It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question popped in my mind.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
It was about allowing my children to join a military that didn't want them, so they could go fight in a war I didn't believe in.

I was thinking of the minorities who enlisted in the military during WW1. Did they enlisted because they did not give a d@@n about how awful they had it, because they though some freedoms were worth dying over?

edit on E14America/Chicago08088 by Eyemin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Eyemin

I'm betting that it was a mixed bag. Some probably joined to get away from their environment, and others probably joined to fight the good fight, while yet others had a plethora of reasons to join.

Just my opinion.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I think there was a great deal of peer pressure among the community during that era. Those that did not volunteer were made to feel like cowards and were shunned by the community.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Sorry didn`t read it right !
edit on 27-8-2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: iamea

I do not think they would of be shunned by their communities. Since towns like Rosewood "an all black community" were being established 1840's what pressures would exists. A few towns like Rosewood were also more "socially advanced" then their neighboring white towns. With better schools, homes, etc... So seeking a better environment IMO would not have led to the military, but rather to a town like Rosewood . Would you feel like a coward if you turned your back on the military if you went to enlist and your recruiter treated you like a subhuman?

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Poverty, Depression, Peer pressure, Propaganda, Promises of honor and glory. GI Joe, the real american hero. Sometimes I wonder if the reasons for this war were as the slight of hand reasons we know today, but very few are alive that will give any answer.

In today's war, we clearly know the damages outweigh the goals. As pride and polarity swallow humanity, technology becomes just so advanced to let us know the interventions we believe can help do nothing but destroy. Pride will always grip us, and technology becomes controlled by our agenda.

Our agenda dictates that the United States of America will change the world for the better. In a few years, our technology will tell us just that. It doesn't now. Keep your eyes open and do not take for granted one second this awareness we have via smartphone and camera on live feed. It won't be here much longer.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
When our kids get to eighteen and can join the service, we can't stop them if they want to join. People join the military often so they can feel they are helping to protect their people. That is not a bad thing. We should respect the people in the military, well at least the soldiers. Some of the ones at the top, like some at the top of our society, should not be respected. Notice I said some, not all.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: RodNasty

"Poverty, Depression, Peer pressure, Propaganda, Promises of honor and glory. GI Joe, the real american hero"

Look at the propaganda at the time.... The American hero is a white mans dream.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

change of mindset.. i am talking 100 years ago...

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eyemin
It was about allowing my children to join a military that didn't want them, so they could go fight in a war I didn't believe in.

I was thinking of the minorities who enlisted in the military during WW1. Did they enlisted because they did not give a d@@n about how awful they had it, because they though some freedoms were worth dying over?

I've read diaries of people from WW1 and some were quite eager to see 'action' until they were part of it. Some were willing to go back too. I think back then it was different. now? I dont know..

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Looking at the history of how former slaves and minorities in the U.S are/were treated.. some can argue that nothing has improved. Why would anyone that was treated so poorly by a country want to die for that same country.

I am from a military family, even enlisted myself. I understand the want to be apart of the greatest bad guy squashing force this planet has ever seen, to ensure the protection and safety of the people "in the free" world.

But I would not have joined, if I felt they thought I was a bad guy as well.
edit on E14America/Chicago08288 by Eyemin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   

War is to end. We will end in war... alongside your children. The real american hero then was a white man's dream, I don't have a reason it isn't still today. I am a white man though.. and my dreams are in full color. I only wish your children didn't know war. Mine as well.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

I don't know but i am getting on a bit in years, things have changed a lot in my life time. What was important then perhaps is not even considered now as important.

I had a chat to an elderly guy living a few doors away and asked him his take on it.

He said that things were bad in the years leading up to WW2, he said that young men looked for adventure, and the idea that they could be paid to go abroad was an added bonus, he said that they seemed excited.

Communities were a great deal more community minded, everyone knew everyone, as generally people did not move around as much, very few had cars, really only the rich, so definitely peer pressure was part of it. I know that they used to hand out white feathers to young men that did not volunteer.

I also agree with what RodNasty says about the promises of honor and glory.

I know even back when I was growing up, children were treated far more harshly, meaning we were made to do a great many things that are not even a part of peoples lives today because there are so many labor saving devises that take most of the hard work out of maintaining a house and home.

I am not complaining, I just things were different back then and it is very difficult to relate it from a now perspective.

edit on 52am08America/Chicagoam by iamea because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join