It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who performed the best version of 'stagger lee'.....blues fans will know the story/song

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
ive been running through youtube listening to a lot of the renditions and these two are my fav...

en.wikipedia.org...

"Stagger Lee", also known as "Stagolee" and other variants, is a popular American folk song about the murder of Billy Lyons by "Stag" Lee Shelton in St. Louis, Missouri at Christmas, 1895
-----------
The historical "Stagger Lee" was Lee Shelton, an African-American pimp living in St. Louis, Missouri in the late 19th century. He was nicknamed "Stag Lee" or "Stack Lee", with a variety of explanations being given for the moniker: he was given the nickname because he 'went "stag"', meaning he was without friends; he took the nickname from a well-known riverboat captain called "Stack Lee"; or, according to John and Alan Lomax, he took the name from a riverboat owned by the Lee family of Memphis called the Stack Lee, which was known for its on-board prostitution.[1] He was well known locally as one of the "Macks", a group of pimps who demanded attention through their flashy clothing and appearance.[2] In addition to these activities, he was the captain of a black "Four Hundred Club", a social club with a dubious reputatio
-------------------

#2...the black keys....'stack shot billy'.....its awesome

#1...sam jackson from black snake moan....'stack o lee'.....(language)

a lot of people covered this song...woody guthrie..bob dylan...amy winehouse...the isley brothers...elton john...

these are my fav's....

yours?

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

edit on 13-11-2014 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Always liked Taj Mahal's joint.

YOUTUBE

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Wilbert Harrison or Lloy Harris, Harris' version is the one I grew up with on beach music radio and the oldies stations.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
oops bad language!!! From Nick Cave, still my favorite but totally inappropriate for a site like this one with so many kids around.

How about this one....

www.youtube.com...

edit on 13-11-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-11-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Wilson Pickett for the win!

Let's not forget Professor Longhair:

edit on 13-11-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Cool thread. I love tracking traditional songs and really like variations on a theme. To me music should be passed on, reworked, reinterpreted and at the same time, keeping the continuity.

here are a couple links that list the variations and historical info

www.staggerlee.com...

artsites.ucsc.edu...

edit on 13-11-2014 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a vote for the keys here

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
its still jackson then keys for me..

for a different flavor on it..

what up doctor house

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Elvis!

But it doesn't get any better than this!

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Yeah would have to be Mississippi John Hurt to be honest...but there are so many good versions.

A couple of others are

The version by Lucious Curtis and Willie Ford from the Alan Lomax recording Blues Songbook

Also the version from the Negro Prison Blues & Songs Lomax recording sung by Bama

top topics

join