It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My recolor of Mr Van Gogh's painting in Photoshop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
This is the original artwork by Mr. Vincent Van Gogh:

Original painting

Not one of his popular paintings but nevertheless, my favorite. Wheat or cornfields under dark, brooding thunderclouds are one of my favorite things to see in real life.

My recolor in Photoshop:

edit on 15-11-2014 by johndeere2020 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: johndeere2020

Looks like you have turned an image of heaven in to an image of hell, rather apocalyptic. How very synonymous with the world today.

edit on 15-11-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Looks like you have turned an image of heaven in to an image of hell, rather apocalyptic. How very synonymous with the world today.

Thank you. I kinda felt the same way too when I did the recolor.

Van Gogh made that painting in the last weeks of his life before he committed suicide.

Some who knew him suggested he killed himself in that same wheat field where he took the painting that I recolored. I'm not surprised if that was the case. If I can choose where I will die, I would have chosen places where I'm attracted to.

That colored patch that I left, I believe it represents the remaining humanity we got. We have got to stand up now and do something about the evil in our world, else we will lose our humanity forever. Extinction isn't always in the physical level, it could also be in identity, our identities as good men and women of Earth.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
The original painting link is just a wiki page on him
Can I see the original?

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I like what you did though. I can only imagine his original is terrible as I'm not keen on him. Sorry

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I remember studying Van Gogh in art history way back in secondary school. Arguably one of the greatest masters in recorded history.

I'm rather partial to the works of Caravaggio myself, interesting to see some of those recolored.
edit on 15-11-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet
I like what you did though. I can only imagine his original is terrible as I'm not keen on him. Sorry

Here you go:

Wheatfield under Thunderclouds

I think it might be a problem with your browser. Anyway, hope you can see that one in the link.

I thought it was distinctly different from his other paintings. Perhaps, that's the point when his bouts of depression gone a lot worse.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Yes I see it thanks. The op link is just his wiki page

I like your version better. I don't like him at all. He paints very childlike and I don't understand how he became famous at all, but that's just me.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I remember studying Van Gogh in art history way back in secondary school. Arguably one of the greatest masters in recorded history.

I'm rather partial of the works of Caravaggio myself, interesting to see some of those recolored.

I agree, Mr. Van Gogh was something. He reminded me of Nikola Tesla. His life story was of great interest to me.

If you must know, I was itching for a new wallpaper on my computer and I remembered Mr. Van Gogh's painting and literally, the original painting is widescreen format! Wow! All I needed was a recolor to match my gloomy mood.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Yes I see it thanks. The op link is just his wiki page

I like your version better. I don't like him at all. He paints very childlike and I don't understand how he became famous at all, but that's just me.

NP, and thanks. I think it's about Mr. Van Gogh's life story. It's already a majestic piece of art in itself. A tragic demonstration of the shortcomings and injustices of our world. Someone should make a blockbuster movie out of it.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Thank you. I kinda felt the same way too when I did the recolor.

Van Gogh made that painting in the last weeks of his life before he committed suicide.

Careful how far you lean over that edge. Here take my hand, lets step back from there a moment…

link

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I personally admire Van Gogh's work. His style is very personal and recognizable.
Salvador Dali, another painter I admire, had a different opinion.
I read an interview with Dali where he was asked what he thought of Van Gogh.
He said that his colors were "syphylitic" and that he shouldn't have stopped with the ear when he started cutting.
edit on 15-11-2014 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

The original painting link is just a wiki page on him
Can I see the original?

scroll down the wiki page a little the original painting is there

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   

fantastic recoloring. I recommend viewers to enlarge your posted image for the full benefit. works great as a wallpaper

originally posted by: skunkape23
I personally admire Van Gogh's work. His style is very personal and recognizable.
Salvador Dali, another painter I admire, had a different opinion.
I read an interview with Dali where he was asked what he thought of Van Gogh.
He said that his colors were "syphylitic" and that he shouldn't have stopped with the ear when he started cutting.

