It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Task force recommends UTMB as Ebola treatment center

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

GALVESTON — The task force created by Gov. Rick Perry to address the state’s response to Ebola infections, says the University of Texas Medical Branch should be designated as an official treatment center for Ebola cases.

“We recommend that DHSH should immediately initiate discussions with the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston and its local stakeholders to establish UTMB as the first of two designated Ebola treatment facilities in Texas. UTMB is well know as one of the world’s leading resources for all aspects of high-consequence infectious diseases like Ebola, and a national center which provides training to professionals from all around the world on these diseases.”

It sounds to me like they are expecting many more cases over the next few weeks. These types of plans are not put in to motion for a temporary situatiom, but rather for the type.thatvare seen to be as ongoing.

Granted, this facility actually does have the equipment to handle these types of patients, on a limited basis.

However, as I learned last night, infection control procedures are not always meticulously followed, even in a facility that is 'uniquely qualified' to treat patients with this rare and incurable disease.

As we have seen in Dallas, all it takes is one patient and a few mistakes later, there are consequences of an international nature to deal with.

I know some peolple that work there, I think I will see what their take on this is and see what is the tone of the buzz.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Glad I was able to get a day of fishing in at the 61st Pier this year. Doesn't look like I will be going anywhere near there, of course that is just an hour away from Houston, another major population center.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: QuietSpeech

The restaurat I help manage is right on Seawall, so we have a great view of the beach. This thing just keeps getting closer and closer to home for me.

The cruise ship has passengers I spoke with the day it went out, and when they come back to port will quite possibly visit my restaurant again.

You can bet that I will be watching for a name of that lab person so I can do some contact tracing myself.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical
Oh god don't let the blue crabs get Ebola!

I thought there was a SNAFU with UTMB a while back...

WASHINGTON -- A high-security biodefense laboratory in Texas has lost track of a lethal hemorrhagic fever virus sample in an incident said to underscore recent government warnings about how the United States oversees the deadly disease agents it holds for study.

Experts and researchers at other institutions have generally chalked up the Guanarito virus sample's disappearance to an clerical slipup at the Galveston National Laboratory. Auditors last week failed to locate the material inside a freezer in the facility's Biosafety Level 4 section, which is designated for handling potentially fatal, aerially transmissible pathogens that have no known cure.

www.nti.org...

a lethal hemorrhagic fever virus

uhh, Ebola?

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

However, as I learned last night, infection control procedures are not always meticulously followed, even in a facility that is 'uniquely qualified' to treat patients with this rare and incurable disease.

Yeah,
But it's an Island. That's a big consideration even though they won't say it out loud.
Shut down the causeway, San Louis Pass bridge and the ferry...Post patrol boats to prevent boat traffic, you're done.

Too bad.
I like Galveston.

I think the NWO has figured out how to handle the "Texas Problem."

edit on 17-10-2014 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: badgerprints

Yeah,
But it's an Island. That's a big consideration even though they won't say it out loud.
Shut down the causeway, San Louis Pass bridge and the ferry...Post patrol boats to prevent boat traffic, you're done.

Too bad.
I like Galveston.

I think the NWO has figured out how to handle the "Texas Problem."

Ok, that's it, I am not going to work on Sunday.

Ugh.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Ok, that's it, I am not going to work on Sunday.

Ugh.

Sorry,
Just calling it as I see it.
I really like Galveston.
Gonna miss eating cheap breakfasts at Gorditas.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
How difficult would it be to attach an RFID tag to every vial of dangerous virus? My university library was doing that to their books over 25 years ago. Any attempt to steal a book would trigger an alarm. They could perform an inventory by just sweeping a wand across the shelves.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Transferred new potential patient to Presbyterian already today... I guess decision makers at UTMB can't keep up with the pace lol.

new topics

top topics

join