It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South African pastor makes members drink petrol

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
It is stuff like this which further shows that organised religion can influence humanity's mind, and not for the better.

Like, WTF?

Pretoria pastor Lesego Daniel ropes in congregants to support his claims that he can turn petrol into pineapple juice.

Believers are now taking their faith to another level by drinking petrol to “connect to God”.

In January this year, Pastor Lesego Daniel made members of his church eat grass for the same reason.

At the time he reportedly told his congregation that eating grass would rid them of their sins and heal them of any ailments they may have had.

www.liveleak.com...

Now i'm not hating on all religious practices, but i think this video is a clear indication as to just how much influence religion can have on people. I mean, these people were lining up to drink petrol after being told that the pastor had altered it to pineapple juice. This is crazy.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
WTF indeed! This is madness! And how he is all like well 'it has alot of fumes but no side effects' as soon as he takes a sip from the bottle.. Ugh. Obviously Pineapple Juice has no fumes!

Reminds me of one of them creepy religious cults where they commit mass suicides from drinking posion cocktails.

Or by their movements i also get visions of the walking dead.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Natural selection in action. Anyone that gullible and stupid deserves what they get.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
It is stuff like this which further shows that organised religion can influence humanity's mind, and not for the better.

It's not religion that's the problem. It's just that people are stupid.

It didn't take religion for an frustrated Austrian painter to convince an entire nation that it was in their interest to slaughter ethnic minorities and handicapped people. In fact, what little resistance there was was mostly from the religious folks.

Yup, people are just stupid.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Man those people act, just like the people that believe what the US Politicians tell them.

And Obama said he was from Krypton.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Natural selection in action. Anyone that gullible and stupid deserves what they get.

Ha, Ha, you said it.

Perfect.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

that wasn't petrol you unbeliever... he said in the video it was transformed into pineapple juice.

Nothing to see here people. Move along.

People drinking juice is nothing.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

originally posted by: daaskapital

It's not religion that's the problem. It's just that people are stupid.

It's both. The people may already be stupid, but it is the pastor of whom is manipulating them and further destroying their minds.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

And leading them too believe that its just fine to drink Petrol!
He is absolutely manipulating them no doubt and religion is his tool to do so, how else would he get them to do it? take something they wholly believe in and benefit from it, get himself more followers by saying he can turn petrol to pineapple juice, what is he trying to make people think he is the new Jesus or something. ugh and then anyone will think they can come follow his take on the religion because all it takes is a tasty plate of grass and all your sins are forgiven, ugh give me a break! And saying it will heal them? so if these people get any problems what are they going too do munch on some grass instead of getting proper medical care? 'got Ebola? no worries just eat some grass you will be fine.

These people are way too gullible, and they are putting to much trust in to him just because he is a 'pastor' which im assuming would make him superior to them and closer to god, so better listen too what he says..

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
It seems more like a personality cult than religion.
A preacher in a snake cult died this year when he was bitten by a snake.
I don't think the bible told him to do that. He decided to use religion for his own purposes and it turned around and bit him.
Same with the petrol preacher he's playing his own game. Not following a religious doctrine.

Aside from religious confusion, this doesn't even have any practical benefit.
What are all of those people gonna do when they run out of gas?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
i lived in SA for almost 4 years, this unfortunately does not surprise me at all.
It's just a very extreme example of how religion thrives where ignorance is present.
Or any unsubstantiated belief system for that matter.
All you needed to do is drive down a main road to be handed out fliers about witch doctors that could make your enemies appear inside a mirror so you can confront them, promising potions that will make you a sex god, or lift curses from your business/shop.
I collected them, i thought they were really funny.
If you want to stop this sort of thing form happening, you need to educate people.
As long as they are ignorant, they will believe anything.
it's common practice to give children names of famous companies because it is believed it will bring good fortune, so you have people actually called vodaphone, shell, and so forth.
If we dropped books instead of bombs, we would have a more educated society, and a less aggressive one at that.
On the other hand, if we start educating Africans, they might understand how badly we are screwing them over, and that would be bad for business...

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Firstly, I am a South African, I love my country, but being a 3rd world country we have many problems that still needs to be dealt with.

Regarding the religion side of things, alot of the black population are actually christian, however they also still hold too their traditional ancestor worship, a kind of shamanism of sorts, the "priests" being called "sangomas" amongst various other names.This makes them probably the closest to a christian pagan that there is as they worship not only God, but their ancestors aswell. Many of these "priests" are some of the biggest shamsters around.

The education levels in our country is shocking to say the least and superstitions are still very alive and well in the black communities. Unfortunately this leaves alot of opportunity for conmen to take advantage of some of the less educated people.

Yes,these people are stupid in our eyes, but sometimes they just plain dont know any better, dont get me wrong, i dont really symphathize with them, surely you dont need a university degree to have common sense , just thought Ill add my 2 cents as a South African.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse

If we dropped books instead of bombs, we would have a more educated society, and a less aggressive one at that.
On the other hand, if we start educating Africans, they might understand how badly we are screwing them over, and that would be bad for business...

You could easily say the same about the U.S.
Same situation, less melanin.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   
If you're able to utterly convince a group of people that gods, ghouls and ghosts exist, it wouldn't take much to make them believe that gasoline has been turned to pineapple juice.

Ask the Catholic Church.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Dmvr34

what they are doing is natural
how many successful people in those communities are religious? i bet almost all of them at least claim to be
these people are desperate and emulating success
if successful people are religious desperate people will copy that to try to be successful (this is sometimes a conscious decision but most often subconscious)

as for drinking petrol......the church teaches that the priest literally converts the eucharist and wine into the body and blood of jesus .....why is it such a stretch to imagine he could also turn petrol into pineapple juice?
"successful people believe this....and they wouldnt be successful if they were superstitious fools.....so it must be true right?"

unfortunately those successful people are almost always wolves in sheeps clothing hoping for a quick and easy meal from the ignorant flock that has been grouped together for farming under the guise of safety
edit on 13-10-2014 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: badgerprints
It seems more like a personality cult than religion.

so what is the technical difference between a cult and a religion?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: sirhumperdink

Thats actually quite a good question if you take into account all the various types of worship around these days.

Religion is generally inherited from our parents / family / friends or cultural background etc etc. a kinda "monkey see, monkey do" effect.
Cults generally seem to recruit members in some way or another.

Religions have, in general, a fairly permanent set of beliefs.
Cults would seem to change theirs dependant on the needs/mood of the leader.

Anyway, thats just how it seems to me.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Take note, I used the word RELIGION and not Christians in above post.
There are bad apples and gullible followers in all religions.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dmvr34
a reply to: sirhumperdink
Religion is generally inherited from our parents / family / friends or cultural background etc etc. a kinda "monkey see, monkey do" effect.
Cults generally seem to recruit members in some way or another.

I must remember to tell that to the next Christian that knocks on my front door.....

Religions have, in general, a fairly permanent set of beliefs.
Cults would seem to change theirs dependant on the needs/mood of the leader.

Such as....the pope?

The only difference between a religion and a cult is the number of members it has.

A handful of people doing religious type things in a front room: cult.

Hundreds/thousands in a church: religion.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
It's stuff like this that suggests to me that religious belief --not spirituality itself-- is some kind of atavism; an unevolved behavior used to bind prehistoric societies together that's a leftover trait from an earlier time when it was needed. I think that's why religiosity and stupidity; as this story so well demonstrates, mix like vodka and petroleum, er; pineapple juice.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join