It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prime Minister Harper announces plans for Canada to perform airstrikes against ISIS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

On Friday, Prime Minister Stephen Harper spoke in the House of Commons to unveil his government’s plan to send up to six CF-18 fighters, one refueling tanker and two surveillance aircrafts to join several other countries in the U.S. led airstrikes over Iraq.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

While our Dear Leader (yes, this is sarcasm) is asking for support from the other parties for this next move and even though he can pretty much do as he pleases while having a majority, I'd like to know what you guys think about this decision.

Personally, after watching parts of his House of Commons speech, (gotta love it when he asks with a sarcastic smile to put election times aside while supporting this decision), even though I can't stand the guy, I have to admit that embracing the coalition against ISIS is the right thing to do. Problem is, I don't think he's doing this because it is the right thing to do but to slowly gather electoral favoritism.

Of course, the Liberals denounce the decision - another election strategy; and the NDP is playing both sides, not supporting the motion but willing to expand humanitarian aid.

As a Canadian, I'd like to hear from you, what do you think of this?

Non-Canadians, I'd like to hear from you too. What do you think?

6 Fighters, 2 Reconnaissance planes, 1 refueling plane...most probably will be based in Kuwait. Air attacks to follow...

Opinions, please.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
It is called Blood Lust!

The wanting to be one of the boys in on the kill.

To be a big bad boy.

Usually a sign of an under achieving ego.

Bit like Beebs really.

P

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

So if I understand you correctly, he is putting this motion forward not because it is the right thing to do but instead to be part of the Big Boy's Club and inflate his personal ego?

You might be right.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: SonoftheSun

So if I understand you correctly, he is putting this motion forward not because it is the right thing to do but instead to be part of the Big Boy's Club and inflate his personal ego?

You might be right.

Well, it is just the right amount of aircraft to say "We were there!" and not enough to make a huge difference.

It is a show of solidarity to show support for another US led "We will do whatever we want."

This should have been approved by the UN security Council but that group is an abject failure and always will be because it is run by countries that do not care for world peace and world peace was supposed to be their one principled task.

It is a huge cost and basically, I assume, the US will probably supply the expensive bombs.

Everybody makes heaps of money from munitions sales and as a big bonus, Toyota get free advertising and make money replacing cars destroyed by bombs and missiles worth much much more than the vehicles being destroyed,

Its a win win for everyone.

P

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: SonoftheSun

…send up to six CF-18 fighters, one refueling tanker and two surveillance aircrafts to join several other countries in the U.S. led airstrikes over Iraq.

Read that-- As a member of NATO we need to participate (as little as possible). Who's dumb idea was it to bomb Iraq again anyway?

Mr Prime Minister, its a ruse… the real goal? Assad must go.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Well, it is just the right amount of aircraft to say "We were there!" and not enough to make a huge difference.

My thoughts exactly. Yet, Australia has done pretty much the same..

Four Royal Australian Air Force F/A-18F Super Hornets, a KC-30A Multi-Role Tanker Transport refuelling aircraft, and an E-7A Wedgetail Early Warning and Control Aircraft took to the air Thursday before Australia announced the move.

Australia in anti-ISIS flights over Iraq, will join airstrikes

Much ado about nothing ?

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Whatever happens I hope the Kurds finally get a small patch of dirt they can call home for themselves out of all of this.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Mr Prime Minister, its a ruse… the real goal? Assad must go.

Did anyone say "can of worms" ?

Syria. Great country. Unless you are a foreign aid worker. Then you can kiss your head goodbye.

Politics, politics..

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: SonoftheSun

Did anyone say "can of worms" ?

You did, lol.

Seems the Great Coalition is scraping the barrel this time.

But we swear, pounding our head against the middle eastern wall will work, this time.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
What I think? I think your country has been infiltrated by war-mongers who will use you in their many war mongering schemes to oust leaders like Assad and ultimately attack Iran. Almost every country has lined up to destroy the enemies of Israel. Sorry, but that's what I think.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
its a sleezy move that appeals to a portion of the religious right, the only people other than ISIS and Israeli gov't who can justify the deaths of civilians for a greater ideological cause.

Harper will be gone soon, only then can Canadians reclaim political values that once existed in this country

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
You know, I am still reeling from the Paul Calandra show, the one intended to make us feel like real goyim. Harper is just too much of a US-Isreal lackey and we are being fed so much propaganda about this or that new terrorist group. The more I hear, the more I want to say let the Sunni and Shia sort out their differences, it just is not our dogfight. It is very much at the forefront of Israeli minds though, and that is the sole reason we keep being involved, imho.

I did listen to the announcement and when the word Syria was pronounced in Harper's declaration, I knew we were done for. Because if Canadian planes are to integrate into the US sorties cohesively as a team, and they said they want to do that, then how can we avoid going to Syria when the US does? No matter what Harper says, I'm just not buying this maneuver. He is electioneering.

War is not something we get into without serious reflection and discussion, period. I would be willing to allow my children to join up only after Harper sends his own 18-yr old son Ben to the front, and that includes all MPs who voted for the motion.

You know, all MPs except for Elizabeth May voted in the house to leave the munitions depots in Libya after we pulled out(she confirmed it on TV yesterday) and we all know how that ended up. We now have seen how ISIS grabbed the stuff left behind (how convenient for them, eh, Mossad?) in Iraq, so to say this war is about ISIS only is a fabrication that only the truly gullible will buy into.

Sorry to have turned this into a rant, but hey, you brought it up.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

No problems with ranting...

He is electioneering.

Yes he is. He could not care less about ISIS if it did not have an electoral value. Trudeau is also playing the political cord and Mulcair...sigh...

This country is not about to get any better anytime soon. ISIS is just a decoy. My opinion.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I liked it better when canada was more of a diplomatic and peacekeeping country personally. But I am antiwar, and most people who seen me post enough here know that by now.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

You and me both TKDRL. There isn't a Canadian I know who identifies with the new image that Harper is trying to portray of us all. We were proud of our image once upon a time, but we just don't recognize the current one.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Too bad our warmongering leader doesn't see this, sigh....:

"Green party Leader Elizabeth May also voiced her opposition to a combat mission, arguing that provoking a military response is a precisely what Islamic extremists want to fuel hatred for western nations.

"What kind of barbaric terrorist organization beheads westerners and puts it on YouTube unless their exact goal is to get us to do what we are now doing and engage militarily in the region?"

new topics

top topics

join