It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme Lucid Nightmares - No Lights - Dark Darker than Dark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Hello everyone once again. I've come to you all previously for help figuring out my dreams. I make no predictions as I'm not into that, but I come rather to share and hopefully gain some insight. This thread will ask the same.

Let's jump right in. I'm not much of a lucid dreamer. Most of the time, even though very detailed, my dreams are still just regular dreams (or nightmares). But over the past few days, my dreams have become more real. It's gotten to the point of being unsettling. A constant theme in these nightmares is the fact that lights typically don't work. When I try to use them, like flip the light switch, they simply won't turn on. It has even gone so far as to actually sever power cords to lamps in my dreams. For the most part, I can still see in the dark, but there are times where the dark is darker than anything I could have imagined. Imagine looking into a total black abyss, devoid of any life, of any light.

Being faced with this abyss, even though through a dream, is quite unnerving. It's been bothering me more and more lately and I grow extremely anxious and tense during these dreams. I wake up with a bad feeling, sometimes I'm forced to turn on a light as I feel as though I'm not alone. (Anxiety caused by the nightmares I'm sure.)

I have looked online and found little information, typically the information I have found only goes as far as explaining why light switches won't work. It's obviously your subconscious trying to work out fears of the unknown, like your future. (Which seems apt considering my current living situation.)

But that doesn't explain the cords being cut, or the deep, dark abyss I'm often faced with. It's those two things that are the most unsettling. Any and all input, thoughts, or opinions would be warmly welcomed.

Thanks for taking the time to take a look.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Auricom

Make it darker, do what it wants you to do would be my suggestion. Don't resist it.

When I reached the apex of my lucid experiences I found my subconscious had to find work arounds to hiding from me. Now my dreams are usually so abstract nothing resembles anything.

This might be a way to gain access to the next level and there are many. Just when you think you've gone all the way something else presents itself. In total darkness the smallest of light is easier to see.

Good luck, don't freak it's just a dream.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

Thank you for your reply AnteBellum. I am however quite content with the dreams I typically have. I have no desire to mess about in my subconscious. Let's say ignorance is bliss, and I'd like to remain blissful.

I did venture into the darkness once. I was looking for someone, and I just "knew" they were in the dark room. (Happened to be a garage.) I found them, shortly after I awoke with extreme anxiety. I didn't go far, maybe just a step over the threshold from the hall into the garage, but that was more than enough.

I have issues with anxiety and OCD, I just don't want to add any more.

**Edit**

I'd love to hear your input as to why you think power cords to my lamps are cut. It's like my subconscious does not want the light on at all.
edit on 17-10-2014 by Auricom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Try watching the sunrise and sunset, everyday for a couple of weeks or 3. Also, when you awake fearful, speak the WORD, if you are comfortable with that. Trust in Let there be LIGHT, not necessesarily religious, more home field advantage. Seriously, embrace light wherever you see it. Pity shadows, like when light comes through the blinds in a room. Focus on the light, not the shadows or dark. Try and focus on the warmth of light, really feel it. Do not stare at artificial lights. Absorb light with your senses, get drunk with it. Overload your sensory organs with the warmth of natural light. Look at the stars, the moon, the sunset afterglow. Realize light can and will find you, and so you should seek it. This will help you sleep better, reset your body and mind. If you have a fireplace, clean the flue and use it. Relax and get back in sync with your inner circadian rhythm. Give it a try. Your mind and body function as a superior memory sponge, use them.

edit on 17-10-2014 by Boscov because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Boscov

Thank you for the tips Boscov. I am religious, in my own kind of way and have found myself using it in many of my nightmares previously. However, these dreams are rather illusive, they're like a nightmare but not quite. They push me at the edge of my comfort zone, to the brink of becoming truly unsettling but it always pulls back the rein when I'm about to go into nightmare mode.

My dreams are like movies, I can only watch. I have no real control over anything and rely on my fear to do the work for me.

**Edit**
Sorry Boscov, I had forgotten to add this previously. I'm in Europe and the sun set due to winter happens early and I'm not always available to see it.
edit on 17-10-2014 by Auricom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Nightmares are the worst, especially when they feel so real.

