It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grammar Nazis - Get knotted! Cheap shots ahoy!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Can we please stop with the ________ Nazi terms we use.... I think we should now use US Police State instead of nazi, seems to be more current with the times and a little fitting... So, instead of Grammar Nazi, it's now Grammar US Police State

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

Can we please stop with the ________ Nazi terms we use.... I think we should now use US Police State instead of nazi, seems to be more current with the times and a little fitting... So, instead of Grammar Nazi, it's now Grammar US Police State

Or here in the UK "Grammar Tories" - that in fact works really well!!

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I generally agree.

But I am a grammar nazi of sorts. I don't apply it to other people, but if I screw up, grammar-wise, I can never forget it. Once, someone here corrected my grammar (I was using the phrase "different than" instead of "different from") and while I was very pissed off at the time, I have been forever grateful for the correction. If whoever corrected me is reading this, thank you!

I often mistype "than" as "then". I HATE that! If the editing window is closed, it bothers me way too much! LOL!

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
a reply to: TrueBrit

I completely understand where you are coming from - and from how you put it I can agree with what you say. I do feel however that the context of information will allow me to understand the point that is being put across. I'm talking about the wheres/were's and too/to sort of things, mis-placed apostrophes etc Anything more than that would be a more heinous mistake than grammar. I don't feel spelling/grammar impacts much on the information exchange. But you are correct, it certainly could have an effect on how the meaning of the information is interpreted/perceived.

That is precisely why it is important. Context can only go so far, especially if the context within which a given comment is being made, is itself a complicated matter, because one is having to not only figure out context, but apply a potentially erroneous stream of data to that context. This is what leads to certain passages being very jarring and difficult to read when members have not got their written language hat on. Obviously, everyone makes mistakes occasionally, God knows I do! But I also try to get it right as much as possible, because I know it improves the quality of the communication I experience between myself and other members, and I would hope it improves their experience of communication with me as well!

And as for the babble that gets posted on here sometimes (and other places)... I wonder if it's me being too tired to read properly but when you go back over the post there often is just nonsensical strings of words. Although these people are often within a state of psychosis or breakdown which compels the babbling.

Exactly. One problem which can arise when people are just being lazy with their language, is that the person whose grammar is poor because they are not getting enough sleep, because they are paranoid, or suffering some other psychological impairment, will be harder to recognise in a timely fashion. If everyone who reads their posts is unsure whether they are just being lazy, or whether they are having a psychotic break, then rendering aid to that member will be much, much harder.

This is a serious issue, as those of us who were members during the time when Jared Lee Loughner shot fourteen people, killing six of them, will be aware. There is a fair amount of evidence to suggest that he was a member here, and while not a regular poster, his posts leading up to the event would have flagged up to any one of us with the most rudimentary of awareness of psychology, as being the work of someone having a psychotic break.

But if too many people are merely lazy in their grammar, it makes it harder to tell when someone is in need of real help, and that means that it increases the chances of someone slipping through the cracks! We do not want that because as a community we have a responsibility to do right by each other, to look out for one another, and to help those of us who are having problems.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I cannot disagree with anything you say. I feel our opinions differ... However..

If I ever see you in real life I will buy you a drink - I respect your posts on here.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

So do the world a favour Grammar Nazis and ask yourself a question, the answer to which lies deep inside your psyche: "Why am I so up tight about grammar? Why do I feel I should take the high ground over grammar? Why do I punish people publicly over their grammar?"

i cudunt care les how ppl get the info acros jus so long as the info keeps cummin

Quit the cheap shots - is it all you've got?

Ve haf vays und meanz auf makink sich anpassen sie!

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Well then...

I will get the next round!

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Why is it IMPORTANT?

Because the written word is how one represents one's self to the world. If you don't care how you are represented, then obviously it is not important to you how you are represented or mis-represented by your own words and grammar.

Why should it be RESPECTED?

See above.

Grammar and language evolves - if you want to show respect then you have 2 options.

1 - Go back to the oldest record of our language and grammar, the PURE stuff even before Chaucer and use this - keep its integrity. I guess you are aiming to keep the integrity?

2 - Look at how language and grammar has changed and realise that instilling uptight grammar Nazi views is halting the natural evolution of language and grammar. Who says what we use now is better or worse than the completely different English used 200 years ago or the English that will be being used in 500 years.

Maybe teach your kids how to use their brain and adapt rather than instilling unchangeable rules?

(I sound like I'm beasting a bit - it's not a beast directly at you - sorry for the CAPS I just couldn't be bothered to press the italics button)

First of all, yes language evolves. The dictionary adds words all the time. Adding words does not change basic grammar nor does it change the basic rules of sentence structure. Yes language evolves with time, and also usages that are acceptable in one format (such as text messaging, or gaming situations) are not always acceptable in other formats.

