situations I remember that night and how I thought that would help..... And how it didn't , and that I have to find strength in myself to face the hurdles.

Thanks for listening.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   

I remember the first time I heard of people cutting themselves and was surprised. Is this a fairly new thing? I mean there are so many disorders out there that we have all heard of throughout the years, but I don't remember cutting going very far back in history. I hope you keep things in control and no longer harm yourself. Hugs!

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Scars serve as our own little "kodak moments" in life. They remind us of our bad choices, failed attempts, even our heroic deeds. They each tell a story, and remind us of our lessons learned. They are as precious as life itself as they are earned by living life.

Embrace your scar, and more importantly embrace what it represents to you. Learn from it and move forward to a better existence.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

It takes strength to speak about matters that we take to heart. I'm positive the strength to overcome your burdens is within you, it's just a matter of letting it out

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Scars are kind of like tattoos in my opinion. They serve as a sort of roadmap to our lives. Sometimes we can look at them and wish we could have/relive those moments again. Others? Others are to remind us where we have been, how far we have come, and where we do not wish to venture again.

Some are for love, beauty, and art. Others happened when we felt like we didn't have enough of those things in our lives.

All are very much a part of who we are at this very moment in time. Take it for what it is. Look at it and know that you got over a hurdle in life and it served to make you stronger. You didn't let it break you... Celebrate that fact. Do not be ashamed of it.
edit on 11/23/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Every scar tells a story. My skin is a library.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I've been there OP. Have them on an arm and I wear long sleeves most of the time due to it. Just lucky I have a gf who doesn't judge me based off of stupid mistakes I made as a teenager.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
That took much courage to share OP, so perhaps you should replace that shame with bravery. And recognize your scar as a medal of honour for a battle won - and win you did, as you realized it was not the answer you were seeking. [[HUGS]]

We all have scars to bear; some of us are born with them, some of us acquire them - and all of us have stressors, to greater and lesser degrees; but they exist nonetheless.

I found this Tumblr page a long time ago, and saved it, because I thought it was worthy of sharing...it contains individual contributions and pictures of scars, or anything else one may not love about their body. Our bodies are road maps of what we've survived, and we ought to embrace that. Keep your chin up, you do not walk alone. Namasté

Our Skin

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   

The only scars I have on my body, I earned by opposition to oppression, surgery, action, determination, or just plain accident. They, like the grey hair in my head, are like rings inside a mighty tree. They detail the crap I have been through, and some of them even remind me of good times!

If the best you can do, is look down at your history, written in your flesh itself, and remind yourself which paths end in oblivion, then I would certainly take advantage of that, although I can understand how you personally might not be able to be entirely objective about that at all times!

This might fall on deaf ears, but I would like to add one thing. If you are going to damage someone, make sure it is someone else next time! Chances are, there are people out there who deserve it far more than you do!

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. I had never told anyone about that episode, and felt I needed to let it out. I appreciate you listening and offering your input

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   

My dear, my arms are covered in scars known as track scars...

Our scars are some of our darkest memories, but they made us who we are today. With out them, we would be much different, but not necessarily any better.

Never be ashamed of where you came from. Know that it only matters where we are, and where we choose to go from here.
edit on 7-8-2015 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh

And tonight, when I looked down and noticed it, I was ashamed. It was no way to deal with my stressors, and now I have a reminder. Now, when I am faced with difficult situations I remember that night and how I thought that would help..... And how it didn't , and that I have to find strength in myself to face the hurdles.

Thanks for listening.

It's almost as if your past self has sent you a message - and you've learnt from it. I'd take that as a gift.

There's no shame in bouncing back from rock bottom

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hijinx

Know that it only matters where we are, and where we choose to go from here.

That is the best logic, but very hard sometimes.

But I have found since I originally posted this thread, and the support and positivity I recieved from fellow members, I no longer feel the shame when I notice my scar.

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: berenike

It is a gift!

new topics

top topics

join