It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My bi polar thanks Prozac! I feel like ME!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I have bi polar 1 disorder and have my entire life. I knew something was wrong in high school but kept it to myself but then as I became an adult and was on my own it was obvious I wasn't "normal."

I had mood swings and highs without any drugs involved. My biggest high was from shopping. I would spend all my money on clothes and then when the high wore off I had buyers remorse and would return most of what I bought.

I dealt with this my entire adult life and for years couldn't get any real help. Mental health is a joke in my state. I remember talking to someone at the local facility here and this person didn't even look at me. We were not in an office but outside and this person just looked around and never paid attention to me.

I called various hotlines and didn't have the greatest experiences with them either. I did treat my bi piolar and mood swings with something I can't discuss on here which sucks but it is what it is. So when I had no other means of treatment I had to learn how to deal with my outburst and highs and lows. It has not been easy but when you can't get help you kind of have to make do and deal. I've always been told I'm a strong person and I've been through a lot of crap in my life but each thing has made me stronger.

I did about 8 yrs or so ago go on Seroquel as part of a study. I was a lab rat basically. I got free meds and I was paid. It helped to an extent but I gained 50lbs in a month, which did not help with the depression! I did have my moods stabilize but I was someone else. It's hard to explain. I wasn't really me. I did things I would never had done before. It was like I felt invincible. I stopped taking it and started the cycle over again.

I tried various meds after that like lithium and other anti depressants but they all made me feel like crap. Well about two months ago I was given Prozac. I didn't mind it because it's been around forever and I had this DNA test done that tells you what types of meds work for you and what ones you should stay away from. It's all based on your DNA. Funny enough Seroquel was one I shouldn't have been on BUT Prozac was perfectly fine.

It's been two months and I have not felt this good in I don't know how long. I don't get upset or feel depressed. I want to get out and do things. Everyone always just assumes I'm happy go lucky but I assure you I wasn't. It was a big battle and I hid it well. Those who knew me could tell but most could not.

I feel like my mind is back to what one would consider normal. I have had no side effects, yay! I do have some weird vivid dreams but that's not unusual for me so it's not a big deal.

I credit everything to my doctor and she's not even a doctor. She is an ARNP but she is the FIRST person in my life to EVER really listen to me when it comes to my mental health. She doesn't believe in over medicating and had given me herbal remedies for other ailments. She listens to me and doesn't dismiss anything I say. I was seeing a psychiatrist but all she did was talk about meds for an hour and charge me $30 twice a week. I remember telling HER about the meds and she commented on how well I knew the meds. It was annoying that she was reading in a book and I was using my brain. I have researched bi polar my entire life. I had never been given Prozac but it never came up for bi polar. IMO doctors prescribe meds for the wrong things. I'm sorry but one medication shouldn't be used to treat insomnia, anxiety, depression and ADHD! It amazes me how one pill can be prescribed for so many different things. I knew someone who was given accurate for depression! It's for cystic acne!! I know I took it. I also had a friend whose 11 year old step son was given Seroquel. It was nuts.

I think everyone should have the DNA test I had. The few meds I had been given were not good for me which could explain the reactions I had yet Prozac I have had none.

Sorry to go on and on lol but ATS is like my second home and it's because of this forum and many people I've made friends with on here that I've survived through the things I have. I also came out of my shell due to this site in many ways. I no longer see my bi polar as bad but it's me. I'm not ashamed either. I have met some wonderful people on here who have been there for me when those who I thought were my closest friends just ignored or dropped me. I won't mention names but they should know who they are. Thank you all.

So I just wanted to share my break through that is something I've fought years to find.

Don't ever give up!
edit on 9/29/2014 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/29/2014 by mblahnikluver because: Dumb autocorrect

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

I'm really glad to see that you are feeling better

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
While I am glad you are feeling more like yourself again, I would like to give you some advice, take it how you will. I started taking Prozac several years ago for depression and anxiety issues. At first I felt incredible(after about 1-2 weeks after the medication kicked in). I felt like myself, it vastly improved my sexual performance!!!! I thought it was a miracle drug. After several months of taking it, the side effects started to kick in. The medicine did not feel like it was working anymore, I was not sleeping most of the time, but sometimes I could do nothing but sleep. I slowly started noticing changes in my attitude, and a great loss of feelings or compassion. I talked to the Dr. and they upped my dose to 60mg from 30. No change really. Long story short, I soon lost my insurance and also my Prozac. You are supposed to ween off of it but instead went cold turkey. Big mistake!! Point is, when you DO stop taking it, definitely ween off with a Dr.s help. I also advise that you do not plan on taking it longer than 6-8 months. Prozac(fluoxetine) has fluoride in it, hence the (fluo) in the name. It is definitely NOT something that is good for you, especially long term. Again, I am so happy to hear that it is working for you, just please use extreme caution and do some research into the long term effects of fluoride and prozac.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Fluoride is a highly toxic substance. Consider, for example, the poison warning that the FDA now requires on all fluoride toothpastes sold in the U.S. or the tens of millions of people throughout China and India who now suffer serious crippling bone diseases from drinking water with elevated levels of fluoride.

