It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's immigration policies hurt bottom line, China says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
BNN LINK

China’s state-controlled energy firms are struggling to turn a profit in Canada in part because of the federal government’s immigration laws, a senior Chinese diplomat says.

Wang Xinping, China’s consul general based in Calgary, said his country’s energy companies want to bring in their own employees to reduce costs. But Ottawa has been stingy in issuing work permits, he said, making it harder for Chinese companies to develop their projects.

“Overall, for the Chinese investors, they are not making a profit,” he said in an interview at the Chinese consulate.

China sank $30-billion into Canada’s energy sector between 2005 and 2012 snapping up assets. Wang concedes some of these projects are not as good as Sinopec Corp. (SHI.N 0.00%), CNOOC Ltd. (CEO.N 0.00%), and PetroChina Co. Ltd. (PTR.N), once believed. With oil prices down 30 percent since June, the companies want Ottawa to open the borders to help ease its troubles.

China wants Canada to ease Chinese investors troubles by allowing China to bring their own slave labour force into Canada to dig up our oil? Jobs that Canadians rely on.

Alberta officials are now urging their federal counterparts to revisit the restrictions, which have been blamed for the sharp drop-off in foreign investment in the province’s energy sector.

China has long argued its state-controlled companies adhere to free-market principles rather than Beijing’s demands.

“That’s why I say the SOE restriction is not wise,” Wang said. “It is not right

So, Alberta officials that were paid off in communist funny money, want to convince Ottawa that we should give up jobs for more investment?

I think we are all be but a little tired of cheap snip coming from China and the love affair we had with value for our dollar and 'rolling back prices' is coming to an end.

China! if you don't want our workers to dig up your oil, then go dig up your own back in China. If you really need our oil and care so much about the profits of your investors, then take some of the money you are dumping into military expansion, and use it to subsidize your energy investors.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

What?

China wants to bring in their own people so they can pay them less than what they pay Canadians [Doing the same job] so they can turn higher profits. How about China let in all types of internationals to work for Internationals in China as well.

Better yet let's open China up for higher profit taking by Internationals and their Employees from abroad.

Ah, what a tangled web being weaved.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Canadians come first...bottom line.
If they want to employ their own...they can create jobs in their own country and do it there.
Besides,we have Chinatowns in almost every major city...so whats this about immigration problems?

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

What?

China wants to bring in their own people so they can pay them less than what they pay Canadians [Doing the same job] so they can turn higher profits. How about China let in all types of internationals to work for Internationals in China as well.

Better yet let's open China up for higher profit taking by Internationals and their Employees from abroad.

Ah, what a tangled web being weaved.

It seems like a no-brainer to tell China to go stuff it. But then again Harper just sold us a new trade deal with China that would "Open a new market of a billion consumers for Canadian products." Basically the same snip that Clinton sold the Americans on that brought about the new Walmart in all it's glory.

Expecting what would make sense seems to be trumped by the criminally outrageous so I would not count out China's request.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

and the "bottom line is..."

...profit.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

Canadians come first...bottom line.
If they want to employ their own...they can create jobs in their own country and do it there.
Besides,we have Chinatowns in almost every major city...so whats this about immigration problems?

I don't know if you know Vancouver much, but I heard a stat on the radio that stated that 80% of properties worth over 2 million, west of Cambie st. are owned by investors or immigrants from China. They do not seem to be having any problems penetrating our market.

Late for work now. Got to get this new BMW dealership ready for the Chinese money. Sucks depending on something I am so against.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I was a kid during that election but I still remember how much of a joke the media made out of Ross Perot even though he was the inly one making any sense. Like Ron Paul I guess.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I'm sure China weighed the pros and cons including immigration laws before investing in Canada. Sounds like they just want to bring in their own employees to help keep everything secretive. If their investors aren't making a profit, by now they should have put their money elsewhere.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I find this insane but par for the course really, have worked in industry or some form of construction all my life and have watched wages creep down over and over again. Always close to election time and promises from those in power who have not a care for those already here trying to make ends meet. With prices down across the board for oil right now one can only hope if KXL is actually approved you see an increase in production and prosperity in NA again at relevant prices, then maybe they can keep all their pennies on the dollar labor stuck on their mainland.....

