It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mt saint helens???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

Thanks. Mt. St. Helens is absolutely the most observed volcano as it is the only active volcano that has erupted on the mainland (Hawaii, of course, being in a constant state practically but offshore). They were able to give ample warning, iirc, before the original 1980 eruption that was so incredibly devastating. Those that died in that eruption were either one's that didn't pull out fast enough or had opted to stay. The difference in devastation between that huge eruption and anything that might occur right now is going to be pretty huge. I used to go fishing out at Spirit Lake and Spirit Lake was no more along with massive areas of forestland, ash clogged rivers and much, much more. The power and amount of debris from that blast were in part due to St. Helens' very long silence.

My mother sent me a picture of the 2006? eruption as I was living in Arizona at the time. She said it was just like a mild burp and nothing in comparison to that first eruption experienced. It'll probably be another burp. I think the big thing about Ontake is that the eruption couldn't be predicted despite all of Japan's advanced early warning systems. This is why I don't go skiing! lol I'll take my volcanoes as a beautiful view on the horizon and not a place to explore.

<< 1   >>

join