It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion is fundamentally misunderstood

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Religious texts are fundamentally, meaning from our basis of understanding, misunderstood. Their portrayed stories, experiences, affirmations, and commandments are not intended to be interpreted as laws, regulations or condemnation but in truth are intended to be how-to manuals for those interested in discovering, as an individual, the existence of The Creator. As a manual these religious books portray the supernatural experiences of seekers of God. By imitating and re-enacting the portrayed experiences of these religious figures (by following their morals and commandments) we ourselves may come to have similar supernatural experiences and possibly even interact with The Creator Himself and further, due to the intricate details recorded in religious books we may use such information to compare and further understand our own experiences when they do occur so as to prevent delusion.

Humans in essence are a species of imitators due to our minds habitual nature, as consequence we tend to create a global-mental-bubble through interaction and the sharing of ideals. Over vast periods of time, which we call Ages or Great Cycles, we become ensnared by our own ignorance of the societal consequences that come to pass as our habitual nature tends to refine our Reality to a limited set of ideals that manifest in the form of governments and institutions. As consequence of refining accepted beliefs about our Reality we lose the ability to adapt to the always changing nature and environment of our planet. When the clash of our ideals meets the forces of nature we experience a collapse of civilization followed by a period of reforming our accepted beliefs, another age of enlightenment if you would.

As Ages end we as a society come to a bottle-neck in societal operations which results in the collapse of its habitually accepted beliefs as well as societies very structure. This can be witnessed as a reoccurring theme throughout history. This occurs because at large we are ignorant of our true purpose in life, because if we really knew what we are and why we are here we would instantaneously destroy the ability for our mind to entrap us in limited beliefs.

This is where religious texts find their value. If people are truly going to understand the importance of religion they have to accept that they are limited in their understanding of the human condition and as consequence become blinded by igorance and limited beliefs. The only way to overcome a habitual belief is to experience the truth of its matter because the only way to validate truth is by experiencing it personally. This is the purpose of religious texts.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
They're inner meanings and metaphors.

www.spiritofthescripture.com...

Its about achieving Higher Mind.
edit on 8-10-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: EviLCHiMP

The only way to overcome a habitual belief is to experience the truth of its matter because the only way to validate truth is by experiencing it personally. This is the purpose of religious texts.

The milk of the word. The meat of the word is about spiritual awareness, no longer fettered by the written word. A spiritual awakening from within, a path that the writers of these texts found to give them the wisdom to write those texts.

Of course over epochs, translation and sometimes intentional misleading, the word has become sullied. Even more reason to seek the kingdom within.

You aren't going to learn from the disciples how they learned it, thats impossible. They would slap you for continually seeking the truth in a book.

How are you to learn anything more without graduating from religion 101?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Any idea how we experience torture death and resurrection from reading a book? Is it just in our imagination, or is everything in the book simply a symbol of something else? If that's the case, then throw the book away. Who can claim with authority that they know what the symbols mean? No one.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Exactly my point. Inner understandings are formed through experiencing the divine. Higher mind manifests as consequence of the personal experiences we individually acquire by imitating the morals and practicing the commandments (guidelines to live by that produce supernatueal phenomena) spoken of by religious figures.

There is a fine line between intellectually comprehending a creator and actually experiencing its true essence and existence. Historical religion attests to what happens when someone only intellectuallizes a teaching that is rather meant to be exercised to stimulate an experience which further stimulates an inner understanding (revelation). To logically deduce religious understandings has the error of being relative to the intellectual level of the thinker and is therefore reduced to the interpretation that their limited understanding restricts them to. This leaves too much room for error, which if we look at history religions have been misconstrued to promote violence and war as a reflection of the agenda of the ones promoting the conflict.

