a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71
You know, I am pretty outspoken about the dangers of use of the new energy saving bulbs.
When one of those bulbs breaks, one has to leave the room for fifteen minutes, to allow any particles released into the air to settle, then come back
to the room with a heavy duty mask on, not a paper mask or a dust mask, but one which filters dangerous chemical fumes. You know why?
It is because these newer, energy saving bulbs, contain mercury, which is poisonous on contact with skin, and if particles of it are inhaled, they
can cause massive damage to the brain. Exposure to mercury fumes literally makes one dumber by the second.
Once you sweep up the broken glass, and any other detritus from the breakage while wearing your mask, you must carefully contain the fragments and
slivers of bulb glass, inside a multi layered plastic bag with a sealable top, and ask your local government to point you in the direction of a
municipal disposal site which is set up to deal with them. However, that does absolutely nothing to solve the problem of any mercury which may have
seeped through your carpet, or between your floorboards, or into furnishings. Decontaminating a room properly is actually a very involved process. One
cannot just vacuum the floor, and hope for the best, if one wishes to avoid long term damage being done to ones health, and that of ones family,
friends, pets, and so on.
Professional cleaners with a background in chemical spillage solutions are really the only people outside of a government agency, who have the tools
and know how to actually get this done, and get it done right.
Add to that the fact that these bulbs are uniformly incapable of providing adequate light, and you will see why we do not stock them in our store,
and why I explain the danger to anyone who comes in to ask for one. We have had customers bring them to us, broken, and ask for replacements, at which
time we ask them to please take the bulb away, dispose of it, and then get checked out by a medical professional.
I want nothing to do with those toxic bastard things what so ever, and I would recommend that all of you adopt the same attitude. They are, in my
opinion, totally unfit for domestic, or for that matter commercial applications, and I have no idea how the companies that make them could possibly
get away with it, aside of course, from by offering kickbacks to officials to ignore or downplay the risk these bulbs pose.
edit on 8-11-2014
by TrueBrit because: Grammar improvement.