It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Armed Huey P. Newton Gun Activists and Black Panthers Marched Through Dallas

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Usually, we see white people marching with guns, supporting gun rights, but in response to police brutality in general and now, the Michael Brown shooting, black citizens are "up in arms" and showing their support for gun rights.

A few groups were represented in the ranks of the marchers, said Charles Goodson, an organizer of the march and head of the Huey P. Newton Gun Club, which wants people to know they have the right to own guns. Many marchers had Black Panther patches on their black fatigues. Marcher Priest DeBrazier said the Panthers were there in response to the slaying of Michael Brown by police in Ferguson, Missouri, but Goodson said the march had been planned before Brown's death August 9.

Source

I must say, it does my heart good to see this. The police need to be reigned in and the PEOPLE are the ones who are going to have to do it. We need a federal law that results in body cams on ALL police in the US.

"This is a teaching moment," DeBrazier said. "I believe that every black person should have a pistol under their pillow and a shotgun behind the door because the way things are going today, you just don't know. You got wrongful death by the police. People kicking in the wrong doors. It's really open season on minorities, black people in particular. Dead men tell no tales. If I'm a police officer and I stop you, it's my word against yours, but if I kill you, it's just my word."

Ant that's what the police are banking on. If they kill someone, the cop has the ultimate word.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
They have my support.
Black people need to be armed just as much as anyone else.
Maybe more.
edit on b000000312014-08-27T14:47:18-05:0002America/ChicagoWed, 27 Aug 2014 14:47:18 -0500200000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

The police need to be reigned in and the PEOPLE are the ones who are going to have to do it. We need a federal law that results in body cams on ALL police in the US.

Maybe that should go for all Public and Federal Agents as well.

Even IRS and even FDA etc. that may not even be "armed".

Unarmed Agents might be doing more damage than we think !!

Think what the public could learn.

And I wonder if the demonstrators were displaying real guns?

The message would be just as effective with toys that look very real, without any "Legal" issues.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

And I wonder if the demonstrators were displaying real guns?

I have 2 friends that marched in this event. I can assure you that all of the guns were very much real and all were legally obtained. So far as I know, the response from my fellow DFW residents has been positive.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
People who know my stance on guns know I am pro defense and all, but in this case I hold baited breath…

Playing into authorities arms as it were…

The woman in the passing car shouted, "Black power!" And the gun-rights advocates lined up on the sidewalk outside Forest Avenue Baptist Church on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard returned the call.

MLK would turn in his grave at the violent response suggested here.

His protests marches were passive, non violent demonstrations. The call to not return violence for violence was clear. Wonder what he thinks about this "show of force"?

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I think it is prudent for all persons who are legally able to do so, to arm themselves in these times.

Things over across the pond, are getting jolly bloody hairy by all accounts, and I believe that the situation will not improve with regard to the quality of policing in small communities, unless the police have more to fear than the citizens. And let us be clear here. An out of control police force in any location, does not just mean bad news for one side of the "racial divide". Bad policing of the poor quality that we are hearing about, is bad news for every single law abiding person.

It is on every person, black and white alike, to stand SIDE BY SIDE, and insist that their police forces behave themselves according to the letter, and the spirit of the law, as well as being transparent in their dealings with the public, and indeed their fellow officers.

There is much that is broken out there at the moment, but unless EVERY person rises up against that which threatens communities in their locality, then division will bring all to ruin for everyone. Only together can a community overcome a threat to it, whether that threat is a street gang, or a police department run amok.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

As far as I am concerned the Second Amendment does not care what color you are.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
His protests marches were passive, non violent demonstrations. The call to not return violence for violence was clear. Wonder what he thinks about this "show of force"?

Why do you consider shouting "Black Power" to be "violent" or a "show of force"? This was a NON-VIOLENT protest.

I can't help but wonder why you consider this any different than any other pro-gun rally or protest...

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Why do you consider shouting "Black Power" to be "violent" or a "show of force"? This was a NON-VIOLENT protest.

Oh, I wasn't citing the cry of black power, just the "armed parade". On "Martin Luther King" drive, in front of that church.

His call to Demonstrate would have excluded the firearms and you and me both know what would happen if those "peaceful protesters" marched into Ferguson brandishing arms.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Oh, I wasn't citing the cry of black power, just the "armed parade". On "Martin Luther King" drive, in front of that church.

His call to Demonstrate would have excluded the firearms and you and me both know what would happen if those "peaceful protesters" marched into Ferguson brandishing arms.

Just a few points I would like to make. This "parade" was planned in advance and the local police were notified of the date, time and parade route in advance. The parade was conducted in South Dallas, an overwhelmingly black neighborhood; and MLK Blvd. just happens to be the main thoroughfare through that part of Dallas.

Now, this is not the first open carry parade we have had in Dallas over the last few months. In other instances none of those paraders notified the police in advance and, in some instances, they blocked up traffic while illegally handing out pamphlets. Also, there were a number of instances in which they entered into fast food establishments and other places like Target with their firearms and, in the process of doing so, scared the hell out of the other patrons. In all of those instances, not a single one of them were arrested.