We must live our lives in a modern adaptation of the way the great sages of all religions lived theirs in order to re-produce the circumstances that led to their supernatural experiences of which are recorded in every religious text in the world.
edit on 8-10-2014 by EviLCHiMP because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: EviLCHiMP

"To logically deduce religious understandings has the error of being relative to the intellectual level of the thinker and is therefore reduced to the interpretation that their limited understanding restricts them to."

I laughed a little. In other words, if you're smart you can't use intelligence to understand a plagiarized 3,000 year old book? You have to be stupid to understand what faith is? Interestingly enough...religion does appear to be upheld more so by the unintelligent than by the intellectuals you claim to have limited understanding.

"...if we look at history religions have been misconstrued to promote violence and war..."

I mean come on....

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: InfinityandBeyond

Sorry to burst your bubble but almost every great mind was a man of faith and studies the bible. Mr smarty pants.

Your ego is getting in the way of your heart.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Religion and politics have certain magic to make regular people jab at each others throats. Very hard to actually listen to a person's point of view when speaking on such matter without injecting an automatic bias response. Although I do not follow this particular religion, I understand what you are saying and it is actually refreshingly potent. I think all religious texts (notice the I think part) is a symbolic representation of our inability to understand the sacred and mysterious. That is not to say that through symbology, it is inherently mythological. Mythology in my opinion is a loaded word that is used in a dismissive sense.

Myth in the true sense of the word teaches us something in life that a regular tale/story or a non fiction account cannot reach. Same as with metaphor and parables. When poetry is broken down into a coherent and logical/linear format the magic is lost. Most people assign myth to be synonymous with fairy tale, which is further broken down to falsity, or not rooted in reality. This is not the case. I applaud you for having the courage to express your views in such an open forum in which many people lie in the wake for the sole purpose of dissecting it. But that is a fear based response on their own insecurities on what they believe to be reality and by "debunking" they reassure themselves of their given belief platform (whether from a different spiritual view or through a materialistic point of view).

Although I do not necessarily agree with all the points you made, I do understand you, and I do see your view of that particular religion as refreshing (as I said before). I wish there were more in your belief system that saw it that way.
edit on 8-10-2014 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-10-2014 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: bitsforbytes
a reply to: InfinityandBeyond

Sorry to burst your bubble but almost every great mind was a man of faith and studies the bible. Mr smarty pants.

Your ego is getting in the way of your heart.

You're familiar with every great mind and most of them were men? You're familiar with everything they studied and that included the Bible? Did they do so voluntarily? How did they take that which they found in the Bible? Did they take it as the literal word of God? The rantings of mad men? How do you know any of this?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

Example isaac Newton, studied the bible in secret. Read his journal. A scientific mind never relies on someone else for a conclusion he does the work and makes up his own mind. Faith is a personal thing, do you really believe that billions of human through out history have devoted all this time and energy towards something that some say is so empty? Nothing new under the sun my friend. Please it will take time to study something of this amplitude, you will realize that these stories are precious and are worthy of your time.
edit on 9-10-2014 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: bitsforbytes

Heres the thing about the billions believe this thing quote- children are imitators and sponges. History is ripe with forced conversions into that religion added to which is the destruction of their original beliefs (wiped off the planet at the threat of death). People have babies. Put two and two together.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Chewingonmushrooms
I think we are where we are today because people held such beliefs. Those who would force others are obviously ignoring the message these religions hold.

Funny today i know of hundreds of people who live in a free country and continue to practice these religions. Not all were forced, many wilfully converted.

You think you are the only one with an education? Who has critically analyses scripture? You are not bringing about anything new. If their would be a world wide vote on who is the ultimate authority, God would win hands down.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: bitsforbytes

And I don't necessarily disagree on that. The problem lies in identifying what God is, and if those that believe one particular view of God being the loudest. I too believe in God, but my interpretation is probably different from yours. I accept that, but most, because of certain things written in their scripture, would not accept that of me. And some (like current day fundamentalist muslims) would kill me for it. No one holds a monopoly on what God is, and the sooner people realize this the sooner they will coexist peacefully.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I think things will only get worst. People will be steeped yet again in false beliefs and those who are balanced will be ignored. After all scripture says so and it looks like this is what awaits us.