A constant theme in these nightmares is the fact that lights typically don't work. When I try to use them, like flip the light switch, they simply won't turn on. It has even gone so far as to actually sever power cords to lamps in my dreams.

Light switches and lights not working is pretty common in dreams, same thing with the phone.

Since your dream is lucid, have you tried walking through a door to try and change the scene? If the dream is just too dark to find a door, another option is to spin around. While spinning think about another scene, like an open meadow in the middle of the day. Spinning helps me change locations in dreams.

Hope that helps, sorry you're experiencing these nightmares.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

Hey Jenny, thanks for your reply.

Even though the dreams are lucid, I still don't have full control over the situations presented to me in these dreams. If I could change the surroundings, I would in a heart beat. Instead, I simply wake up in an anxious state.

There are two sides to my dreams: The darkness which is absolute and all encompassing. It's typically behind a door that I have to open. I don't know it's behind there before I open the door or whatever it is. I'm typically lead to these areas as I have something I *MUST* get.

Than there's the less unsettling side: The lights not working. As I mention above, I can still see even though the lights are off, but it fills me with a feeling of anxiousness. I try to flip light switches to no avail. Last dream I tried to troubleshoot why my lights didn't work and discovered that the actual power cord was severed.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I'd love to hear your input as to why you think power cords to my lamps are cut. It's like my subconscious does not want the light on at all.

Well, it shows deliberate intent.
Your mind wants you to notice it a certain way and that relates to how you've represented it symbolically from 'real life', whether through movies or personal events. Usually cords are cut to stop someone from making a phone call or being able to see, it might be a subconscious message to that effect. Dreams are really subjective, without knowing you it's very hard and stays in the real of 'dream book interpretation' which I find too literal at times.

Have you read 'The Interpretation of Dreams
Book by Sigmund Freud'? It's where I started to get a better understanding of this topic knowing the symbolism aspects first. Some of his ideas are a bit outdated(sexual archtypes), but as a guideline it helped me understand the psychology behind what my mind was creating. Also studying Dali and surrealism gave me a little more insight too.
edit on 10/17/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Your abyss dream sounds terrifying. Ive experienced some bad parasomnia, but it sounds like your experience tops it off.

I get sleep paralysis from time to time, and I have been tormented by literal demons during these episodes. It is a supernatural/spiritual phenomenon, not psychological. I often have these episodes in real time while my friends and family are experiencing them too...like a synchronized attack. Something is watching me, and tries to hit me when my guard is down at night.

I have discovered a way to stop the episodes:

First, you have to believe that Jesus died to free us from our sins (and sin nature) by paying our debt on the cross. Without this, steps two and three will not help, and may make things worse.

Second, confess your sins to God the Father when needed. Fear is a sin as it stands between you and faith.

Third, ask God to deliver you from the abyss and the entities that haunt you while the episode is happening, in Jesus name.

These three things are the only things that haved worked for me, I hope it helps you. Your problem sounds serious. Of we cant find peace in our rest, then where can we find it?

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Interesting dream... Lucid dreaming is always an un nerving experience atleast for me. Im not sure i can offer much insight as at 27 i am still having a hard time explaining my own lucid/hyper realistic dreams. If you dont mind i would like to ask a few questions though. Is this a theme that has been recurring your whole life or one that is only more recent? Have you ever/do you struggle or have history of struggles with depression? In "real life" Are you afraid of the dark? And i mean that in a literal sense... does the dark make you feel un easy/anxious? If you were say in your house in the dead of night and for some reason the power was out and you had no candles/artificial light- Would that cause you any distress?

I only ask because i have suffered from night terrors/lucid dreams off an on my whole life, a lot more so when i was younger. I went through intesne therapy and was "taught" for lack of a better term, how do block out these "negative" emotions. That said i still, to this day, am afraid of the dark. I know there aren't monsters etc. hiding waiting to get me and thats not really what the fear is... more so of the unknown. THe lack of seeing- not knowing- not being able to know with 100% certainty what is really there..