this dali’s comment has to be viewed in an appropriate perspective. since he associated syphilis as part of sexuality (due to his father’s guilt) and he himself is known to have done hardly more than masturbate (due to his trust in his size), I would say he was but very jeleaous of VanGogh. After all he was such a fan of psychoanalysis.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sanssouci

fantastic recoloring. I recommend viewers to enlarge your posted image for the full benefit. works great as a wallpaper

thank you. Unfortunately, it's about the only painting of Van Gogh I could recolor. I tried the other ones but did not turn out well.

So this painting of his came out quite distinct from all his other works, one, the resolution is finer (not too big and heavy brush strokes like his other paintings)) and two, it's probably his most accurate representation of real life imagery.

In an ironic turn of events, the sky turned black here in Jeddah, Saudi, noontime!! You don't get this kind of weather in the mideast desert, it's rare! I ended up in this part of the world to work. Been wandering the world looking for a good enough job.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Careful how far you lean over that edge. Here take my hand, lets step back from there a moment…

You're thinking I'm contemplating suicide? Not a chance. I just feel for the man Van Gogh. I just read his biography recently and surprised to see it was very similar to my life's story. Just instead of a frustrated artist, I am a frustrated inventor and scientist. Although I am also an artist as a hobby and a bit in my work.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

You're thinking I'm contemplating suicide? Not a chance.

Thanks for setting me straight.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sanssouci
this dali’s comment has to be viewed in an appropriate perspective. since he associated syphilis as part of sexuality (due to his father’s guilt) and he himself is known to have done hardly more than masturbate (due to his trust in his size), I would say he was but very jeleaous of VanGogh. After all he was such a fan of psychoanalysis.

One other thing I could relate to Van Gogh is this very faint imagery I see just with my eye.

If I look at just one point, I would start seeing an object build up and it looks exactly like the stars in the "Starry Night" painting of Mr Van Gogh. Literally, exactly, including the brush strokes. The imagery I'm seeing rotates in either clockwise or counter clockwise direction. No one else I know has such experience. I had it since very young until now.

I look at his painting as if I know exactly what is going on in his mind. He indulged himself in the colors and his imagination. It didn't mattered if he didn't get the accurate form (although he can and he did in his early artworks). My favorite colors are blue, yellow, and green and these colors are present together in nearly all his paintings.

Maybe I was his reincarnation, who knows. I have faced and facing the same problems as he did in family, religion, in his career and his s****y life.

I could see why Van Gogh was a failure in his time - because he embraced his individuality, his uniqueness. He reached deep inside himself and nature and expressed it in his art. A concept that was alien in his time but is now felt in the hearts and minds of the modern world.
edit on 17-11-2014 by johndeere2020 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   

I enjoyed reading about your refreshing experience to understand and to know vanGogh. You sure seem to have a lot in common.

But I do not think that he was a failure in his time nor that his individuality and uniqueness can be blamed. Everybody needs a personalized set of circumstances which only life itself can provide to reach ones potential required. impressionists of that era in general only achieved recognition a few decades later. but his contemporary Gauguin always said that he is a genius.
I like him a lot for the liquid shapes in his pictures, the perfect placement and angles of things and that eerie touch of otherworldlyness which you captured and rendered so well.

maybe, if you keep recolouring his paintings or details of his paintings you will get some working again. do let us see them please!

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I made a few more recolors which included Adolf Hitler's work

I think I now know why I made these gloomy recolors of these famous art pieces and wearing all black the whole week.

Today, my mom called and told me my beloved dog has died three days ago. I did not even knew she was sick. It was so quick and sudden.

Me and my dog are connected on so many including spiritual levels.

the other one of Van Gogh's I recolored a few days before my dog died is his gloomiest painting shortly before he died. What a tragic coincidence for me.

Are his paintings cursed??

top topics

join