It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government to Ordained Ministers: Celebrate Same-Sex Wedding or Go to Jail

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+48 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Linky

For years, those in favor of same-sex marriage have argued that all Americans should be free to live as they choose. And yet in countless cases, the government has coerced those who simply wish to be free to live in accordance with their belief that marriage is the union of a man and a woman.

Ministers face a 180-day jail term and $1,000 fine for each day they decline to celebrate the same-sex wedding.

Just this weekend, a case has arisen in Idaho, where city officials have told ordained ministers they have to celebrate same-sex weddings or face fines and jail time.

Most who have read my posts know that I have no issue with gay marriage. But this is what many have warned about.

This is the PC over-reach, telling faith-based organizations what to believe and how to act.

I look forward to seeing everyone condemn the acts of government in this and support the ministers, regardless of their faith.

As always, read, reply, ignore or eat raw meat on the subway. It is always up to you.

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Not often I agree with you, but Im sick at how governments are telling us what opinions we are allowed to have and what we can or can not agree with.

+11 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Too true.

If we allow the government to dictate what a religion can believe, then I think it's time for a reboot.

+26 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I wonder if this applies to Muslim preachers as well?

Somehow, I'll bet it won't.......but if it does, things could get very interesting for sure!

+38 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

This is absolutely fantastic. The psychic warfare is reaching fever pitch. I'm gay and support equal rights but forcing priests and churches to do anything against their religion is against everything our nation stands for.

This is a way different ballgame than forcing businesses to comply with equal rights laws. This has gone too far. This is clearly a ploy to further divide our nation.

Don't do what they want and hate gay people for this clear overreach. This isn't what any reasonable gay rights advocate wants. Anyone who does is as fanatical as any religious fundamentalist

+28 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
www.religionnews.com...

Religious entities are exempt from the city’s ordinance, as they often are in discrimination ordinances. But earlier this year, city attorney Warren Wilson said that the chapel, a for-profit business, would likely be required to follow the ordinance.

Apparently the crux is they are not classified as a non-profit religious institution but as a public business meaning the non-discrimination laws apply to them.

+12 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

Correct.
This isn't about gay rights, it is about government overreaching and going outside of the boundaries of our Constitution.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

Interesting twist.

It'll be a good case to watch.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
This kind of politically correct nonsense makes me glad that I left my American Ministry and came home to the UK. You cannot force Ordained Ministers to go against their core religious beliefs just so you don't upset the Gay community.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm okay with people being gay and being part of my congregation, but many Christian Ministers are not.

It's a crazy world really...

Rev

+7 more 
link   

Ministers face a 180-day jail term and $1,000 fine for each day they decline to celebrate the same-sex wedding.

So it seems some people will be forced to go against their beliefs after causing no harm to any "victim".

Authoritarianism gone crazy.

Freedom of choice with no intended harm.

Hmmm.

link   
a reply to: tavi45

I agree.

The gay community will bear the brunt of this backlash.

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: revmoofoo
This kind of politically correct nonsense makes me glad that I left my American Ministry and came home to the UK. You cannot force Ordained Ministers to go against their core religious beliefs just so you don't upset the Gay community.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm okay with people being gay and being part of my congregation, but many Christian Ministers are not.

It's a crazy world really...

Rev

Good for you!

That's the other thing I don't understand. Why would anyone want to be married by someone who is against their marital union in the first place?

+17 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

The article claims countless cases and links to The Heritage Foundation (I guess to prove their claim) which sites zero cases of clergy being forced to marry same sex couples. The article leads to only ONE such case but it's not so cut and dry is it? Nope, not at all. The Heritage Foundation linked article whines about public business having to deal with same sex couples for their weddings (if people don't understand public accommodation by now, I suspect they're being deliberately obtuse).

Which brings us to the case of the Knapps, the ONE case of ordained ministers being forced to perform a same sex marriage via threat of fines and or jail time. The Knapps are not operating in a church, in fact they don't have a church that either work for. What they have is a public business, a for profit wedding chapel and as such they are rightfully subject to public accommodation.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Gays can marry all they want for all I care, live and let live.

But this is nuts.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

When the missus I are were wed, we had counceling by the minister prior to the event.

As man and wife, he wanted us to understand the vows we were taking and took the ceremony seriously.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
i sense the lawyer being ready to suck as much money as possible

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

So to hell with their beliefs.

Okay. Thanks for sharing.

+18 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

This isn't a church. It's a for-profit chapel. It's no different than if they were orthodox Jews working at McDonalds, serving pork. Honestly, I think it's in bad taste to pick on them since it's kinda like a church but since it's a straight-up for-profit joint, they gotta play by the rules.

The day they start telling churches they need to officiate ceremonies that run counter to their religion is the day I will stand next to the fundies and conservatives with picket signs. That day, I will proudly stand in the corner of the Christian church in their defense.

This, however, is not that.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: seeker1963

When the missus I are were wed, we had counceling by the minister prior to the event.

As man and wife, he wanted us to understand the vows we were taking and took the ceremony seriously.

Same here. At least for my first one. The second wife just got the JP treatment!

But as you can see, it didn't make much of a difference. The state made money off of the 2 licenses and the lawyers definitely made some cash from the divorces!
edit on 19-10-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

So based simply from tax status, you think the government has a right to dictate what a minister should believe?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join