It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Our Deployed Troops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I wrote this Christmas poem tonight for our deployed troops.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Soldier's Prayer

The soldier laid down his head on his pillow one night, and decided to spill out his heart to God.

"Lord", he cried out. "I don't know how I can keep doing this day in and day out, and it seems there is no end to the misery I see every day."

A tear slid down his cheek.

The soldier continued in his prayer:
"My God, I feel so alone and abandoned out here, like nobody cares about me..."

In the silence, he sniffled and swallowed hard.

And then...
he began to cry hard.

He sobbed and muffled his tears in his pillow, as not to awaken his comrades, so they wouldn't see how afraid he really was.

"Dear Lord, I may act like a tough guy on the outside...but really I'm still the little boy inside that only wanted to play PRETEND war. I never wanted to kill anyone. And now, it's my duty to. And I feel guilt and all sorts of emotions welling up inside of me, and I'm at a loss as to how to deal with them. I know I volunteered for this, but I never thought I would see live action on the battlefield..."

Silence and muffled sobs....and soon he perked up his ears, as he noticed he heard a few of the other solidiers muffling their sobs and tears as well. So he ws NOT alone, after all! Others were fighting the same inner battle as he was!

And then a bright moon burst through the clouds, and filled the room with moonlight.

And out of the corner of his eye, the soldier winced and then startled, he froze as he witnessed angels come into the room, and go to each bed and they bent over and hugged each soldier in their strong arms, and soothed them to sleep.

"So I'm not alone, after all!" the solder said to himself. And as the last angel entered the room, it came over to his bedside, peered into his eyes, and the angel's light lit up the soldier's face. Captivated, he gazed back at him, and all he could say to him was "Thank You".

And he realized that they were not ever alone in their battles.

And he soon fell into a deep and restful sleep...

join