It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a question for all "Hispanics" out there

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
How many of you identify with this word?

I, myself, hate it. I am what people would call "Hispanic".

First my moms family is Spanish/Greek/Jewish. My dad was Mexican/Jewish.

But because of my last name I get junk mail in my mail box all written in Spanish.

Now that's not the only reason of course.

How can we call Sammy Sosa who is black and Cameron Diaz who is white both " Hispanic"?

That word to me is like the N-Word.

It makes me cringe.

When I was in elementary school, I was placed in a bilingual class with Real Mexican kids because of my last name.

How can I be the same race as a black guy?

I look like a tanned white guy.

Just because we have spanish last names?

How can a language determine ones race?

Who made this word up?

I would like to hear from other "Hispanics" out there.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: BerenstEiner

Hispanic (Spanish: hispano, hispánico, Portuguese: hispânico, Galician: hispánico, Basque: hispaniar, Catalan: hispà)[1][2] is an ethnonym that denotes a relationship to Spain or, in some definitions, to ancient Roman Hispania, which roughly comprised the Iberian Peninsula including the contemporary states of Andorra, Portugal, and Spain and the Crown Colony or British Overseas Territories of Gibraltar.[3][4][5] Today, organizations in the United States use the term as a broad catchall to refer to persons with a historical and cultural relationship either with Spain, or with Spain and Portugal, regardless of race.[6][7] The U.S. Census Bureau defines the ethnonym Hispanic or Latino to refer to "a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American (except for Brazil), or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race.",[8] and states that Hispanics or Latinos can be of any race, any ancestry, any ethnicity.[9] Generically, this limits the definition of Hispanic or Latino to people from the Caribbean, Central and South America, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race, distinctly excluding all persons of Portuguese origin.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

I hope this explains it.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Sorry, not Hispanic.
I wish we could drop the term race and go with the term 'culture'.
You are part Hispanic and were lumped in with Mexicans that couldn't speak English fluently. That is hardly fair.
My aunt taught English in high school and had black students in her classes that were born in the US, but needed to be in the class because of their lack of fluency in real English.
Highschool

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: BerenstEiner

I would like to hear from other "Hispanics" out there.

I'm not Hispanic but I was married to one for many years. Even though she was born in Lubbock Texas, she still called herself a Mexican but I spoke better Spanish than she did. She was very proud of her Hispanic heritage.

Lo que esta adentro su alma sea importante

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Hispanic is not a race. You can be a white guy with a German name and still be Hispanic. George Zimmerman, for example.

You could always change your name.

edit on 8/30/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Lets just drop all the labels, all the things that try to keep us separate. We are all in this together.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
Lets just drop all the labels, all the things that try to keep us separate. We are all in this together.

No way Jose....

I'm a "people like you" so Iv'e been told and I'm proud of it!!

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I think its like the issue of soda. Some call it pop some call it soda. I know Hispanic isn't a bad word in Southern Central part of the U.S.

"who made this word up"
-In an important sense it is the 17th-century French writer François Bernier who may be considered the founder of the modern science of race.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

It looks good on a resume and/or job application.. I started marking 'Hispanic' (Portuguese) after receiving a letter from the Governor from Ca. stating that they were no longer accepting applications from white males for the Highway Patrol. Then I had the occasion to work with 2 different Governors and mentioned it both times..

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

That word to me is like the N-Word. It makes me cringe.

Wow, I had no idea.

So what would be a better word to use instead?

Not a Hispanic here, just someone who respects them a lot.

My belief is that there is only one race: the human race.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

No way Jose....

"People like you"? Sorry could you please elaborate? I hope that you can see that with cooperation and collaboration we as a species may evolve into infinity.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

No way Jose....

"People like you"? Sorry could you please elaborate? I hope that you can see that with cooperation and collaboration we as a species may evolve into infinity.

My pleasure amigo...

In the ATS political arena mud pit or religious forums, it's a term used to marginalize and categorize the person you disagree with. It's meant as an insult. I have adopted it as a badge to thinking outside the box and now consider it a compliment.

Rest assured that those calling you a "people like you" have no interest in cooperation or collaboration!!!

caer el veinte....

edit on 30-8-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I am half Mexican and half Irish. I however look more Mexican. Well except for my height lol. I am six foot. All my cousins from the Mexican side are shorter than me. I do not see the word Hispanic as like the N word at all. But that is just me. I do not speak Spanish at all. I can understand it somewhat. But I do not speak it. I sometimes get annoyed when people try to speak Spanish to me just because how I look. But its not a big deal.

