It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Have a Blessed Day"? No thanks....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
So over the past year or so there has been a groundswell in the states about people telling me to "Have a Blessed Day" and people who I know that are religious and use Facebook still to have their status as "Blessed" with an emoticon with a halo on it. Also there is a subset of people that are no longer "Lucky" or "Fortunate" apparently...they are "Blessed" when things go there way.

Here are some basic Facts about what a Christian Blessing is

www.biblestudytools.com...

Basically

1) It means that you are in a "Favored Status" with god
2) Because of #1 god is going to give you money and success

Blessing people is an Evangelical Christian action, where people feel as if they have been given the ability by god to act as an agent for him and bestow things like salvation (this applies in the Catholicism as well) and blessings. While 78ish% of Americans still self identify as Christians, a growing majority of Christians only self identify Culturally and don't attend church and even fewer are "Convictional" christians who feel it is there duty to talk about god and bless people and such.

www.christianitytoday.com...

Here is my thing.

I DON'T BELIEVE IN YOUR GOD!!!! When you bless me you are assuming

A) I believe in your god
B) Want His Blessing
C) Believe that he has given you the ability to confer at least the desire for this blessing

The arrogance of Christians to believe that we all buy into their stories and accept their beliefs and blessings as something tangeable enough to actually be a part of normal every day communication is mind blowing. That being said, in your own home and in public if you want to tell me have a blessed day that's fine...its your right. BUT PEOPLE ARE DOING THIS AT WORK AND IN WORK EMAILS!!

Am I totally off base when I assert that these "Blessers" actually believe that they have the ability to bless me and that by simply saying it to me they are performing some kind of Ritual? I HAVE NO DESIRE TO BE A PART OF YOUR RITUAL AND BELIEF SYSTEM!!. If it is simply them espousing their faith, why do they do this...to show "The Man" that they are part of the team.

I would like

1) One person who says "Have a Blessed Day" at ABTS to explain why this is done and why I shouldn't be offended
2) One person who agrees with me to help me come up with a good response that shows I don't accept their religious blessing, but that is not overly offense. Something like "I'm not accepting Blessings, but I'll try to take it easy!"

This Blessing thing bothers me so much, someone talk me down before I go off on the next "Blesser" please...
edit on 25-9-2014 by Nowyouseeme because: blessing

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Nowyouseeme

I would like 1) One person who says "Have a Blessed Day" at ABTS to explain why this is done and why I shouldn't be offended

It could be done because person saying it truly loves you and wants you to have a good day. That all depends on the individual saying it.

You shouldn't be offended because it isn't offensive. If they said screw you and your mother is ugly, now that is offensive.

edit on b000000302014-09-25T11:49:40-05:0011America/ChicagoThu, 25 Sep 2014 11:49:40 -05001100000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I live in the bible belt, so that's quite common around these parts and it used to bother me a little, but now I consider it much like saying "bless you" when someone sneezes. (Even though I always say "bless you" when someone sneezes lol) It's just a common courtesy, like have a nice day or be well, that has no religious meaning at all to me.

If everyone in this world stopped being so offended at stupid stuff like this, we'd all live happier. When someone comes into your home and says, "You better have a blessed day or I'll kill you," then you can be mad.

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

It must suck to get so angry over something so petty, especially considering it's not even an insult.

Have a blessed day.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Well bless your heart, you seem upset.

Just ignore it man. It's not a battle worth fighting. If anything, you should be fighting for peoples right to say bless you.

Have a blessed day!

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: kx12x

Have a blessed day.

Nice touch!

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Ok, "Have a crappy day!".

Feel better?

Wiccans use the term "Blessed" also.

I'll take any good fortune someone wants to throw my way, regardless of what they believe in.........

edit on 25-9-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

If you dont believe in it, then why does it bother you.........

Im usually not bothered at all by things I dont believe in, especially if someone is just trying to be nice....

Double if it has nothing to do with you......so what if they feel "blessed" , I find it highly narcissistic that youre offended that someone feels happy, and how they choose to express that bothers you.

Perhaps you need to do some introspection if things that you dont believe in are bothering you so much......
edit on 9/25/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
My favorite is when I hear people use,"have a blessed day" rather than just using a curse. It's hilarious. We all know what they really mean. Why bother?!
edit on 25-9-2014 by Iamthatbish because: predict a text totally winning

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
My favorite is when I hear people use,"have a blessed day" rather than just using a curse. It's hilarious. We all know what they really mean. Why bother?!

If is around my kids, I would rather that they bother.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: kx12x

Have a blessed day.

Nice touch!

LoL I caught that as well

what kind of person do you have to be inside to be upset at someone elses happiness

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I also prefer to think that I have more personal control over my day rather than leaving it up to the whims of some mystical force.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

response : " have a gay day " .

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
I also prefer to think that I have more personal control over my day rather than leaving it up to the whims of some mystical force.

and thats fine too........

But are you offended when others say they feel blessed? Or wish you a blessed day?

There is a difference between having your own beliefs and being upset with others

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Hold on a minute! WAIT JUST A DAMN MINUTE!
... The OP has a valid point. Here's why.

When I was a holy roller, I can't count the times xtians would get offended(and correct) people who called them lucky, or god forbid, said "May Allah bless you." or any other saying that doesn't fit their belief.
Yet it's okay if they assume everyone else believes as they do.
Double standard much?
edit on 9/25/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

I'll take any help I can get! No one is saying you don't "control" your life. Nice way to twist it though.

Just as no one can prove any God/Goddesses exist, neither can anyone prove they don't.

I prefer the "freedom" approach when it comes to what people choose to believe in versus the "totalitarian" approach....
edit on 25-9-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

When I was a holy roller, I can't count the times xtians would get offended(and correct) people who called them lucky, or god forbid, said "May Allah bless you." or any other saying that doesn't fit their belief.
Double standard much?

Two wrongs don't make a right!

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

This is the thing, I truly don't believe that people who have to prove their joy by expressing it to others is truly happy.

For instance, I know I'm a male. It's evident and apparent and I don't need to prove it. Now if I doubted I was a man and felt the need to show everybody, I'd tell people. Or better yet I'd come up with a saying "This man is wishing you a good day!". I actually think those people who are trying to bless me feel as if they are putting on a show for their deity.

I don't begrudge others happyness, if you are happy that's great...I'm a happy person. I do get annoyed when people put you in a situation to acknowledge their faith and beliefs when you don't share those beliefs and attempt to bring you into their reality.

Maybe it shouldn't bother me, I'll give some thought as to why when others say things directed towards me that don't affect me that I disagree with...I am pissed. It is probably a statement on my ability to accept others shortcomings (and my own).

That being said, if I went around all day and said

'Have an evil day!" "May the dark one bestow all upon you" or even "Allah wishes you a nice lunch!" at work...I would be talked to. But this "Blessing" thing seems to be all the rage and accepted and I just don't get it.

edit on 25-9-2014 by Nowyouseeme because: excessive blessings

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963
Agreed. But the OP still has a valid point, though only because of the double standard. Personally, I'll take that blessing.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Double standard much?

No its stupidity...........

Im Christian and im not bothered if someone says Praise Allah or Allah bless you, or Vishnu be with you or anything else.....I look at it as a well wishing towards me......

Why would I be offended by that?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join