It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apparently, I have google plus.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
So, I've worked very hard to create myriad internet personas, no pictures of myself, not using my real name, etc, not because I'm truly paranoid, but because I think should I ever need to do a job interview, want to go back to school or start up a company or something, I don't want that madness online haunting me around very real people. I've been interviewed by the FBI before in my youth. I'm sure if they need to find me, they know where to look, although the last time they tracked me down, they targeted my family and had no clue where I was at, so maybe I give them too much credit.

Anyway, I comment on youtube quite a bit, and apparently each time I comment on youtube, they make a post under my account on Google Plus. I never knew this, and I went onto Google plus today and apparently I have followers and they were generous enough to link my picasa account automatically to my Google plus page so that all of my backup storage pictures are now linked to my email account in what appears to be public albums. There are no current pictures of me, but there are actually a few pictures of me as a teenager plus pictures of some of my half-siblings on there.

So, is it strange that I feel violated by Google? I didn't even know I had a google plus account, let alone an audience and a public profile. So annoying.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Someone correct me if Im wrong, but I believe google+ and youtube accounts are linked.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Welcome to the internet, a series of tubes where everything is connected. This is why multiple account usage is useful, at least for combating would be fanboys/girls. Can't help the IP tracking though D:

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

The phrase...

"Welcome to my home, said the spider to the fly." comes to mind here.

If you have a on-line persona, then you can be found. And the more personas you make, the easier it is. Not even proxies are safe.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Google bought out Youtube.

I've been checking my smartphone, since my Gmail account stopped downloading, and it seems every time there's a Google update, they automatically opt you in to their backup data mirroring service.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoeSaintsky
Someone correct me if Im wrong, but I believe google+ and youtube accounts are linked.

DING! WE have a winner!

Give that person a drink!

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I udnerstand your pain man...I don't use any social media but my google gmail account forces me to have a google plus account that forces me to auto log into youtube...even if i log it google chrome recongizes who I am and forces me into youtube. So what I do is use different browsers for different things...I probably have 5 browsers that each serve their purpose...its great and a big F you to google....don't get me wrong I like google's services but any corporation that forces me to do anything i'm not cool with. Ive slowly been converting myself over to another email service.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Google+ was also mandatory for gmail account creation at some point.

This video shows how to remove google+ from youtube accounts.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

I'm not really worried about being found. It is more the nibby secretary doing a simple google search and making me deal with conformist flak because of comments I made while under an altered state of consciousness that I'm really worried about. Actually, anyone who would waste resources tracking me down has way too much time/knowledge on their hands.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Yeah..

But you can turn the google plus option off so you're pictures are not uploaded.

Also turn off the Google location...Coz why would you want people too know were you are right

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Septimus

Bahaha "a series of tubes"
takes me back to the GWBush days.

This also happened to me, I was not a happy camper. I have a gaming/trollololing/internet career, and a professional business career, with high hopes. These two worlds can never meet. Ever.
edit on 22-10-2014 by 0bservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I hear ya. I actually use my real name on-line with the exception of ATS, which is the only social media I comment on. My name is pretty common so I get lost in the weeds pretty easy. When I was in the service not to long ago, I used to make bets with the tech savvy and Intel weenies. If they could find me within two weeks they would get a $50.00 gift card. $100.00 gift card if they could do it within 24hrs. After two weeks, if they couldn't find me, they would chip in $10.00 to the Family Support Group (FSG).

It got to the point where our FSG had to give money to other FSG's because there is a certain limit on what funds a FSG can keep.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Think of the joy I have when my children's YouTube comments are posted as mine. I don't use that picture app however, I do comment on Google play. I refuse to even acknowledge Google +. They were failing so everything required it at one time.

That doesn't mean I'm required to suffer through it.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Septimus

It's a pain that everything seems to automatically link to Google+

Luckily, it is pretty simple to go into YouTube settings and unlink and change privacy settings on Google so nothing is public. It's just time consuming.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Anonymity regarding our beloved internet does not exist in this day of age, and that's by design from its very inception.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Yep. Just got a new smart phone-android. Everything in it..everything...is Google. Pictures of my deceased mother popped up on my phone from a piscasa(?) acct. Hadnt seen that one in years...shocking to see mom....

So now for me my phone, internet, wifi, data, gps, maps. locaters, youtube, photo gallery, facebook etc etc etc...ALL popped up linked to Google.

Stuff I had deleted years ago from places...showed up now on my phone

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

It sucks because Android is really good, but I hate having to block or disable every app that is preloaded on a new phone. I guess "don't be evil" is no longer google's motto.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: InvisibleOwl

Don't know about Android being good right now, considering the 4.2.2 update no longer supports proper access to your external SD card. Cant even download to the thing anymore.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Agreed on that. I have to plug the SD directly into my laptop and then put it in my phone after. Pain in the butt

I will revise my earlier statement to "android is really good compared to apple." lol
edit on 22-10-2014 by InvisibleOwl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

top topics

join