In terms of acute toxicity (i.e., the dose that can cause immediate toxic consequences), fluoride is more toxic than lead, but slightly less toxic than arsenic. This is why fluoride has long been used in rodenticides and pesticides to kill pests like rats and insects. It is also why accidents involving over-ingestion of fluoridated dental products–including fluoride gels, fluoride supplements, and fluoridated water–can cause serious poisoning incidents, including death.

The debate today, however, is not about fluoride’s acute toxicity, but its chronic toxicity (i.e., the dose of fluoride that if regularly consumed over an extended period of time can cause adverse effects).

edit on 29-9-2014 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
www.infiniteunknown.net...

Fluorides are a key ingredient of Prozac and many other psychiatric drugs. Prozac, scientific name Fluoxetine, is 94% fluoride.Sodium Fluoride is one of the basic ingredients in both PROZAC (FLUoxetene Hydrochloride)& Sarin Nerve Gas (Isopropyl-Methyl-Phosphoryl FLUORIDE) -The same Sarin Nerve Gas that terrorists released on a crowded Japanese subway train!).Sodium Fluoride is nothing more(or less)than a hazardous waste by-product of nuclear and aluminum industries.It’s the primary ingredient in rat,cockroach poisons,anesthetic,hypnotic & psychiatric drugs,NERVE GAS! It is added to toothpastes & drinking water.

edit on 29-9-2014 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Glad to hear it!

I had a bout with my depression over the weekend

It had started earlier in the week, but I let slide because I was too busy...and It happened. My antidepressant almost killed me twice. Seizures. Did a little dose of Seroquel years ago. Dreams were awful and it gave me headaches probably because it messes with the glands so much it causes blood sugar to go out of whack. I had a great neurologist/psychiatrist but he no longer accepts my insurance and I live an hour and a half away with no transportation (for about a month).

I hope it works permanently. I remember that feeling of being "normal" and how good it was. You didn't have to worry about unexplainably crying over the quality of bacon at the grocery store because it was a metaphor for your life...

Universe watch over you...now, if your back pain and insomnia can improve...

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
It is a great feeling to find a doctor who actually listens to what you say. I thought all doctors were the "hurry up, next patient" type until I recently changed to a new family doc. She listens, asks questions that are not simply routine, sees you again within 3 days of a new long term prescription to see any immediate side effects and then sees you again within 1-2 months to check up on progress. She will also always call you back within an hour or two if you have any questions that you call in about.

So, congrats on feeling better and finding someone who listens - just finding that one who listens is always a great experience and, imho, helps the healing process.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Mblahn, you are a friendly face on ATS, and I always admire your straight-out, from the heart posts. I'm glad you've found something that works for you. Can you please enlighten me with more info. on what it feels like to be bipolar? I want to be more understanding to a family member who is undiagnosed but almost certainly afflicted.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: thesmokingman

I agree with you, after 6 months or more I was sleeping too much, thoughts of suicide, over thinking.

My drs had me taking at once prozac, lithium, and seriquil( however the spelling as a high risk Bi-polar patient ). I was a mess. After 10 years of being told what to take, I went to many doctors and told me that I had no such thing as depression of any sort.

I got of meds for a year....... The result of a dumbing down and nothing but destruction in my life I became extremely successful. Let me explain. Since I was a child going through sexual, verbal, and physical abuse I was fed meds when they became popular and my parents not wanting to be parents, did 100% of what doctors wanted. Ruined my life!

When I was off of all of the meds, I obtained a full time job, part time job, attended college with a 3.7 gpa, two degrees, doing very well. After my almost marriage I went downhill again. Getting better with nothing but exercise, and natural remedies these days.

Sometimes all it takes is being busy, eating better, and working out. IMO the meds they give out like candy from a strange are for the people who wan to get a happy result without having to produce a healthier lifestyle.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I am glad this helped you. I just hope that some day, we can help some of these issues without medication.
I wish more people would speak up and let people know how piss poor our mental health system is. I firmly believe that some of the mass shootings could be avoided with better care and better recognition of issues.

And I don't mean to say everyone with mental issues is violent, just that some of the violent ones could have been helped with a better system.

I tend to think almost everyone has some mental problems. Some environments make it easier to mask it or pretend it's not there. I know I seem to suffer from depression when my $ run really short. (only half joking there)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
I know I seem to suffer from depression when my $ run really short. (only half joking there)

Strained circumstances exacerbate our mental issues. You are not alone, there. I've seen people transform under duress; some in good ways, some well, not so much. I'm normally polite to a fault, but let me skip a meal or two and it's Wrath of Godzilla time.