To me just objectively without knowing anything about you- and without any qualifications lol - I would say what you described sounds like your subconscious trying to force you to deal with something you dont really want to. Something has/or is threatening to alter your normal routine. THey cut the chords. Now you are in a familiar place- but its not the same. The all encompassing dark i would see as the future. You cant really see whats there.. you feel compelled to move towards it. Your environment is similar to what it always has been, but something has happened to threaten change, and with change comes the unknown. You dont really know whats behind that door.. which is why the dark is dark you cant see through it. THe only way to find out is to walk into the dark head on, and hope for the best. idk... probably all sounds like rubbish lol but just my thoughts...
edit on 493144511pm31America/Chicagov by itswhatev because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
could it be that you are receiving a warning
about the three days of darkness?
I hope this link works
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
lol, when i read the OP it made me think of Aliens.
Like skinwalkers.

Ever see this impenitrable blackness take any shapes?

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Hi OP, I will try to help you out.

First thing you need to know is that "intention" controls your dreams. It is not your will, not your desire, not your wish, it is that pure intention.
It is pretty hard for a beginner to generate some solid intention, both awake and asleep. However there are few methods that will make your subconscious mind generate those intentions. One of the most powerful is fear. While you fear something, in the 'background' your subconscious mind creates that pure intention.
You have experienced that type of scenario several times, where cords are cut, lights are off, getting darker. Next time you are dreaming slightest reminder of those events will trigger those same intentions and they will grow really fast, the more you are scared, the more you get. This is a simple explanation and there are few simple solutions for this.

Next time when you see a slightest hint of such scenario of what you described, just laugh at it. Don't think of mechanics here, just laugh honestly. Remember this and think of it for some time, replay that scenario in your head couple of times. It might take few times before you remember to do this in your dream, but as soon as you will laugh at that moment, things will change. For beginning it is enough, keep this as a habit to fight your future nightmares. This is a noob tool, but it works great.
If you can't laugh at it, simple smile when it happens

However there is a very small chance that darkness is something different, but I highly doubt it. To understand it, I need to ask few questions.
Darkness happens when you are about to fall asleep or you are just falling or just felt asleep or it happens in the middle of the night(without wake ups before your dream)?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnuTyr
Ever see this impenitrable blackness take any shapes?

No, thankfully!

a reply to: flowofmysoul

It happens within the actual dream itself, I'm dreaming something and I get the feeling that I have to look for something (or someone), I get the feeling that it's behind a door, I go to open the door (which is typically difficult to open) and am then faced with the darkness.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
If it truly was a lucid dream, you would be able to control everything. The only reason you can't change your environment is because you believe you can't. All it takes is the will and belief to make your dream anything you want it to be.

Second tip. YOU are the Light. If the darkness is almost tangible like you describe it, then it is not a physical darkness but a supernatural darkness. Switching on a light won't dispel that kind of darkness, it is up to you to shine it away.

How do I do that, you might ask. Radiating your inner Light is simply connecting with the Source of Light, feeling the pure power of Love and absolute fearlessness within. My own personal definition of fear is the belief that you are separate from God.

If this is a recurring dream for you, I'm pretty sure it is because you are being tested. If you don't learn to control the dream, then it will control you.

Cheers, and happy dreaming to you

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Then its ok, simply try to do what I advised above.
edit on 19-10-2014 by flowofmysoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Thank god other people have experienced this.
Dreams like these always start with me waking up.
I feel (physically) someone near, on or touching me. It may not be a person, but an animal or who knows what...
I wake up feeling an intense evil, and thinking that I am truly waking up, I try to turn on my light, but it won't turn on. I panic. Try several times but to no avail.
This is accompanied by something whispering to me. One time, I felt it was the devil.
Oh and also I can't talk or scream.

It is unidentifiable when I actually do wake up, as the transaction between the dream and the real awareness is seamless. But suddenly, the light will work and all the negative energy appears to suck out of the room in to some void.

I used to only be able to describe it as a form of sleep 'paralysis' in which I had complete freedom of moving around. Knowing that this could not be true, I've been searching for an answer or stories like this for years.
I'm so happy I found this.

I call it a dream, but I'm convinced it's more than that. Why are there always demonic voices talking to me? Why do I feel things scrabbling off my pillow or stroking my back? Why when I wake up do my sheets fall back down on my body as if something was under them with me?

I honestly am now less scared than curious, as this has happened too many times.

new topics

top topics

join