It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want my fricking incandescent bulbs back!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Aaaahhhh!

I hate these stupid fluorescent bulbs.
I have a storeroom in the back of my business and I don't heat the room. I go in there today to find some walnut planks I will need on monday. When I flip on the lights.....I get a dim yellowish glow..ugg.

The temperature is about 45 degrees in the room so these stupid lights need to warm up before they put out good light. Ten minutes later I can kinda see what I'm doing. Well as of now I have good old 100 watt incandescent bulbs in there. Well what do you know, instant light.

I'm glad I grabbed 10 box's of 100 Watters when I had the chance.

Man I need some coffee...

Sorry for the rant, I needed to get it out before it festered...

edit on 8-11-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Go to Wal-mart and buy a pack. Coffee I mean.

edit on 8-11-2014 by AlephBet because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Get halogens. Sure, they're more expensive, but they put out more light and use less energy, and they're still available.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

You mean these?

Image s

They finally reinvented the light bulb. Making it more expensive, more complex, and more toxic (mercury).

You could go LED. They are initially (way) more expensive than incandescent but put out more light for le$$, lasting longer than either.

LED light bulbs

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

LEDs.

We refuse to have those CFLs anywhere near our home. I have photosensitive migraines, and it's bad enough that I live in a hostile world with fluorescent lighting everywhere else, but at the very least, I ought to be able to come home to a house that isn't just waiting to make me sick.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I use florescent in my business work areas. But they are warm and work fine. I just hate to put big money into what amounts to a big closet. In and out in 5 minutes. I only switched to cfl type because I bought them cheap. Bad idea I guess.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Go to the store and get some.
They're cheap and available nearly everywhere. There is no ban on them anymore.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
You can still buy the older bulbs. However, you need to look for Heavy Duty, or Rough Service bulbs.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I bought CFL bulbs when I moved into an apartment in 2008. I took them with me when I moved across country 2 years ago.
I haven't bought a light bulb in 8 years. Don't have to wait for them to warm up either. Sure you don't want to breath in the dust if they break. But as long as you're not being an idiot you won't have any problems. 8 years and no broken bulbs either. And I'm more than idiot enough.

I'm failing to see what everyone is bitching about.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

All fluorescent lights flicker. I am photosensitive. If the flicker gets to the wrong frequency, it can trigger the mother of all migraines. Even if the flicker doesn't get to the wrong frequency, when I get a migraine for other reasons, it's hard on my eyes and exacerbates the already existing migraine making it get worse faster.

That's why I bitch about them.

They make my life more difficult, so I wasn't pleased with being told I was going to have to have either them or much more expensive LEDs when cheaper incandescents were just fine.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
Go to the store and get some.
They're cheap and available nearly everywhere. There is no ban on them anymore.

Walmart and home depot do not sell them where I live. Not sure about you. But if you had read to first post you would have noticed that I have ten box's and have already made the switch.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Our grocery stores does have them, but they're all GE which is in Obama's back pocket.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
energyblog.nationalgeographic.com...

Doesn't this mean they are banned? Or am I missing something? Wouldn't be the first time..

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Strange...I can find them everywhere.
Just bought some last month when we ran out.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

You know, I am pretty outspoken about the dangers of use of the new energy saving bulbs.

When one of those bulbs breaks, one has to leave the room for fifteen minutes, to allow any particles released into the air to settle, then come back to the room with a heavy duty mask on, not a paper mask or a dust mask, but one which filters dangerous chemical fumes. You know why?

It is because these newer, energy saving bulbs, contain mercury, which is poisonous on contact with skin, and if particles of it are inhaled, they can cause massive damage to the brain. Exposure to mercury fumes literally makes one dumber by the second.

Once you sweep up the broken glass, and any other detritus from the breakage while wearing your mask, you must carefully contain the fragments and slivers of bulb glass, inside a multi layered plastic bag with a sealable top, and ask your local government to point you in the direction of a municipal disposal site which is set up to deal with them. However, that does absolutely nothing to solve the problem of any mercury which may have seeped through your carpet, or between your floorboards, or into furnishings. Decontaminating a room properly is actually a very involved process. One cannot just vacuum the floor, and hope for the best, if one wishes to avoid long term damage being done to ones health, and that of ones family, friends, pets, and so on.

Professional cleaners with a background in chemical spillage solutions are really the only people outside of a government agency, who have the tools and know how to actually get this done, and get it done right.

Add to that the fact that these bulbs are uniformly incapable of providing adequate light, and you will see why we do not stock them in our store, and why I explain the danger to anyone who comes in to ask for one. We have had customers bring them to us, broken, and ask for replacements, at which time we ask them to please take the bulb away, dispose of it, and then get checked out by a medical professional.

I want nothing to do with those toxic bastard things what so ever, and I would recommend that all of you adopt the same attitude. They are, in my opinion, totally unfit for domestic, or for that matter commercial applications, and I have no idea how the companies that make them could possibly get away with it, aside of course, from by offering kickbacks to officials to ignore or downplay the risk these bulbs pose.
edit on 8-11-2014 by TrueBrit because: Grammar improvement.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Weird..
not so here in northern indiana.
What state are you in?

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Halogens look the best, but LED lights are pretty close and they use almost no energy, often less than fluorescent.

They last like 20 years.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Re electrosensitivity, I just ran across this video yesterday; the new bulbs put out a huge amount of EM; pertinent part regarding these kinds of bulbs at the 34 minute mark. I've said for years that we're being exposed to an assault of EM waves that humans aren't designed for, and of course been laughed at; I wonder how much worse the cancer rates will be before everyone wises up. Presently I live in a small cabin surrounded on two sides by mountains; no cell towers, radio doesn't work, pretty much an electro-shielded area. Lighting is either natural light or christmas LED white lights strung overhead which actually give off plenty of light and are quite cheerful when it's gloomy outside. I'd recommend them even over incandescents unless you need the stronger light. Fluorescent lights are poison to the body and brain, and of course every school kid is being exposed to them 8 hours a day and the idiots can't figure out why half the kids are ADD and the other half are morose. I had *one* teacher, count 'em, ONE, who refused to have the overhead lights on in her classroom and it was an oasis. Everyone noticed the difference.

Okay, the video refuses to embed: Here's the link: www.youtube.com...

Or, search for " Electro Pollution Explained to Sociology Students, Paul Waddell"
edit on 02381011amSaturdayf38Sat, 08 Nov 2014 10:38:02 -0600America/Chicago by signalfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Companies which still make incandescant bulbs, produce them with labels on the boxes which now say things like "Rough service" or "for industrial use only". It is basically a dodge, so that they can continue to manufacture and distribute the bulbs, despite the rulings which ban their domestic use. Thats how they roll in the EU anyway!

Despite the labels being changed, the contents of the box an incandescant bulb comes in, are identical to what they always were, although some companies have started to relax the standards of things like the finish of bulbs, the quality of the glass, the finish on the cap at the base of the bulb, commensurate with their new designation. They still work just fine in any regular light fixture though.
edit on 8-11-2014 by TrueBrit because: Added small detail.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: watchitburn

All fluorescent lights flicker. I am photosensitive. If the flicker gets to the wrong frequency, it can trigger the mother of all migraines. Even if the flicker doesn't get to the wrong frequency, when I get a migraine for other reasons, it's hard on my eyes and exacerbates the already existing migraine making it get worse faster.

That's why I bitch about them.

They make my life more difficult, so I wasn't pleased with being told I was going to have to have either them or much more expensive LEDs when cheaper incandescents were just fine.

Some fluorescent bulbs give me an instant migrane the minute they come on.
Others don't bother me. Same thing with some LEDs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join