It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Developing Mysterious Hovering Plane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Looks sexy.

The Pentagon wants a plane that can attain incredibly fast speeds while also possessing the ability to hover. The experimental Phantom Swift X-Plane will fulfill that role, and now Boeing has secured a $9 million to continue work it started roughly one year ago.

The idea for the aircraft, which resulted from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency’s (DARPA) VTOL X-Plane competition in 2013, will eventually be powered by an all-electric drive and measure 13 meters nose to tail and 15 meters from wingtip to wingtip, the military blog Defense Tech reported Aug. 28. The finished product is also expected to weight between 10,000 to 12,000 pounds.

The agency did not specify whether the aircraft was to be manned or unmanned, but all entrants opted for unmanned platforms. However, there is potential for the full-scale Phantom Swift to be manned, and Boeing officials have said that they envisage a whole family of platforms based on the design.

How fast are incredibly fast speeds and anyone know anything more about the all electric drive? What would the primary mission of this kind of platform be? I can certainly see a lot of uses. How high can something like this be expected to hover? When can I have one?

Link

Link
edit on 0220140920141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 0220140920141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
It looks like some kind of kit you'd buy at a hobby store...

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   
they had these in dune2000 years ago.

I wants the spice.. gimme the spice...

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
delete

edit on 3-9-2014 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I take it Stealth wasn't in the Memo.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
BTW, I started a thread on this last week:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry Domo1.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Im surprised they when for props due to the air being far thinner at those attitudes, i would have thought jet engines would be better.

The air force has had a dual prop plane for ages,the Tiltrotor.

It does look like a little model plane like mentioned before, but still very sleek and sexy.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
All the torque of a rotor at the end of a wing? Oh well I uess they know what they are doing.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Yeah, but that was last week and appears to have gone off topic about submarines and rail guns

we have a very short attention span here on ATS

What I like the best that I learned from that OLD thread was how quickly they took the concept and had built a working scaled demonstration model
Soon with the new quick manufacting processes brought to us by 3-D printing, concepts can be built so fast its awesome!

Things are moving quickly

edit on 3-9-2014 by Xcouncil=wisdom because: to add some snarky to post

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
wow, five feet off the ground, with propellers....freakin' amazing!!!!...what a breakthrough!!!....geez,(rolls eyes)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Props are just as efficient anymore. Years ago there was an open rotor concept with an aft mounted pusher prop that had a top speed just slightly less than a turbofan of similar size, and was within 5% on fuel burn.
edit on 9/3/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

It's called a concept for a reason.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Kind of looks a little bit like the V-22 Osprey, but sleeker and with the ducted fan things on the wings. It could work, the Osprey works.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

Looks sexy.

The Pentagon wants a plane that can attain incredibly fast speeds while also possessing the ability to hover. The experimental Phantom Swift X-Plane will fulfill that role, and now Boeing has secured a $9 million to continue work it started roughly one year ago.

The idea for the aircraft, which resulted from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency’s (DARPA) VTOL X-Plane competition in 2013, will eventually be powered by an all-electric drive and measure 13 meters nose to tail and 15 meters from wingtip to wingtip, the military blog Defense Tech reported Aug. 28. The finished product is also expected to weight between 10,000 to 12,000 pounds.

The agency did not specify whether the aircraft was to be manned or unmanned, but all entrants opted for unmanned platforms. However, there is potential for the full-scale Phantom Swift to be manned, and Boeing officials have said that they envisage a whole family of platforms based on the design.

How fast are incredibly fast speeds and anyone know anything more about the all electric drive? What would the primary mission of this kind of platform be? I can certainly see a lot of uses. How high can something like this be expected to hover? When can I have one?

Link

Link

This is the junk that they waste taxpayers money on. Hell, i can make one of those. Pizza factory can deliver pizza's to your door with one of these on a smaller scale. They just want more drones that they can put machine guns on, drop bombs,launch rockets and watch you on moving camera's. Just like on the movie terminator,star wars. MOVING PLATFORMS, so big brother can spy on you. Pretty soon they'll have moving platforms that fly in the air and carry terminator robots to hunt you down, so that you work for free in the labor camps. Then the robot will ask you. I need to scan your tatoo and put this on your record, now get back to work and don't run off again. I'M going to report this to the MAN.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcouncil=wisdom

The off topic conversations in the Aircraft Projects forums are where you get all the juicy information
I think they intelligence guys stop reading after a couple pages so the guys here start dumping the good stuff.

I agree this isn't a needed thread really no offense to Domo.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
kind of looks like the terminator jet

Terminator Hunter/Killer jet

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Please direct your comments to this ongoing thread...

DARPA awards Boeing $9M to further develop Phamtom Swift

thanks

new topics

top topics

join