It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swearing' Barbie doll shocks mum as it blurts out ''What the [snip]?''

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Beware: Barbie in this video says CUSS WORDS (What the f***)

Uummm... I can't think of any alternative phrase this could be.... can you?

If I had bought this for my child I would be outraged. Totally unacceptable.

UPDATE: I found the story which clarifies the mistaken phrase

But the Barbie, whose phrases include "Amaze" and "I love a make-over", is actually saying, "Off the hook".

Toymaker Mattel said the dolls are for children to "enjoy and trust".

'It had to go'
Other phrases it says include "There is no substitute for glitter" and "To the salon".

BBC News
edit on 17-9-2014 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Sep 17 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: snipped f*** from title

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Oh no, the poor child's virgin ears, they are destined to grow up to be a drug addicted prostitute now, peddling tricks for their next fix while singing, what thaaaa faaaaaach.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: tinker9917

It sounds to me like she's saying "off the hook". Then again I've never been much of a Barbie fan and now that my own daughter is grown I'm out of the loop when it comes to acceptable kids show lingo these days.

Penny

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I heard "off the hook".

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
No reflection on you, tinker, but the video was just nonsensically ignorant. Who in their right mind would even think that whoever makes this doll would design it to say such a thing.

On second thought, it was probably not so much the content of the video as the content of the title that was important . People make these videos and put them up on youtube in the hopes that they will generate enough pageviews to sell advertising . The video was lame but it's the title that draws people in to watch the video

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Who would be offended by this?

Seriously... Who?

Adults in the world need to grow the hell up and stop creating problems where there are none. We have enough real problems to deal with, without having this kind of Next Level BullS***™

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I think mum needs to get some new hearing aids. Or her mind out of the gutter. Or both.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Well it is super superficial already. While it is not actually saying WTF it can be heard as you wish.

I think its very important to not let kids curse until they do so on their own. My first curse was "shut up". My dad insisted I say it to my sister. I never looked back. I was a sailor mouthed little kid.

I remember the feeling. SIN. LOL

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I think alot of it is power of suggestion. When I first heard the video, I heard WTF... but after I found the story with the explanation, I now hear "off the hook"

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Barbie need's to go to rehab , dirty little skank she is

barbie has history

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5
Barbie need's to go to rehab , dirty little skank she is

barbie has history

Ever see the movie "Toy Soldiers"? These little dolls are very deceitful...

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
You need to know something about kids. They're not all rainbows and lollipops. Yes they will be taught and know it's not right to swear or cuss in front of parents and adults, but in the school playground you can bet your bottom dollar that they are all like F this and F that.

Would I buy a swearing Barbie for a small child though? No, probably not. Because my household is no swearing especially if there are kids in the house.

But I guess everyone's different. Some parents are more relaxed with their kids behaviour.

Edit: I see it says off the hook, haha

edit on 17-9-2014 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DAZ21

EXACTLY. Alot of trouble would be brewin' for the kids and the parents when the young child starts sayin' that at preschool or elementary school.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Yea even though it says off the hook, because it's not very clear, the kids would probably just imitate the sounds, which would probably sound something like WTF haha.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

A friend was laughing at me for just seeing shrek last christmas . i will put it on the list to watch

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Who cares? They learn how to swear from their friends and parents anyway.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5

A friend was laughing at me for just seeing shrek last christmas . i will put it on the list to watch

Great movie... ya gotta see it!

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Oh pffft, this sounds like "off the hook". Nice try on the video maker's part, but shocker FAIL.

Back in the early 2000's, I had a little Furby that had a suspicious vocab. I'm fairly sure it was supposed to be saying "Hug Me", but it sure sounded like "F me" to me & everyone else who heard it. It was a great laugh, but still, not intentionally dirty. At least I don't think it was intentional, it just sounded bad with the muffled speaker internally & the Furby voice.

< sigh > I miss F Me Furby. I wish I still had him, he was like a foolproof parlor trick.
edit on 9/17/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Nevermind, not worth the trouble when it's obvious miscommunication. I'll just clarify the offending post.
edit on 9/17/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join