It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bicyclist are the new scourge of the earth

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
They just put in a bicycle lane near my place and I have seen bicyclists ignore it and drive on the other side, or cut across the road without looking, etc. But I keep my eyes on them when I'm in the car passing . Kids are bad, adults can be just as bad as well.

However, I will ride my bicycle in good weather to the store or someplace within a few miles from home. I always ride in the extreme right hand side where the pavement meets the shoulder and will get over further to allow cars to pass me. I look everywhere before I make a turn or whatever. I'm super careful and give cars the right of way regardless of the Michigan law that says I'm a pedestrian and have the right of way in every instance. If I ever get hit by a car, I will get a lawyer and the law would be on my side.

I believe bicycling is good exercise and fun, but a bit dangerous, esp. at night. Most people however, don't seem to take it very seriously when they hop on a bike.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
The thing that I don't get is their choice of roads. Where I am suburbs/country the roads are tight and winding and I hear about a cyclist getting killed every few months, seems ignorant to me. The ones that drive me crazy are the joggers that run on the road when there's a perfectly good sidewalk 3 feet away.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

What irks me out here is not that there are people that ride their bikes in the road, but that most of the ones I've come across have the "I want my cake, and the ability to eat it too" mentality. For example, one bicyclist constantly blows the red lights in the area. Point is - when you ride in the road you are considered a car, which means you have to obey the same rules as a car. Which means, in short, you can't blow a light - if I did that, I'd get a lovely ticket.

The way I see it, as a biker myself, the sidewalk is far more safer. Why? I'll give you another example. On my way coming home from work, I got stuck behind a biker in a left turn lane. Now, I don't always pay attention, but I gave him room (while grudging to myself), and I see that in the middle of his turn, his gear slipped. Now, had he landed his bike, and I not given him any room, he'd be a goner. If the same thing happened on the sidewalk, at least he'd land on the grass, be able to dust himself off, and go on his way.

And it might be a bit ignorant, but there's a reason they don't allow bikes on the highway or freeway - you are putting yourself at risk because you are a "slow" moving vehicle; if you cannot go within 10mph of the speed limit, on a known busy stretch of road, then you have a death wish.

-fossilera

PS: I agree with the statement to remember, there are those of us that have jobs to get to; what happens when we come across a car going well below the speed limit? We pass it up. Don't be surprised if we pass you up either, because you are now a car.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: fossilera
a reply to: American-philosopher

The way I see it, as a biker myself, the sidewalk is far more safer.

What about Chicago, massive city of 3 million where it is illegal to bike on a sidewalk unless you are younger than 12?

I mean I get it. I drive and bike...both sides can be quite the pain...I am just saying many towns, suburbs and cities have made this illegal

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

You are right. We aren't supposed to Cycle on the pavements as that is hazardous to the walking Pedestrian.

Don't get me wrong, I Cycle in the Cycle lanes as that is what they are for and I'm happy for them. Those who venture out of the Cycle Lane are only asking for trouble.

But I digress... when a Cycle Lane ends and there are people walking on the pavement, we have to continue on the road until the Cycle Lane begins again.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

I wouldn't know a thing about how the major cities are (my comment was more or less observations from where I live), but if you ever visit MI, you should see how crazy some of us drivers are; if it came down to it, you'd probably stick to the sidewalks, although even there it isn't safe. And despite the fact that I consider them a pain in my front when they have to ride in the road during the morning rush hour, they still have a bit of honor in my book; it takes a lot of gut to ride the roads here.

Also, up here there really isn't a law about who can ride their bikes on the sidewalk; in the smaller towns I'll dismount and walk the bike; do it on the side of the road too, because at least I don't have people flicking me off for holding traffic up. Only time I actually ride in the Street? when the speed limit is at most 15mph, because I can crank my bike to about 10.
-foss

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
they are the scourge of the earth

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join