If I may suggest that you continue to study what the Father is and what he is about and share what you know with others. Extremists will always exist and we should not fear them. Do not let extremists dictate your actions or reactions, that is how they will guide you towards their path, we must show them and others otherwise.

We must discuss our differences and correct what is wrong with our definitions.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I think things will only get worst. People will be steeped yet again in false beliefs and those who are balanced will be ignored. After all scripture says so and it looks like this is what awaits us.

If I may suggest that you continue to study what the Father is and what he is about and share what you know with others. Extremists will always exist and we should not fear them. Do not let extremists dictate your actions or reactions, that is how they will guide you towards their path, we must show them and others otherwise.

We must discuss our differences and correct what is wrong with our definitions.

True enough my brother, we are all in the search for truth, justice and love. May God guide us in this world of madness

edit on 9-10-2014 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-10-2014 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Example isaac Newton, studied the bible in secret. Read his journal. A scientific mind never relies on someone else for a conclusion he does the work and makes up his own mind. Faith is a personal thing, do you really believe that billions of human through out history have devoted all this time and energy towards something that some say is so empty? Nothing new under the sun my friend. Please it will take time to study something of this amplitude, you will realize that these stories are precious and are worthy of your time.

You said EVERY great mind and it turned out that you were able to name only one. You conveniently ignored my question about your claim that all great minds were those of men. You also ignored my question about how these people reacted to the Bible. Not everyone who reads it takes it as you do. You've also made the false assumption that I have not read the Bible. Has it occurred to you that there are other texts equally worth reading?

Furthermore, the OP is confusing religion with texts. Texts are not religion.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I said almost every not every alone.

They took time to read it which is what is required to form an opinion, which is what is important. Some call it bunk other don't.

You are right there are other interesting readings that exist, they I say the contrary?

I am sorry if I assumed you haven't read the Bible or any scripture, here is what I can offer: have you rad any scripture?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I said almost every not every alone.

They took time to read it which is what is required to form an opinion, which is what is important. Some call it bunk other don't.

You are right there are other interesting readings that exist, they I say the contrary?

I am sorry if I assumed you haven't read the Bible or any scripture, here is what I can offer: have you rad any scripture?

Reread my post.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Here is a list of great minds that studied the Bible
More sources

The lists I provided are some of the most reputable scientists of the past, who created all the fundamental math, physics of today. The very fact that these men believed in God and took time to study the bible is more than what people today do. People today just dismissively reject it claiming it is bunk because someone else said so. They cling to science and turn away from the Father, all their science was thought by men who were believers.

Anyways, this doesn't seem to be the case with you. Be well my brother.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Here is a list of great minds that studied the Bible
More sources

The lists I provided are some of the most reputable scientists of the past, who created all the fundamental math, physics of today. The very fact that these men believed in God and took time to study the bible is more than what people today do. People today just dismissively reject it claiming it is bunk because someone else said so. They cling to science and turn away from the Father, all their science was thought by men who were believers.

Anyways, this doesn't seem to be the case with you. Be well my brother.

Your link lists Einstein, who stated that he was an atheist. So much for your source. You fail to understand that reading the Bible does not mean that one believes it. You also fail to understand that throughout much of history there was a huge price to pay for stating that one was a non-believer or saying anything contrary to the Bible. Apparently, you're unaware of the substantial contributions to mathematics of Babylonians, Egyptians, Greeks, Chinese, and Arabs, etc., none of whom likely believed in your Bible. You also seem to hold to the notion that the world consists only of men. I guess that's not surprising considering your devotion to an anti-woman patriarchal religion.

I've read the Bible but that doesn't mean that I take it as anything other than a garbled collection of ancient Middle Eastern myths. When you can cite testable evidence proving that your god exists I'll reconsider my position.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join