It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airport workers striking due Ebola scare

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Can't blame them, they were hired to clean plane cabins, not be our first line of defense against ebola.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw
Your mom sounds like mine (she won't wear a seatbelt). Now that winter is coming (insert Game of Thrones music here), my gloves and scarf won't attract attention from the wardrobe police.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Hotel workers located near international airline hubs trafficked by citizens from infected countries will likely be the next to consider striking, If they're smart. Toilets, soiled bed sheets, towels...The possibilities for exposure to such obvious contaminants are endless.
edit on 9-10-2014 by bludragin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
It sounds as if the corporate profits are being held as more important than the health of the global population. Not surprising.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Good. Just good.

Funny how we only seem to unite against a common threat (real or even perceived), eh?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
My husband has to fly later this month...so...GOD BLESS these strikers!

And, just to support their concerns:

edition.cnn.com...

COSTELLO: Mary, do you envision a time in the near future, maybe if we see another Ebola case, let's say in Boston or some other city in the United States, that the travel ban, or at least a partial ban, might be implemented?

MARY SCHIAVO, CNN AVIATION ANALYST: Well, absolutely. And it's just a matter of common sense. We see people in moon suits telling us not to worry and fly the world. But what they don't understand is the nature of an aircraft. And let me draw a parallel to the ambulance in Texas. The ambulance in Texas took this gentleman to the hospital who has Ebola. The ambulance is then taken out of service and they are scrubbing the school where these five little children went, in moon suits, to take any precautions. You cannot do that to an aircraft. An aircraft is a $350 million flying computer, and there's no way to disinfect the seats, there's no way to disinfect the bathrooms and you're forgetting about the people who work in the belly of the plane, who load it, who service it. It is a trajectory through which the virus can be transported and you can't clean it. And that's the problem, an aircraft is not an ambulance, and you just can't do that.

COSTELLO: So what are you suggesting, Mary? Should there be some sort of ban or a partial ban be put into place?

SCHIAVO: Yes. Absolutely, and it should be a ban on the aircraft. We should suspend service to those infected areas. Yes, people can still travel to Brussels and travel to the United States, but it's not possible for us to contain it on the aircraft. You're focusing on the people and I think we need to focus on the actual service providing instruments, the aircraft, the services, the things that go on the aircraft. So, yes, I think a ban is in place and it should have been put in place long ago. Like I said, they're standing there in moon suits telling us it's OK to get on the plane. It's not. No common sense.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

We were told that the loss of profit to the airlines and business would be horrendous were the airports to close or decline flights from certain infected countries.

I suspect its not stupidity as you think, but more greed over stupidity - but a stupid act no matter what the motive not to look after the means of this disease spreading to mass populations.
"

Choosing greed over the health and safety of those that you were specifically elected to protect is indeed.... stupid. Taxpayers pay exhorbitant amounts of money to fund certain entities to give us advice on how to stay safe, how to help prevent pandemics, etc. To ignore that for the love of profit is indeed... The epitome of stupidity IMO.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   

We had this convo in our house. Or should I say argument?

What is a salary worth? Your life?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

We had this convo in our house. Or should I say argument?

What is a salary worth? Your life?

No salary is worth that IMO. Obviously there are some that would disagree. I actually hope this catches on and spreads to all of the other airlines to the point of crippling them so somebody will do something. I can not believe (still) that we are allowing flights in and out of hot zones with nothing but someone's word, a thermometer, a hope, and a prayer.

In my mind, that surpasses ludicrous and goes into a whole other level that hasn't even been named yet.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

We put off any bottom line decision about flying until seven days 'til the flight - just for familial peace..

It will be an epic fight, I'm sure. Don't care, I will win.

I swear, it's like a big game of chicken we are playing,worldwide. I feel for these workers - who will call BS and flinch first? The CEOs who fly private jets or the workers on the front-line, most likely to get exposed?

This may be a tipping point for workers vs. management and companies would do well to pay heed.
edit on 10/9/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Apparently, the CNN Aviation Analyst interviewed here agrees that international flights to infected countries should be banned. edition.cnn.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: bludragin
Apparently, the CNN Aviation Analyst interviewed here agrees that international flights to infected countries should be banned. edition.cnn.com...

The flights haven't been banned yet. Holy sh.. stupidity at its best I guess.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Conditions for airplane workers must be bad after the economic collapse. I can't say that I blame em.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
It sounds as if the corporate profits are being held as more important than the health of the global population. Not surprising.

My thoughts exactly, though, I'm really not surprised either.
Greed trumps everything on this planet, even the planet's health.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Unless the airline workers are wearing what these workers in this Ebola documentary are wearing, I don't blame them for striking. At all.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 13-10-2014 by bludragin because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join