I find the word Hispanic somewhat better than Latino. So that is why I personally use it. I identify myself as Hispanic because that is how the world views me. Because I favor one side of my genes, looks wise. As a child I was excluded by some Caucasians for looking Mexican and some Hispanics for not speaking Spanish lol. I think this is a problem many mixed race children have. As much as some like to believe there is only white racism. There is some racism in all racial groups. I grew up mostly in the household of my Mexican parent. So I know how to cook all the yummy Mexican food. But besides that I just consider myself American.
edit on 30-8-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-8-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
There isn't much of that sort of culturalism here. Spain is where many go on hols or emigrate to. Spanish are just people from Spain and I guess there aren't that many here in the UK, London perhaps an exception. There are more Brazilians here than there used to be, not many Mexican. The term Hispanic isn't used much here at all.

Also a lot of people in the UK probably have Spanish ancestry given that there was a lot of influx from Spain 6000 years ago, especially in Scotland and Wales, hence the short, dark skinned, dark haired and often dark eyed British look prevalent in some places.

Perhaps that is irony that the British settlers in the USA are actually descended from Iberia.

I don't prejudge people because of their culture, though I guess even the best of us to some extent have to make judgements based on experience.

The main cultural issue here in the UK is certain aspects of Asian populations, such as extremists and child abusers though the UK was too stupid to even tackle vast offenses against vulnerable children by such men because they were afraid of being called 'racist'.

www.independent.co.uk...

A team from Oxford University has discovered that the Celts, Britain's indigenous people, are descended from a tribe of Iberian fishermen who crossed the Bay of Biscay 6,000 years ago. DNA analysis reveals they have an almost identical genetic "fingerprint" to the inhabitants of coastal regions of Spain, whose own ancestors migrated north between 4,000 and 5,000BC.

The discovery, by Bryan Sykes, professor of human genetics at Oxford University, will herald a change in scientific understanding of Britishness.

People of Celtic ancestry were thought to have descended from tribes of central Europe. Professor Sykes, who is soon to publish the first DNA map of the British Isles, said: "About 6,000 years ago Iberians developed ocean-going boats that enabled them to push up the Channel. Before they arrived, there were some human inhabitants of Britain but only a few thousand in number. These people were later subsumed into a larger Celtic tribe... The majority of people in the British Isles are actually descended from the Spanish."

Professor Sykes spent five years taking DNA samples from 10,000 volunteers in Britain and Ireland, in an effort to produce a map of our genetic roots.

Research on their "Y" chromosome, which subjects inherit from their fathers, revealed that all but a tiny percentage of the volunteers were originally descended from one of six clans who arrived in the UK in several waves of immigration prior to the Norman conquest.

The most common genetic fingerprint belongs to the Celtic clan, which Professor Sykes has called "Oisin". After that, the next most widespread originally belonged to tribes of Danish and Norse Vikings. Small numbers of today's Britons are also descended from north African, Middle Eastern and Roman clans.

These DNA "fingerprints" have enabled Professor Sykes to create the first genetic maps of the British Isles, which are analysed in Blood of the Isles, a book published this week. The maps show that Celts are most dominant in areas of Ireland, Scotland and Wales. But, contrary to popular myth, the Celtic clan is also strongly represented elsewhere in the British Isles.

"Although Celtic countries have previously thought of themselves as being genetically different from the English, this is emphatically not the case," Professor Sykes said.

"This is significant, because the idea of a separate Celtic race is deeply ingrained in our political structure, and has historically been very divisive. Culturally, the view of a separate race holds water. But from a genetic point of view, Britain is emphatically not a divided nation."

Origins of Britons

Oisin
Descended from Iberian fishermen who migrated to Britain between 4,000 and 5,000BC and now considered the UK's indigenous inhabitants.

Wodan
Second most common clan arrived from Denmark during Viking invasions in the 9th century.

Sigurd
Descended from Viking invaders who settled in the British Isles from AD 793. One of the most common clans in the Shetland Isles, and areas of north and west Scotland.

Eshu
The wave of Oisin immigration was joined by the Eshu clan, which has roots in Africa. Eshu descendants are primarily found in coastal areas.

