It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where would we look for ancient civilizations from a billion years ago?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Where would we look for ancient civilizations from a billion years ago? Earth is nearly 4 billion years old. Humans, heck even dinosaurs only been around the last few 100 million. If ancient life were ever intelligent before we came how far down would we need to dig to find remnants of such a civilization? After a billion years would anything they created or made even exist any longer?

I suppose the moon and outer orbit could be a place to look for any sign of space fairing intelligent life but what if they never got that far. Where could we find evidence here on earth from so long ago?
edit on 29-10-2014 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

Clearly mars. Dinosaurs in space?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   

If there were intelligent life on Earth a Billion years ago I'd speculate that they were not terrestrial in nature, probably visitors.

"Hmm, this will be a nice place to visit someday, but I wouldn't want to live here now"

Then they'd leave devices on our moon, Mars and other outer moons farther out each in sequence to monitor whatever intelligent life on Earth develops progress.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

If there were intelligent life on Earth a Billion years ago I'd speculate that they were not terrestrial in nature, probably visitors.

"Hmm, this will be a nice place to visit someday, but I wouldn't want to live here now"

Then they'd leave devices on our moon, Mars and other outer moons farther out each in sequence to monitor whatever intelligent life on Earth develops progress.

I have thought of this before too. Wonder what we would look for out their in our solar system. Could be probes sitting there right now waiting for us to discover them.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Sir Arthur Charles Clarke speculated on such a notion, which was what the movie 2001 a space odyssey used as it's main premise.

The monolith was possibly one of many self replicating devices that would spread out into space and in systems that had the right combination of planet size and type within the 'Goldilocks' zone would plant a device on a nearby moon/body and then replicate another to continue the journey.

The device that stayed behind with a preprogrammed AI would then later deem when the time was right to make contact with the intelligent life that possibly developed in that system.

Seems feasible if in fact ancient ETs existed.

edit on 29-10-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
There would be hardly any evidence from even a hundred thousand years ago. Almost all iron would look like stone with the exceptions of some pieces under special dry conditions. Copper artifacts would be oxidized as would many other metals. Gold artifacts would be recognizable. Could the gold artifacts from two thousand years ago be much older than we think? Found in ancient ruins.

None of this means that modern humans were here over a hundred thousand years ago though. The possibility of a superior race of beings being here in the last million years is actually good, one with technology. Maybe they didn't have the exact technology that we have, they could have had something far superior to what we do today. But, of course nobody would ever admit this, because we are supposed to be super intellects as never seen before. One thing I have to admit, modern humans are the best egotistical creature to ever exist.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
under the oldest mountains??? I've recently moved into the appalacians and read their history ever since I can't shake the feeling that there is something deep inside them
there's a movie but I can't remember which one it is but it has a pretty graphic depiction of california sinking into the sea showing giant parts of the city falling intact
my first question is could anyone actually survive that since the native americans say that they came from under the ground. could it be possible for the such a large mass of earth to get swallowed up by the ground or ocean and well leave survivors along with their buildings and homes within a cavern alive?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   

We'd search in the same places we search to find fossils from that far back. If we can find fossils from that long ago, we'd be able to find signs of civilization. Though just about all of it would likely be gone.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

California will never fall into the sea. The two plates on the San Andreas fault line are moving in the wrong direction for that to happen.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Nanomachinery or nanobots buried in very ancient rock.

I can't imagine anything else surviving that long,to be honest.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
The Earliest human fossil evidence only goes back a couple hundred million years and it is clearly accompanied by artifact evidence buried in the same strata. The tool evidence hints at the level of metallurgical mastery and shape preference can be used to understand their beliefs and artistic inspirations. Archeologists make the best UFO investigators IMHO.

Did the American indians have a Höhler cave network?

Human history in the last 12,000 years has been dictated by shadow governments who use a hidden "code of superposition" that allows for plausible deniability of secret government knowledge.

Leonardo appear to have grasped the law of superposition, which would later be articulated fully by the Danish scientist Nicolaus Steno in 1669: in any sequence of sedimentary rocks, the oldest rocks are those at the base. He also appears to have noticed that distinct layers of rocks and fossils could be traced over long distances, and that these layers were formed at different times: ". . . the shells in Lombardy are at four levels, and thus it is everywhere, having been made at various times."

Recently while perusing Botticelli's works I discovered that they had glass in 1488 hundreds of years before Newton published!

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

but the appalacians were formed when two plates collided which means some of those plates were pushed down under.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

No the plate buckled in two spots. The Rockies and the Appalachians. Though the Appalachians were at a time MUCH higher (even higher than the Himalayas).

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

Ummm.... You really lost me dude. I'm not sure what you mean but yes glass is quite ancient.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
Where would we look for ancient civilizations from a billion years ago?

MH370 crash site anyone ?

OK ... I'm off.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

the rockies are much younger.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I have been told by someone I know who is a scientist, worked at Lockheed skunk works and Lawrence Livermore labs that there have been at least 3 advanced civilizations that have existed on Earth and long since left or wiped themselves out.

He theorizes that some of the visiting aliens are here "visiting the old home place".

We have not a clue for sure what the Earth looked like 1 billion years ago, but rest assured anything that would have been on the surface then has long been wiped out by plate tectonics, and buried miles deep or melted.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

Sir Arthur Charles Clarke speculated on such a notion, which was what the movie 2001 a space odyssey used as it's main premise.

The monolith was possibly one of many self replicating devices that would spread out into space and in systems that had the right combination of planet size and type within the 'Goldilocks' zone would plant a device on a nearby moon/body and then replicate another to continue the journey.

The device that stayed behind with a preprogrammed AI would then later deem when the time was right to make contact with the intelligent life that possibly developed in that system.

Seems feasible if in fact ancient ETs existed.

And if IIRC, there is a similar strange monolith on one of the Martian moons that looks strangely artificial. Who knows, though.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: SubSea

That's a pretty wild theory. I wonder what books he's been reading? Do you have any more details than that?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

Well that started out strong, I'll give you that, but sorta petered out there at the end.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join