It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New poll shows 1 in 4 Americans Open to Secession

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
www.reuters.com...

Some 23.9 percent of Americans polled from Aug. 23 through Sept. 16 said they strongly supported or tended to support the idea of their state breaking away, while 53.3 percent of the 8,952 respondents strongly opposed or tended to oppose the notion. The urge to sever ties with Washington cuts across party lines and regions, though Republicans and residents of rural Western states are generally warmer to the idea than Democrats and Northeasterners, according to the poll.

I have lived in two states now where talk of secession was rampant among the people:
A heavily Republican state: Texas
A heavily Democratic state: Hawaii

I am interested in your (rational and unemotional) responses to the question:

Are you for secession for your state, why or why not?

After people have responded for awhile, I'll chime in, but I am most interested in what you have to say.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

While I would not have an issue with Texas seceding, I would think that smaller/poorer states would have problems. They do not have the wherewithal to support themselves.

Texas is large enough, has enough people, jobs and resources to make their case for self-rule. I live in Texas and if it seceded, I would not move.

Something for all to consider... the grass is seldom really greener on the other side.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

The effects of the Scottish vote in the era of global 24-7 instant communication will quickly spread all over earth.

I hope it will cause a mass decentralization of power in English speaking countries and hope for places like Catalunya, at-least we gave the Scots the choice to vote!

Viva democracy, viva the people, viva the UK

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I really do not see any state leaving the union (and as been brought up before, technically there is no way for any state to leave the union "legally". It's sort of like the song Hotel California - "You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave.")

I think what most people want is not to really leave the Union, but to have the federal government stop interfering with their lives and local affairs.

I love my country. Can't stand my federal government. What was suppose to be a something to help keep us united and work for us, has turned into this monster that tries to dictate every single aspect of our lives.

I think if we had less of that, you would not see any support at all of any state to leave the union.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
I have lived in two states now where talk of secession was rampant among the people:
A heavily Republican state: Texas
A heavily Democratic state: Hawaii

How ironic, I just mentioned this very issue right before that article and your thread on one of the Scotland threads and mentioned those two states specifically ... Texas for its Constitution, Hawaii for the U.S. illegal annexation.

I would support getting back to a more State's rights grounding before I would secession, but if it came down to the latter, I would probably be there. I am from Montana and we are all about being left alone and to our own devices ... although we would be importing a lot of goods.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   

The same conditions are present currently that were current at the time folks were debating over dumping the Articles of Confederations for the more Central Power friendly Constitution.

Folks didn't trust a strong central government and these days with so much disregard for the constitution by the federal branches folks are naturally returning to anti-federal positions.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   

+16 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
To me The chance of leaving one corrupt system full of corrupt officials to start another corrupt system full of corrupt officials needs to be addressed. How can we get The politicians out of politics??

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

I am pro secession because I feel it gives countries less power. People are much different from one region to another where certain things are more or less important to them. In the US federal laws seem to constantly wipe out State laws. Id imagine it is similar in other countries.

I for some time lived in a smaller country and could not believe how proud they were. If someone was famous everyone knew the exact city they came from. It was interesting and it made me feel closer to the people. Smaller countries would have less money to spend on war which means more would be for defense instead of offensive operations.

I wouldn't mind seeing quite a few places adopt this option as long as it was their choice.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
let the red states go, they're the ones sucking out all the federal tax dollars from the blue states. they are also the ones that complain the loudest about taxes, all the while getting the biggest share. screw them...they're the ones that are still pissed off about losing the civil war...now they can have the chance to bring back slavery, outlaw abortions and women's rights, deport anyone that isn't white or a slave, and form a Christian nation run by the bible.

Texas should make a corridor to their northern border with free transport if they leave lol. So the real sucking of all the federal tax dollars can carry on.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
no place to run, no place to hide anymore.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

The US needs to be split into three. One for the Republicans, one for the Democrats, and one for the Libertarians.

I have nothing but hatred for anyone but Libertarians. You people are not my countrymen.

link   
a reply to: Bilk22

I dunno

If any State wants to leave the Union more power to them. I think Hawaii might be the most obvious. Just imagine how high the price of eggs, milk and gasoline would skyrocket if and when they did.

link   

originally posted by: rustydog
To me The chance of leaving one corrupt system full of corrupt officials to start another corrupt system full of corrupt officials needs to be addressed. How can we get The politicians out of politics??

correct, that pretty much is the truth.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I wish the democrats could have a country of their own, and the republicans could have a country of theirs.

link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

I am pro secession because I feel it gives countries less power.

So

You support Ukrainian secession from the Soviet Union - Russia I mean, fight for its sovereignty?
edit on 19-9-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
link   

I vote to have Washington DC secede from the union!

Show of hands?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join