SaneThinking

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

China wants Canada to ease Chinese investors troubles by allowing China to bring their own slave labour force into Canada to dig up our oil? Jobs that Canadians rely on.

Ironic isn't it? So lets bring some slave workers from China to make chinese investors money and screw the labor force in Canada. And they complain when canadian government doesn't allow that. I cannot believe the level of BS and the nerve from these people. Besides there are already millions of chinese in Canada. Enough to start a new country. They already screwed up the IT market, now they want to screw up energy sector too? NO WAY !!!

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

I don't know if you know Vancouver much, but I heard a stat on the radio that stated that 80% of properties worth over 2 million, west of Cambie st. are owned by investors or immigrants from China. They do not seem to be having any problems penetrating our market.

Late for work now. Got to get this new BMW dealership ready for the Chinese money. Sucks depending on something I am so against.

I've been to Vancouver many times and yes, it's true. A lot of high end real estate is owned by rich chinese. Million dollar estates and mansions have chinese ownership. Is the wave of rich chinese from Hong Kong who came to Canada when Hong Kong went back to China. And we all know that they brought with them huge amount of money.
edit on 17-11-2014 by Telos because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: korath
I'm sure China weighed the pros and cons including immigration laws before investing in Canada. Sounds like they just want to bring in their own employees to help keep everything secretive. If their investors aren't making a profit, by now they should have put their money elsewhere.

It sounds like they didn't. Their claim is that they accidentally forgot to calculate lower barrel prices in their profit scheme and now out of "fairness" Canada should allow China to crap all over Canadian labour laws in order to recoup the difference.

There is always Russian oil if China cannot afford Canada's... but something tells me Putin has more spine that our western counterparts.
edit on 17-11-2014 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

There is always Russian oil if China cannot afford Canada's... but something tells me Putin has more spine that our western counterparts.

Honestly think Russia would allow Chinese workers instead of hiring Russians? Also, I think China is way too smart to put all their oil import eggs in one basket.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Hey Malbosia, Yeah I'm sure the Chines would be just as pleased as punch to be allowed to send a couple hundred million into Canada and Australia for that matter. I'm sure then they'll find a way to turn a profit on your people's resources and subsume your whole society in one fell swoop. Peace
Arjunandaa reply to: MALBOSIA

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Since the media won't fill in the blanks, I will.

China was promised a pipeline. They don't have it.

They want a way to be compensated for it.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Go to hell China and bring your LNG with you. You are not wanted or welcome here.

And i stand by my oppinion. I never wanted to do any buisness with such a slave ready nation as China. Take your billions of dollars and destroy your own landscape locusts of the planet.

edit on 17-11-2014 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Honestly think Russia would allow Chinese workers instead of hiring Russians? Also, I think China is way too smart to put all their oil import eggs in one basket.

No way does Russia allow it. And China is clearly smarter than Canada since I can't figure out what other basket we are relying on other than China.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

No way does Russia allow it. And China is clearly smarter than Canada since I can't figure out what other basket we are relying on other than China.

Russia most certainly allows it. They have in the past, and they have in the two most recent deals signed.

China almost always includes provisions for either Chinese workers or Chinese materials to be used in their contracts.

In Canada, most of the Chinese contracts had to buy their steel from Chinese owned steel mines/processing plants in Canada.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

We export WAY more oil to the U.S than we do to China. The U.S is the #1 importer of Canadian oil. Mexico is #2. Canada should tell the Chinese to put a sock in it. If they don't like our labor laws they can sell off their assets and do business elsewhere.
edit on 17-11-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join