It seems as though we're all environmentally poisoned. Even though I mostly eat organic foods and filter my drinking water, I'm sure that I'm living in a toxic environment that is taking its toll, despite my efforts. And, one of the most horrific effects of this poisonous pool we're swimming in is its erosion of our mental health.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

YES! YES! YES!

Just opened my heart to hear such good news about a Member who I have ALWAYS respected and enjoyed.

Like a sigh of relief for you honey...

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: graceunderpressure

Yep, If I miss a few bites, I can be quite the peckerhead I am told. That kind of solidifies my belief that we all have some issues, some handle things differently than others.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AK907ICECOLD
a reply to: thesmokingman

I agree with you, after 6 months or more I was sleeping too much, thoughts of suicide, over thinking.

My drs had me taking at once prozac, lithium, and seriquil( however the spelling as a high risk Bi-polar patient ). I was a mess. After 10 years of being told what to take, I went to many doctors and told me that I had no such thing as depression of any sort.

I got of meds for a year....... The result of a dumbing down and nothing but destruction in my life I became extremely successful. Let me explain. Since I was a child going through sexual, verbal, and physical abuse I was fed meds when they became popular and my parents not wanting to be parents, did 100% of what doctors wanted. Ruined my life!

When I was off of all of the meds, I obtained a full time job, part time job, attended college with a 3.7 gpa, two degrees, doing very well. After my almost marriage I went downhill again. Getting better with nothing but exercise, and natural remedies these days.

Sometimes all it takes is being busy, eating better, and working out. IMO the meds they give out like candy from a strange are for the people who wan to get a happy result without having to produce a healthier lifestyle.

I agree and good job getting off of the meds! I have been off ALL meds for about three years. While I stil have some struggles,like you said a lot of it is changing you diet/lifestyle, it really does help. People must understand, that these meds actually change the way your brain chemicals interact, and too much meds can cause issues in the long term. One of the reasons I got off them too was that I felt reliant upon them to function, and NOBODY should need a pill to help them function.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Got off the lifelong depression meds (Prozac was my first) many years ago and changed my entire lifestyle, and that worked for me beautifully. For myself, anti-depressants never had the drastic affect that a change in diet, exercise, sunshine, social/lifestyle changes did. I don't trust these pills, never did, and certainly not the companies who make them and sell them. I think part of the process is also self-examination, which imho is better without the assistance of artificial drugs, made by people who don't even know what exactly causes these ills to begin with. This is just my opinion. Modern lifestyles and the many social issues we go through can unfortunately be conducive to depression and discontent. Like anything in life, it takes work. Many can't or don't want to do the work. They want a magic pill to do all the work. The struggles of life build character. I would never go back and change the years I went through depression. I had to go through that to get to where I'm at today.

Glad to see you're feeling better, and it's working for you, but I think you can do better than pharmaceuticals. Diet can change the mood, energy, and ones behavior in amazing ways alone.
edit on 29-9-2014 by Calalini because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AK907ICECOLD

I'm sorry but bi polar disorder is a disease if you will. Working out and eating right will not make it go away because if that were the case I wouldn't need meds.

I don't like medication period but for my bi polar I need it until the one thing that I can't discuss on here is legalized, that works but it's not legal in my state.

Bi polar is a real disorder or disease, call it what you want, and those with it need treatment. It's a chemical imbalance in the brain. I have been off of meds for years and I did not like myself and now I have a son to think of and take care of.

If I feel any kind of effects later on I will discuss with my doctor and if I need to be off it then we will go there.

I also know many people who have used Prozac successfully for years and I also know people who had issues with it.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

You are lucky to have good doctors where i live in the u.k they are rubbish you cannot get medication for pain,Mental health issues are way beyond these doctors we have .

2 years ago my mother told me my father has bi - polar and i should get checked for it as i can be a bit Jekyll and hide , 2 years and i am still waiting for that appointment .

When i touch m j it is like putting blinkers on a horse it makes me depressed things go grey round the edges and drink is a no no for me only took 20 odd years for me to figure it out MR happy turns into MR scary very quickly on Alcohol with the other i go very very quiet and do not want to go out .

I just got my appointment today for the pain clinic for sciatica on November 19th after waiting 7 weeks for it /no meds /no government help nada ,the runner Mo Farah gets sciatica and got a helicopter to hospital

I have been asking for a cortisone injection for 4 years for my back and shoulder still waiting , lucky for you you do not stay in the u.k

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Bipolar and BPD here Blah, Depakote and Wellbutrin has worked for me the last 5 years.
Prozac made me hear voices

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
While I am not bi=polar, I have suffered sever depression several times in my adulthood and Prozac did wonders for me. (Paxil and Wellbutrin were awful for me). I think that prescribed correctly, it is a great medication.
I am so happy you found something that works so well for you.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

I'm really glad to see that you are feeling better

~Tenth

Thank you

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join