If I read an essay written with basica grammatical and spelling errors, I'm likely to discount ideas in that essay. Why? Because the writer obviously didn't care enough about the writing, so how much attention could they have paid to the subject? Further, there are grammar and spelling check programs freely available on any word processing format.

Will language evolve? Yes. But written language when trying to convey a viewpoint on a forum should always strive to be as grammatically correct as possible.

PS: I do understand those who struggle with English as a second language or third or fourth, which is why I do not correct or point out grammatical errors in forums. I just cringe inside.
edit on 20-11-2014 by kelbtalfenek because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-11-2014 by kelbtalfenek because: spelling

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

A common shot at people on the internet and within forums (has to be said, not so much here - which is nice) is the pointing out of people's bad grammar.

This is a cheap shot. You're basically bad mouthing a person's education and I bet that if you asked the bad-grammarian how they feel you would get one of the following answers:

So do the world a favour Grammar Nazis and ask yourself a question, the answer to which lies deep inside your psyche: "Why am I so up tight about grammar? Why do I feel I should take the high ground over grammar? Why do I punish people publicly over their grammar?"

i cudunt care les how ppl get the info acros jus so long as the info keeps cummin

Quit the cheap shots - is it all you've got?

Actually I care about grammar because it was how I was raised. I was taught that good grammar is important. I was taught that good spelling is important. I was taught that the written word is the highest form of communication, and it should be respected.

If I ever have children I will stress this upon them as well. Grammar is important. Spelling is important.

Yeah, but then you're ruining it for everyone who managed to become an adult without learning what should have been straightened out by about the fourth grade. You're discriminating against those that never did the work and now want a pass for their poor communication skills.

If you wish to be taken seriously in a writing-reading format like this, you simply must write correctly. There is no exception or excuse otherwise. There just isnt, no matter how unfair it might seem. Slack shall only be cut for those who are not primarily English speakers.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

One would think that school grading systems would reveal this shortcoming well before any grammar Nazis on the internet would. Much of it is just laziness .
For instance dunno for don't know or prolly for probably or allot for a lot. Some of it may be ignorance as in someone simply does not know. Perhaps they are using a second language to their native tongue. That is forgivable. In any event I do not usually notify the person of their error I simply cringe and move on.
I also thank my teachers for instilling a love for the written word in me.

edit on 11202014 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Oh and by the way. It's not bad mouthing a person's education. It's bad mouthing their lack of education. We cannot fault the teacher for their pupils comprehension issues can we? reply to: and14263

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
It's important because it allows the transfer of ideas from one mind to another. A standard makes sure that these ideas are transferred accurately as intended and received in the same manner. Misunderstandings lead to chaos and sometimes to violence. Isn't it better to understand and be understood?

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
If you don't put effort into your spelling and grammar, you may not put much effort into your research. Which means, I might not put much effort into listening. Nobody is perfect all the time.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
In all honesty I don't see people correcting spelling or grammar on these boards. I see people arguing facts and details of events but not the written word.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Just for the heck, as we're talking grammar here. I'd like to point out, that it isn't "bad grammar". As grammar can't be bad ... it's not going to punch in the face. It's "poor" grammar, meaning it's "lacking".

And grammar is important, at a basic level. Even if you say "bad grammar", really isn't that bad ... but when the person in question, has his or her language so poorly defined. That it's outright wrong, almost as if per definition ... it simply comes down to that the individual in question is uneducated. And his or hers view of anything, questioned as whether they are emotional lashing, or educated observation.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: bjarneorn

Just for the heck, as we're talking grammar here. I'd like to point out, that it isn't "bad grammar". As grammar can't be bad ... it's not going to punch in the face. It's "poor" grammar, meaning it's "lacking".

Exactly... but you all understood what I wer on about din't ya!

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Proper grammar is taught in our public schools. The individual(s) that choose to butcher it is/are the problem.

As for auto correct errors, that happens.

This is an English language forum....so use English and not your butchered version of it.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I have a Bachelors degree from college. I have had to write many papers. Thank goodness for grammar checker/ spell checker. If that was not available I would have been in trouble. However, here at ATS it is tolerated. The only thing here that can be annoying is misspelled words. Every computer I know has spell check. At least get words spelled correctly.

I understand different languages can have different spelling for a word. For that I overlook misspelled words.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It nevör ciise to imeize mii hau often aim akkysd of bäd grammar. But ai dont keör bekoos aim not inglish
Injoi !
edit on 20-11-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

awesome post

I dunno were I wood find a nother place witch has somany grate members.

I don't no of any other more better place I'd rather be.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join