It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Pearl Harbor Day Occurred 63 Years Ago Today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
On this date, December 7, 1941, Japan launched a surprise air and sea attack on Pearl Harbor. The Pacific Fleet was crippled with the USS Arizona destroyed and the USS Oklahoma capsized. Nearly 2400 men died and more than a thousand were wounded. Fortunately, for America the aircraft carriers were not in port. This day marked the entrance of the US into World War II.

www.eurekareporter.com
It was 63 years ago, on the morning of Dec. 7, 1941, that planes and midget submarines of the Imperial Japanese Navy issued a surprise attack on the United States under the commandment of the Vice Admiral Chuichi Nagumo.

�This surprise attack is also known as the Bombing of Pearl Harbor and the Battle of Pearl Harbor but, most commonly, the Attack on Pearl Harbor or simply Pearl Harbor,� according to Wikipedia, the free Web-based encyclopedia at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page. �This attack bought the United States into World War II.�

It was at the fateful hour of 6 a.m. on Dec. 7, 1941, that six Japanese aircraft carriers launched a first wave of 181 planes composed of torpedo bombers, dive-bombers, horizontal bombers and fighters, according to Wikipedia.

The Japanese hit American ships and military installations shortly before 8 a.m., Wikipedia states.

They attacked military airfields at the same time they hit the fleet anchored in Pearl Harbor. Overall, 12 ships of the U.S. Pacific Fleet were sunk or breached and nine were damaged; aircraft losses were 164 destroyed and 159 damaged; American dead numbered 2,388, according to the U.S. Parks Service�s Web site.

That figure included 48 civilians killed, and there were 1,178 military and civilian wounded, Wikipedia states.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

When I left home this morning I noticed that no one here had noted the arrival of Pearl Harbor Day. When I returned home this evening, I noted that still the day had gone unnoticed. Let us remember this day that not only brought the United States into WWII but also ushered in a new era of social and economic change that reverberate through out the world to this day.

Related News Links:
www.sacbee.com
www.delawareonline.com
www.nctimes.com
www.ccdemo.info

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
xmb.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
This was the first thing I thought of when I woke today. My father joined the Navy three days after Pearl Harbor, he was under age and his parents had to sign him up. Patriotism was at an all time high. He always spoke of December 7th in a passionate, yet sad way. I always say a silent prayer to all the people who lost so much that day and the years that followed!

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
We should never forget the men and women who were lost on that day.

My father called me from Pearl this afternoon - he and my mother attended services there today He said it was quite a moving experience - the protocol, the attention to every detail. But he said the best part of his day was spent listening to the Veterans tell their stories, where they were, what they did, the men they knew who died that day or later in the conflict.

This got me thinking about all of the history that will be lost when these Veterans are gone. It is a shame that more of their stories have not been preserved for future generations to reflect upon.

We should never forget.

B.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Most people of that generation can still remeber what they were doing when they heard the announcemnts over thier radios that Pearl Harbor had been attacked and that the U.S. was in effect at a state of war.

For my grandparents this was much more that a glossy movie with good effects or a chapter in a history book, this was real and it shook thier very lives and altered them in ways they would have never dreamed of.

For every generations there is an event that hits us to our core. For most boomers it was the Kennedy assasinations, For generation X and Y it was 911 (it really hit everybody, but we will all remeber that day)

To the men of the Arizona and the others that gave thier lives in the attack on Pearl Harbor and indeed WW II, a gratefull nation thanks you for your scrafice.

ATTENTION ON DECK:

TAPS:
Day is done,
gone the sun,
From the hills,
from the lake,
From the skies.
All is well,
safely rest,
God is nigh.

Go to sleep,
peaceful sleep,
May the soldier
or sailor,
God keep.
On the land
or the deep,
Safe in sleep.

Love, good night,
Must thou go,
When the day,
And the night
Need thee so?
All is well.
Speedeth all
To their rest.

Fades the light;
And afar
Goeth day,
And the stars
Shineth bright,
Fare thee well;
Day has gone,
Night is on.

Thanks and praise,
For our days,
'Neath the sun,
Neath the stars,
'Neath the sky,
As we go,
This we know,
God is nigh.
www.wingtop3.org...

[edit on 12/8/04 by FredT]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Thanks for those words FredT.
I never knew then until now. I knew the tune of course, but never the words.

new topics

top topics

join