It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican thinker brands US woman's suicide 'wicked'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

A senior Vatican official has condemned as "wicked" the assisted suicide of Brittany Maynard, an American woman suffering from terminal brain cancer.

Seriously!? Wicked!?

"We do not judge the individuals but the act itself is to be condemned," said Ignacio Carrasco de Paula, the bishop who heads the Vatican's Pontifical Academy for Life, a semi-autonomous Church think-tank which studies ethical issues.

We know you are suffering horribly, but you mustn't end it yourself. You must let the cancer do it for you, or you have committed a wicked and sinful act. You will offend god! Where's my *rolling eyes emoticon*.

"But this is where the error lies: to commit suicide is not a good thing, it is a wicked thing because it is saying no both to one's own life and to everything which signifies respect for our mission in this world and towards those closest to us."

Do I really need to address this statement? "No to ones own life", "respect for our mission", and "those closest to us"? I'm speechless. Literally.
Article link
edit on 11/4/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
This is a classic case of projection.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
But it's OK for the Vatican to kill when they feel the need to because they have the authority from God?

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
If a human was alone in the woods and became so old they couldn't care for themselves anymore, should that be the end of the road or were nursing homes and assisted livings centers only born out of what's considered humane and moral? And if the person realized the beginning of their own death, should they be allowed to peacefully die by their own hand while they have the strength?

It's only selfish to die knowing you didn't do everything in your power to survive. Suffering is suffering. Falling asleep doesn't bring relief and there is nothing worth waking up to besides living another day in agony. It's a tough choice, that's for sure.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

We need to change the definition of sin. Absolitely ridiculous to call assisted suicide wicked unless your morality is solely based on a 2000 year old book.

I like the new Pope but most of the rest of the Vatican leaders are as backwards as ever.
edit on 4-11-2014 by tavi45 because: added a sentence

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

Not only is it wicked - its an 'intrinsically evil act'*** deeply offensive to God and to all right thinking, obedient Catholics. These things are not possible for such as yourselves to comprehend mainly because the harshest critics of the theology of the Church are non-believers - atheists and sometime agnostics. There is still Hope, but not a whole lot given the nature of your intransigence, and the marked degree of your recalcitrant attitude which leads to arrogance. Unfortunately that shall be enough to spell your self - condemnation.

An intrinsically evil act is a type of act that is, by its very nature, immoral. Intrinsically evil acts are inherently incompatible with the love of God and neighbor. What makes an act intrinsically evil is its moral object, that is, the end in terms of morality toward which that act is inherently ordered. By its very nature, independent of the intention of the person who chooses the act and independent of the circumstances, an intrinsically evil act is ordered toward an evil end, toward an end incompatible with God as our highest good and final end.
Catholic Answers Forums

edit on 4-11-2014 by hashtagzog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I sometimes think the only reason suicide became a "sin" to start with was to keep the enslaved from seeking freedom, and or escape by death. They were afraid it would become contagious, and there would be no one left to do the labor, and support the elites lavish lifestyles.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: hashtagzog

Not only is it wicked - its an 'intrinsically evil act'*** deeply offensive to God and to all right thinking, obedient Catholics. These things are not possible for such as yourselves to comprehend mainly because the harshest critics of the theology of the Church are non-believers - atheists and sometime agnostics. There is still Hope, but not a whole lot given the nature of your intransigence, and the marked degree of your recalcitrant attitude which leads to arrogance. Unfortunately that shall be enough to spell your self - condemnation.

I would agree only in that a good portion of those non-believers, atheists, and agnostics were once xtians like myself. ex-xtians are the biggest critics of the church because we can see what those who have never been xtian, can't.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: hashtagzog
a reply to: [post=18625123]. Unfortunately that shall be enough to spell your self - condemnation.

Five words:
International
Tribunal of
Crimes of
Church and
State

ITCCS.org goggle it!

edit on 4-11-2014 by Granite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Because protecting priests that molest choir boys isn't wicked or anything...

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Granite
Wrong address. It should be: ITCCS
The International Tribunal into Crimes of Church and State

Our Mandate: (1) To legally prosecute those people and institutions responsible for the exploitation, trafficking, torture and murder of children, past and present, and (2) To stop these and other criminal actions by church and state, including by disestablishing those same institutions.

Interesting. I'll take a look around their site.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

We need to change the definition of sin. Absolitely ridiculous to call assisted suicide wicked unless your morality is solely based on a 2000 year old book.

I like the new Pope but most of the rest of the Vatican leaders are as backwards as ever.

I agree with you.

How can relieving suffering be a sin (karma creating)? It is not like there is any ego predatory reason for her wanting to die and the people giving her the option would have healed her if they had the ability.

And to say it clearly if a person is meant to stay here alive there are ways for the other side of the veil to intervene and make sure the death do not happen.
edit on 4-11-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
I sometimes think the only reason suicide became a "sin" to start with was to keep the enslaved from seeking freedom, and or escape by death. They were afraid it would become contagious, and there would be no one left to do the labor, and support the elites lavish lifestyles.

True. After Jesus many killed themselves and the church had to impose this sin to make sure it did not continue.

en.wikipedia.org...

In general, the pagan world, both Roman and Greek, had a relaxed attitude towards the concept of suicide, a practice that was only outlawed with the advent of the Christians, who condemned it at the Council of Arles in 452 as the work of the Devil.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: hashtagzog

God could have intervened any time if god did not wanted her to die.

Maybe you should do like Jesus said and not judge and let god and the soul who left sort out their connection/relationship.

edit on 4-11-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
If the soul is eternal (and this is the church's stock in trade, right?) what difference does it make which plane you choose to be on in any given moment?

She made an entirely rational and personal decision, hopefully after trying all her options for a cure.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Where's my *rolling eyes emoticon*.

V V V V

for future reference

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Where's my *rolling eyes emoticon*.

V V V V

for future reference

Saved!

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

In general, the pagan world, both Roman and Greek, had a relaxed attitude towards the concept of suicide, a practice that was only outlawed with the advent of the Christians, who condemned it at the Council of Arles in 452 as the work of the Devil.

Thanks for this. I knew I had read something like this a long time ago, but couldn't remember where, or what the context was.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

But while the talk is about assisted suicide they can rub everything else under the rug. They should fire every cardinal and above after a non-renewable 4 years term so they'll try to make a change and exit afterward. After that they're just becoming ordinary politicians. It's just so funny to see how they swim in money/lands and pretend to be poor...no it's not funny :/

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   

I was sitting at my dining room table one morning and I received a dis-embodied embrace of peace and love, which I just sank into without questioning - it was such a beautiful feeling.

I heard later that a work colleague had committed suicide, which for me explained the embrace, because he was renowned for his warm, unrestrained hugs.

He was gay, Catholic, and he suicided... but that last hug let me know he was perfectly OK wherever he is now.

I just wish I could let his Mom know this... but the family insisted on a private family-only funeral, presumably because of the shame they felt, based on society's norms.

So much for what 'they' teach us...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join