Re
A second wave of arrivals which came from the Middle East. The Re were farmers who spread westwards across Europe.

Roman
Although the Romans ruled from AD 43 until 410, they left a tiny genetic footprint. For the first 200 years occupying forces were forbidden from marrying locally.

edit on 30-8-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I prefer Latino. I'm not Latino, I just prefer using that term.

Hispanic has always struck me as derogatory...I have no idea why...

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I have to go with the divisiveness opinion expressed earlier. If you're a Hispanic, Latino, Black, Asian, then the inescapable conclusion is that you're different from other people who aren't one of those names.

Since we conclude that the people are different, what's so wrong (as it is said) with treating them different? Different standards, different employment and educational opportunities, etc.

And no politician wants to treat any group worse than another group, so the race is on to treat each group better. Better than whom? Either than the group which is not screaming as loudly, or better than white males. Remember the State Highway Patrol example from another poster?

I don't see any good coming from it, and since politicians (and members of affected groups) have the stomach to treat people equally, I don't see how to stop it.

As an aside, I still remember the story of a young man who came to the US from South Africa. He, as many South Africans were, was white. While he was filling out the various forms, he checked the box labeled "African-American," only to be told he couldn't do that as his skin was the wrong color.

Even further aside, I was born in the United States. Fat chance I'll get away with "Native American."

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
I prefer Latino.

Both Hispanic and Latino denote regions of family origin, and they're not interchangeable. That's why I don't use either one. Being in New Mexico, there are many brown people around and it's impossible (and irrelevant to me) to tell where they're from, though most are probably Hispanic. It's a matter of political correctness in most cases, anyway. If labeling isn't necessary, I don't really understand why people do it.

The difference between Latino and Hispanic:

Latino generally refers to countries (or cultures) that were once under Roman rule. This includes Italy, France, Spain, etc. Brazilians are considered to be Latino, but are not considered to be Hispanic.
Hispanic describes cultures or countries that were once under Spanish rule (Mexico, Central America, and most South America where Spanish is the primary language).

Source

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Sounds like we are all a bunch of muts lol

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: BerenstEiner
How many of you identify with this word?

I, myself, hate it. I am what people would call "Hispanic".

I, myself, am also hispanic. I've only one real thing to say to your post.

"Waaaahhhh".

There's nothing wrong with the term "hispanic". That's the politically correct way of describing people of our culture, no different than people saying "african-american". Would you rather people call you spic??

Now yes, I know, many people wish we'd all pretend we're not different, and just claim each other as human. I, for one, think that's ridiculous. I'm not racist in regards to hating people of other ethnicities. But I guess you could call me racist for actually enjoying our differences. Hell, in many ways, I've got what some call "yellow fever", because I'm biased in my attraction of asian women.

Now, I'm also a brat, comedian, pain in the arse, etc.....so I like to joke around racially as well. All of my friends are white(and yes, we do call white people white, even my white friends do), and when I'm in the backseat, I sometimes joke that if we get pulled over, the cops will start shooting. When asked why, I tell them it's because I'm brown, in the backseat, so they'll think it's a car jacking. lol

I went off on a little tangent there, but in all honesty, there's nothing wrong with the word hispanic. I think you're just being oversensitive, like maybe a tiny part of you wishes to join in on the racial idiocy our country is being pushed towards.

Stop caring, stop giving it power, and just love life.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: kosmicjack
I prefer Latino.

Both Hispanic and Latino denote regions of family origin, and they're not interchangeable. That's why I don't use either one. Being in New Mexico, there are many brown people around and it's impossible (and irrelevant to me) to tell where they're from, though most are probably Hispanic. It's a matter of political correctness in most cases, anyway. If labeling isn't necessary, I don't really understand why people do it.

The difference between Latino and Hispanic:

Latino generally refers to countries (or cultures) that were once under Roman rule. This includes Italy, France, Spain, etc. Brazilians are considered to be Latino, but are not considered to be Hispanic.
Hispanic describes cultures or countries that were once under Spanish rule (Mexico, Central America, and most South America where Spanish is the primary language).

Source

I'm from the 505. Born and raised.

Then you should know that some of the First Families (i belong to one of them) pride themselves for being of Spanish decent and get offended if you call them Mexicans.

I think that since those families have been in New Mexico since the 1600s, they feel like they still have not been allowed to be assimilated. And catigorized with brand new people from Mexico and now Cubans is just wrong.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join