It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Read Why the USS Donald Cook Crapped It's Pants and was 'gravely demoralized' in the Black Sea

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: VirusGuard

The bear will more than likely poke you...so you'd be in it regardless.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: StopThaZionistWorldOrder

Wow, this one again? The biggest reason that this is crap is that there's no way that Russia would reveal something this shocking against a single ship, when we're not fighting. Revealing this gives the US time to figure out how it happened, and work to correct it from happening again. You NEVER reveal something that changes things as radically as this system supposedly does unless you're engaged in an active shooting war, and you have a high value target in your sights. A single destroyer is nothing.

That and the fact that the best white analysis of this system puts it on par with the self protection systems used on the F-16 and C-130J, which are good, but nowhere near good enough to take down an entire Aegis system.

This. It was even forbidden to take photos of the AK-47 before they were fielded. You don't show your ace in the hole before you absolutely have to.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   

a reply to: 727Sky

Yes, an Su-24 flew past the Donald Cook a number of times, but they would have allowed it to fly away regardless. They used to overfly US ships all the time for decades.

Yep, been buzzed by quite a few Soviet aircraft in my days at sea. Helos, Bears, even a couple of jets.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

How can people be so ignorant?! Why would you think this is the best system they have?
Sure the AK47 was top-secret before implementation, but this has already been used before and is actually a well known, publicly documented EW system.

Clearly if they're showing this off, they have some mean equipment that we don't know about.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
It all boils down to that old saying '' if you want peace, prepare for war'', strong nations attack weak ones, normally, just read some history.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: StopThaZionistWorldOrder
a reply to: Zaphod58

Keep denying it but it makes sense that, "The more a radio-electronic system is complex, the easier it is to disable it through the use of electronic warfare." The Russians are perfecting EMP technology and with our societies reliance on so much electrical equipment no wonder they are hedging their interests with electronic warfare capabilities.

Good point here. This is pretty much asymmetrical warfare which Iran and Russia have been investing in, very effective to say the least.

Advanced EMP technology --> US Electronic Infrastructure
Corvettes/ high-speed attack boats --> Large, slow-to-maneuver, Destroyers and Attack vessels.
Advanced Missile Technology --> Massive, heavily armed, aircraft carriers

One more not related to warfare:

Graphite pencil --> US Spacepen

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Funny how the article says it approached the ship. Peace time flyovers happen all the time. Not that I believe without more proof that shielded military equipment can be shut down so easily, but what is the range of this weapon? 2 miles or 200 miles?
Good luck getting within 2 miles of that ship during wartime. The range would determine if this is a viable weapon.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

EMP tech is not all that top secret though is it? I mean there are people making emp type devices on youtube of a very low powerful nature but id imagine its nothing that difficult.

Unless the Aegis system is shielded and they wasted this test to show how they can get past it I don't see how this is that big of a deal.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Wow, this one again? The biggest reason that this is crap is that there's no way that Russia would reveal something this shocking against a single ship, when we're not fighting.

But hasn't the USA been doing fly overs with some of its classified aircraft?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
hmmm....ok, if this story is real.....
the argument against it being real is that russia wouldnt be that 'dumb' to showcase a weapon of that caliber in a non war setting.

I beg to differ....it would be a major setback to any u.s. military, pre-emptive strikes, maneuvers in or around russia and deployments. we can all see. some typeof writing on the walls, the u.s. nit being happy with how the western sponserd coupe went in Ukraine...the west ....talking ...about military intervention but,for some reason not pulling the proverbial trigger.

so if this story is real, it was a stroke of genius on the Russians part...and if this type of weapon was used........what else do they have under wrapps?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The OP story is ridiculous, there is so much wrong with it.

Why would a Russian plane "approach" a US ship....and why then (even if we assume it were true they disabled the ship's electronics)..would it "simulate 12 missile attacks". It goes against any common sense and would be incredibly stupid to do.

Says a lot about the credibility of the websites you pull that cr@p from...just saying...

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0bservant
a reply to: NavyDoc

How can people be so ignorant?! Why would you think this is the best system they have?
Sure the AK47 was top-secret before implementation, but this has already been used before and is actually a well known, publicly documented EW system.

Clearly if they're showing this off, they have some mean equipment that we don't know about.

It has nothing to do with "ignorance" and has everything to do with knowing about how this and other things work. I was a line officer during the cold war and beyond. I'm a USNA graduate. Being buzzed by then Soviet, now Russian aircraft is not new and was and is quite a common occurrence. The infowars article is hysterical and not accurate.

ETA: and I didn't say it was the best system they had, what I said was that they, and we, logically do not show our cards unless we have to.
edit on 14-11-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed
The OP story is ridiculous, there is so much wrong with it.

Why would a Russian plane "approach" a US ship....and why then (even if we assume it were true they disabled the ship's electronics)..would it "simulate 12 missile attacks". It goes against any common sense and would be incredibly stupid to do.

Says a lot about the credibility of the websites you pull that cr@p from...just saying...

Considering they wouldn't have to approach 12 times to launch 12 missiles, the premise is silly.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

EMP tech is not all that top secret though is it? I mean there are people making emp type devices on youtube of a very low powerful nature but id imagine its nothing that difficult.

Unless the Aegis system is shielded and they wasted this test to show how they can get past it I don't see how this is that big of a deal.

These ships are definitely shielded from an emp attack. Nuclear weapons release emp's and navy ships have to survive in that environment. That would lead me to believe that if this is an emp weapon, you will have to get very close to your target for the weapon to be effective. Essentially burning through the shielding. That seriously reduces the usefulness of that type of weapon. Kind of like taking a knife to a gun fight. This might be something other than emp though. Or it could be bs. Only time will tell.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Lol, you can't request to leave the ship or the USN. This story sounds like BS.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Lol, you can't request to leave the ship or the USN. This story sounds like BS.

Of course it is. It's from infowars--there is a lot of BS there.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Let's all take a read of this here.

medium.com...

I would believe this story if the bbc was running it.
But considering the source is russian propaganda. I'll take it with a grain of salt.
Or maybe the Cook shut down all systems on purpose to give the russians the illusion their system was working as intended.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

And they're dumb enough to use it on a single destroyer, in peacetime, to give us plenty of time to figure out a counter to it. Sure, because the Russians are dumb enough to do that. I mean why wait until there's the chance for a fight, and surprise an entire carrier group, and REALLY scare the hell out of people, when you can waste it on a single destroyer, that by itself is almost a non-entity.

So what you're really saying is that the Russians are stupid, and give away all their secret weapons.

If a weapon is too secret, it fails to be a deterrent. I believe this happened and the American people are lied to about their supposed military superiority to some degree, just like everything else.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Yes I think this is silly propaganda stories. No credible sources. The Russian jammer mentioned is just a standard fighter ECM self defense jammer, it doesn't disable ships.

I watched some of the Russian RT news the other day and was surprised how bad it is. It's really worse than FOX news if that's even possible and they really push the anti west/US stuff to the max, it's a bit weird really like some kind of bizarro world.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Yep, it's a "confirmation" from another Russian source, that links back to your original source.

with the defense systems installed on NATO’s most modern ships was shut down,” reports the Voltaire Network.

So you have "confirmation" based on another unreliable source. Yep! That's proof right there!
edit on 11/14/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join