It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beloved Thich Nhat Hanh Suffers Brain Hemorrhage,

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Beloved Thich Nhat Hanh Suffers Brain Hemorrhage,

His book Living Buddha Living Christ was a great comfort to me when I was confused as to what path to take.
I highly respect this mans willingness to cross religions boundaries and willingness to show love and respect to others traditions.

Many blessing to him.

Thich Nhat Hanh Suffers Brain Hemorrhage, Signals Recovery

World renowned Buddhist leader Thich Nhat Hanh experienced a severe brain hemorrhage on Wednesday, his spiritual community announced. Plum Village, the monastic community Hanh founded in 1975, posted the announcement to its website Wednesday night stating that their teacher, intimately referred to as "Thay," was receiving 24-hour intensive care and showed potential signs of a full recovery. At present, Thay is still very responsive and shows every indication of being aware of the presence of those around him. He is able to move his feet, hands and eyes. There are signs that a full recovery may be possible. The group also noted that Hanh has been ill for several months and was first hospitalized on November 1, though it did not identify the cause apart from fragility "due to his advanced age." Plum Village also asked Buddhist practitioners around the world to join them in using meditation to send Hanh "healing and loving energy."

plumvillage.org...
edit on 043030p://bThursday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

There are things in Buddhist philosophy that are not incompatible with Christian teaching and Christian life. It takes a lot of courage to be able to cross faith barriers to see where you can find common ground.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

There are things in Buddhist philosophy that are not incompatible with Christian teaching and Christian life. It takes a lot of courage to be able to cross faith barriers to see where you can find common ground.

absolutely, love is.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

It's not even that though that is a big one.

But the deeper workings of Buddhism when phrased differently work much the same as similar principles of Christian practice are supposed to.

I would say that of the major faiths and what I know about them, in practice Buddhist philosophy and basic Christian teachings have almost more in common then many others.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Regardless, I hope this man recovers or at least that he finds the path he is supposed to take. If it is his time, may his passing be easy.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Living Buddha, Living Christ Quotes

www.goodreads.com...

“I always encourage them to practice in a way that will help them go back to their own tradition and get re-rooted. If they succeed at at becoming reintegrated, they will be an important instrument in transforming and renewing their tradition.
When we respect our blood ancestors and our spiritual ancestors, we feel rooted. If we find ways to cherish and develop our spiritual heritage, we will avoid the kind of alienation that is destroying society, and we will become whole again. ... Learning to touch deeply the jewels of our own tradition will allow us to understand and appreciate the values of other traditions, and this will benefit everyone.”
― Thích Nhất Hạnh, Living Buddha, Living Christ

“But sharing does not mean wanting others to abandon their own spiritual roots and embrace your faith. That would be cruel. People are stable and happy only when they are firmly rooted in their own tradition and culture. To uproot them would make them suffer. There are already enough people uprooted from their tradition today, and they suffer greatly, wandering around like hungry ghosts, looking for something to fill their spiritual needs. We must help them return to their tradition. Each tradition must establish dialogue with its own people first, especially with those young people who are lost and alienated. During the last fifteen years while sharing the Buddha’s Dharma in the West, I always urged my Western friends to go back to their own traditions and rediscover the values that are there, those values they have not been able to touch before. The practice of Buddhist meditation can help them do so, and many have succeeded. Buddhism is made of non-Buddhist elements. Buddhism has no separate self. When you are a truly happy Christian, you are also a Buddhist. And vice versa.”
― Thích Nhất Hạnh, Living Buddha, Living Christ

edit on 043030p://bThursday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes, I agree, and relate to both

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
One of my favorite quotes is by this man...

Sad to hear this has happened to him.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

It is with empathy that I receive this news. I became a respected "fan"' of Thich Nhat Hanh after reading his biography of the Buddha, "Old Path White Clouds."

It is my hope that his discipline of mindfulness will ease his suffering. Get well soon brother!

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I have read many wonderful and inspiring quotes by this man.
I hope he is able to heal, but if it is his time to pass, I hope he does so peacefully.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I will keep you in my meditation oh noble one, please know that we love you... Buddha to be, Buddha you are. Namaste.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
His book old path white cloud was life changing for me. I hope this man has a speedy recovery, or passes on easily.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
One of my favorite quotes is by this man...

Sad to hear this has happened to him.

Good one Klassi

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: miss_sky
His book old path white cloud was life changing for me. I hope this man has a speedy recovery, or passes on easily.

I will have to check that one out miss

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Sahabi, nightstar and humble, beautiful sentiments

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Definetly do! It's a long book but it's amazing!

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I hope someone puts a picture on the ceiling above his bed that says "half smile" to remind him of what he has brought to the world.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
This is truly sad news, but we cannot discount the healing process. Perhaps this is just a slight detour in his journey of life.

As others have said before, if it is his time to graduate may it be peaceful.

This is my quote to share:

“Meditation is not an escape from life,
but preparation for really being in life.”
– Thich Nhat Hanh

Sending healing blue light his way, may others join in.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

also having lost B. K. S. Iyengar back in August there is a great void

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Just stopping by to pay my respects.

I actually had my first out of body experience after only a few minutes of trying one of his techniques from The Art of Mindfulness.

Thanks for starting my journey to awakening Thich Nhat Hanh. Much love and I hope you get better, you have done so much for the world. Perhaps it's time I return to the beginning of my journey.

What more can I say, your life and your actions speaks for themselves I think, Namaste.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: miss_sky

It is a masterpiece amongst biographies! Hanh takes us through the life of Shakyamuni Buddha, in such a way, that one is touched by the sharing of enlightenment. The contextual settings of the story, as well as the character dialogues, give the impression that we, ourselves, are progressing and learning with the Buddha first-hand. Several of the Buddha's Suttas are translated and interpreted by Hanh in a very elegant way. "Old Path White Cloud" is one of the most powerful and beautiful modern expressions of the Buddha's teachings.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join