It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22 down in Jordan?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I just Googled F-22 in Syria for an update and saw a thread for F-22 shot down with Pics of a tail of an F-22.

There was some discussion of Russian SAMs, however, it looks like this "report" has been translated from Arabic...cough,cough, so I reserve judgment on this one.

Can anyone debunk/confirm this story?

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Any Links, Pics etc?

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

This is from August 2013. Never happened.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

And the never happened link that doesn't show the tail of an F22?

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Crash of an F-22A during testing. They switched power off briefly after he landed, and didn't reset it before he departed again, so when the pilot took of it was out of control and crashed onto the runway, leaving the aircraft largely intact but destroyed. Which means it left tails.

F-22 "Shot down" in Jordan:
media.moddb.com...

F-22 that crashed during testing:
files.air-attack.com...

Huh, see anything similar there?
edit on 10/11/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Damn. I missed the date. Sorry about that.

I kind of freaked out...LOL.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Come on, you're skeptical of zaphods claims, but show no skepticism to the claims of the downed F22?

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

They switched power off briefly after he landed, and didn't reset it before he departed again,

I am sure they have since installed a warning light for that…

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: AlphaHawk

Come on, you're skeptical…

Thank you…

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

It's part of the checklist. Pilot failed to follow the checklist. Human error.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: AlphaHawk

Trouble is, it's not impossible. Especially when any fighter is well within the envelope of a SAM site that's unknown or assumed to be 'neutral'.

Add in a dedicated site commander who can't resist the temptation?....

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Yugoslavia showed that stealth isn't perfect, just very very good. A Raptor is beyond tempting to a missile battery and I'm surprised no one has shot yet.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Okay, but even my car has a seatbelt warning light. So what you are saying is that is such a complex piece of fighter jet that a simple mistake like that can cause a crash on take off?

I wonder what the threat christmas tree is also leaving out? LIke, landing gear? Bingo fuel? Pull up?

Caution, main breaker? How does that jet even roll without that being reset?

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
That is Nellis, 20 DEC 2004.

On 20 December 2004, at 2340Z/1540 local time, the Mishap Aircraft (MA), F/A-22, Serial Number 00-4014, crashed on initial takeoff from Nellis AFB. The Mishap Pilot (MP), assigned to the 422nd Test and Evaluation Squadron, Nellis AFB, ejected safely and sustained only minor injuries. There were no other casualties. The MA impacted the Nellis AFB airfield and was destroyed. The only other damage was also to government property including an arresting cable, a runway sign, a runway light, and the runway
surface.

Immediately upon leaving the ground, the MA began a series of un-commanded and progressively more violent yaw, roll, and pitch transients. Unable to control the aircraft, the MP ejected seconds before the MA impacted the ground.

The Accident Investigation Board President detennined the cause of the mishap, supported by clear and convincing evidence, was an inoperative Flight Control System, resulting from a power interruption, which made the MA uncontrollable. The MP was unaware of this condition because he did not perfonn an Initiate Built in Test (IBIT), the only means of detecting the problem. Failure to perfonn the IBIT was the result of ambiguous Technical Orders and a mistaken belief in continuous RSA power availability.

During the mishap sequence, the MP started engines, perfomled an IBIT, and had a fully functioning Flight Control System. Subsequently, the MP shut down engines to allow maintenance personnel to service the Stored Energy System. During engine shut down, the MA's Auxiliary Power System (APU) was running. The MP believed the APU provided continuous power to the Flight Control System, and therefore another IBIT after engine restart was unnecessary. This belief was based on academic training, technical data system description, and was shared by most F/A-22 personnel interviewed during the investigation.

In fact, the MA's Flight Control System did experience a brief power interruption during the engine shut down sequence. The interruption produced an unforeseen catastrophic Flight Control System failure that rendered the MA un-flyable.

PDF: Exec Summary
edit on 11-10-2014 by _Del_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Perhaps it's the tactical side of it. He'd have to light up his system to achieve the lock which, in turn, sets off all kinds of alarms in the Raptor, et al, in other words, suicide......

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

In the case of Syria, it's probably more that government forces have been told to sit on their hands.

I'm guessing their radar sites are pretty active though, collecting whatever information they can.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

A Raptor is beyond tempting to a missile battery and I'm surprised no one has shot yet.

You mean Assad, right? Cool cucumber. He knows that would kick things off in a major way. if he is to go down history will record that he did not give the aggressors the excuse they were looking for. That he was never the aggressor.

Of course this may change if those Turkish (NATO) tanks troll across the Syrian border. Then its gloves off.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: _Del_

Thanks that explains it pretty well. The jet is not aerodynamic enough to maintain trim during flight without the computer.

Stealth has tradeoffs. Besides being visible in daylight, I mean.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Perhaps it's the tactical side of it. .., in other words, suicide......

Assad also knows that they are weakening his internal enemies. Why not let his enemies fight each other? It's embarrassing, and probably infuriating, that your sovereignty is being flaunted, but strategically it makes good sense to use the time to solidify your holdings.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Assad felt that it was a good idea to let ISIS distract his enemies too..

Worked out well

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join