In the instance of the OP parade, I would certainly say that they were peacefully exercising their Constitutional right to bear arms. In the other instances I mention, I would say that they were not peacefully protesting, as they came across as terrorizing to many people due to their aggressive actions. If these people from the OP had done anything like those people did in those other instances, then I am certain there would have been arrests. Why? Because they are black and those other instances, well...they were white.

Now, I'm certainly not trying to race bait here, but we all know that's the truth. I've seen too much racial profiling towards my black friends be believe anything else. I must say this though, I'm proud of how my friends conducted themselves in this parade. They showed those other open carry groups how to do it correctly.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic It could be a fair fight if it were not for that whole felons can not own firearms law. Do they even have enough non felon black males that could legally take back there communities? In other words if it becomes mainstream we will see the cops just putting more people in prison that could have made a difference.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Where are all the people who were defending the right of children to use firearms in this thread. Should they not be in here applauding this parade? Stay consistent in your beliefs. Oh and before you say it. I am not a liberal who wants to take your guns away. Trying to throw you off lol. I actually support the second amendment.
edit on 27-8-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

A little too much melanin for some folks, it seems.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Good.

Anyone who is at risk for their government to take advantage of them. Be it cops, or the feds, should arm themselves. In no uncertain terms should the people let those in power know that they will not be stepped on.

Don't Tread on Me!

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

More US citizens exercising their 2nd amendment.

Don't really care what color their skin is, what religion they are or political background they get behind.

This is a good thing.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Thank you for pointing that thread out. The mistake made there is that they were "teaching" a child to shoot a gun with a freakin' automatic weapon. What the hell kind of instructor would allow that?

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Monger
A little too much melanin for some folks, it seems.

I think you will find most of the pro-Second Amendment posters on this site are fairly consistent in our support for firearms rights. I cannot think of one person who decried the armed, shop owners in Ferguson protecting their livelihood with their weapons.

Oh, by he way, I noticed that many of them had much more melanin than I do.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Right but let me add a touch of reality and truth to this OP claim that is not so accurate, the Black Panthers laid the ground work and foundation for the modern gun rights movement , they were not followers, if you study history, the Black panthers were always touting their gun rights, what happened to cause a wave of laws, of course eventually endorsed and signed off on in the District of Columbia and later backed by the Great Reagan, it was ok for Klansmen to do this sort of thing for years, but in the 60's and 70's the Black Panthers were rarely seen without armed members to mostly protect themselves against the police.

The fear they instilled when marching in Washington on some occasions was enough to get the ball rolling to start imposing carry rules, laws and ownership stipulations, that is the real skinny, the OP has a good post but this is nothing new, the Black Panthers always had backup regardless, until some people started to fear what might happen, so they commenced fashioning the backbone of many of the laws that regulate or ban guns.

NRA was pro gun control until

Excerpt from the above link

" While today’s NRA takes hardline positions against even the most modest gun control measures, this was not always the case. Throughout its history, the NRA supported gun control, including restrictions on gun ownership, and was not focused on the Second Amendment.

But the organization had a change of heart in the 1970s when the Black Panthers advocated for an individual right to bear arms. Ironically, the Panthers were the founders of the modern-day gun rights movement, which became the purview of predominantly white, rural conservatives.

The ambiguous reading of the Second Amendment notwithstanding, gun control is as old as the Republic, and the amendment was not interpreted as an absolute in the early days of the United States. There was a balance between individual rights and public safety.

For example, slaves and freed blacks were barred from gun ownership, reflecting fears that African-Americans would revolt. At the same time, the founders proscribed gun ownership to many whites, including those who would not swear their loyalty to the Revolution. And contrary to legend, the “Wild, Wild West” had the most severe gun control policies in America.

Meanwhile, the Black Codes of the post-Civil War South were designed to disempower blacks and reestablish white rule.

This included the prohibition on blacks possessing firearms—a law which was enforced by white gun owners such as the Ku Klux Klan, who terrorized black communities "

edit on 27-8-2014 by phinubian because: added more accuracy, gun rights for all

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: LeatherNLace

In Dallas especially, the street side and not the upper business class, working in the Richard's group building. You know as well as I do how white people are treated, and spoken about, you also know that white women are a prize, a game to see how many can be had; they are treated like breeding animals in, in the vast/not all majority of the lower class.You also know whitey takes on a wimpy and nerdy narrative, i could go on and on. if you dont know or are somehow unaware than you are caught up in a the rhetoric and a struggle that is self imposed, the fact is we all struggle not just one race. Anyway towards the march i support there right to brandish weapons do i agree with their cause, no not at all. I also realize if and when the KKK pulls such stunts these acts are looked upon with a critical eye. Yet to look critically at this openly racist group is somehow racist, and these are the double standards and idiocracys your post seems to support. Correct me if im wrong

also let me clarify why i went down that path you stated that from your view point you've seen large amounts of discrimination from whites towards African Americans while in my point of view i see on a vast large scale more discrimination against whites.
edit on 27-8-2014 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
Do they even have enough non felon black males that could legally take back there communities?

I can't find that figure, but while the percentage is high compared with white convicted felons, it's not an outrageous number, I'm sure. I've read that 13% of adult black males are convicted felons, whether guilty or not, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. That would leave 87% of black men and probably 98% of black women who can legally own firearms. That's a hefty group right there.

Add all the white people who support the cause (like myself) and you've got a virtual revolution.

edit on 8/27/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join