It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buying a dog, need help.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
So several months back I asked whether it was a good idea for me and my girlfriend to buy a house given the state of the economy and rumours of a major collapse.

People leant towards the "go for it" option so we did and we have now been in our house for 3 months.

We are now thinking of getting a dog. I have always wanted one but never could. My mom used to hate them and my girlfriend misses her family dog Poppy who has stayed with the rest of her family.

The thing is we have a small house and we both have jobs.

She wants a black labrador which I think is too big for the house. Neither of us want tiny dogs like a chihuahua or a shih tzu or a Jack Russel etc.

We want a dog somewhere in between. At first we agreed on a Beagle but have gone off the idea after reading about their personality. Very friendly but being hound dogs they often howl a lot at night or when left alone, and are known to run away when catching a scent. Can be stubborn and difficult to train.

We need a dog that can be left alone for about 4/5 hours without causing any trouble and is between the size of a small dog and a labrador. About the size of a Beagle

We really want to choose the right breed as we want both us and the dog to be happy

Any dog lovers here who can advise?

I'm in the UK and some dogs are difficult to get over here.
edit on 0915Sunday152014-08-24T04:15:09-05:001509 8 by Silicis n Volvo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Silicis n Volvo

If you have 24 hours a day to devote to a dog for a few weeks, go for it, otherwise, wait. Dogs require training. If they don't get that, they are a nightmare. Some dogs, you will luck out on, others, no matter what you do, they will bring entropy into your house.

If you really want another dependent, reproduce. At least that way you can claim it on your taxes. ;p

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Get one with 4 legs.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nechash

If you have 24 hours a day to devote to a dog for a few weeks, go for it, otherwise, wait. Dogs require training. If they don't get that, they are a nightmare. Some dogs, you will luck out on, others, no matter what you do, they will bring entropy into your house.

If you really want another dependent, reproduce. At least that way you can claim it on your taxes. ;p

Well I do have a lot of paid holiday left to use and no trips booked so I could take 2 weeks off when we got one.

Anyway we are talking about dogs not babies lol lets stick to the subject. Just looking for advice from anyone who knows their breeds
edit on 5707Sunday072014-08-24T05:07:57-05:000757 8 by Silicis n Volvo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   
This may help you out,
Breed selector

I used to have a Sha Pei fiercely loyal dog but he needed a lot of exercise. Damn I miss him.

Cody

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Honestly, i would focus less on breed and focus more on finding a dog that has a personality you like.

I would avoid any purebred dog and get a mutt. Purebred is basically inbred which leads to all sorts of health problems. Mutts on the other hand are generally pretty healthy, so not only will you have a healthy happy pup, but you will also avoid the insane prices from the vet.

There is plenty of documentation online that shows why purebred dogs are not only a bad idea, but borderline animal cruelty. I will never own a purebred dog because of this.

I have always said that you don't find the right dog, the right dog finds you. Check out shelters, or people that accidentally have puppies, you will come across a pup that picks you and refuses to let you go. That is the dog you want, that is the dog that will be perfect for your family. (two people are still a family imo)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   

edit on 8/24.2014 by graceunderpressure because: Oops...looks like Cody and I posted the same thing.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I Like mixed breeds with obvious terrier genetics. Smart loyal and good watch dogs.

Get two so they can keep each other company!!

edit on 24-8-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   
A good personality is a trait to look for. I have Cocker Spaniel mix that was a perfect dog. He weight 25lbs and was about 2 hands tall. Because he was part poodle he did not shed his coat. It is a good thing not to shed that way no fur to sweep /vacuum up. He was not a barker either. So my vote is for a Cocker Spaniel mix.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   

phone a shelter...there are costs involved but you save an unwanted dog.

My Bull Mastiff and Bull Terrier Cross were both 'rejects' (Zues was a fence jumper and uncontrollable and Albert had a medical issue with his front legs) anyway... both have turned out to be the best dogs around

I think the thing is when you go to a shelter and a dog warms to you... it is a sign of a special bond.

Albert (the Bull Terrier Cross) is so faithful and loyal. He has only bitten two People and he was protecting me at the time so

Zues (the Bull Mastiff) is now my Son's hunting dog.

I would get two dogs and not one... if your both working, the dog will get lonely and be 'naughty' so another dog is good company for it.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   
oh and Albert (my dog) is not a therapy dog.. but he knows when I am going to have a seizure and soon as I see him...playing dead and acting strange ... I get home asap cos he must sense when I am going to have a fit.

I walk him regularly and on two occasions he has played 'dead'; drops right down in front of me and then gets up and starts to whine and jerks the lead, yanno to get home in a hurry. I got home, both times asap and had two seizures.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Check out the pappions they are a small breed easily trained and work well in a smaller place. We have 2 of them and couldn't be happier!

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: CallYourBluff

that is a ignorant response.

I know a Person who owns a dog that has 3 legs and the clever thing sits in his side car (he has a motorbike with a sidecar) and they go out hooning about.

even with 3 legs the dog gets around no problems.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Hi. I agree with the others, let the dog pick you

Just wanted to mention.. over the years I've worked in many shelters, kennels, and vet facilities. I'm no expert but I don't think you want a Lab unless you have a BIG yard and Lots of time for vigorous outdoor adventures. They are great dogs don't get me wrong but 9 x's outta 10 they are quite energetic and somewhat hyper. They seem to really thrive on going out and doing lots of stuff. Just my .02

Cngrats on the new home and finding a special friend!

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Go with an adult dog out of a shelter or rescue and do your research well. You want a dog that is going to be low energy, and you will want to make sure that you have a way for that dog to entertain itself while you are both away. You will also want to make sure that you both devote time to spend with it exercising it and playing with it when you get home so it maintains a good balanced in its life.

You may feel like just collapsing after a hard day, but the dog has been waiting all day for you to come home to it and will be ready to go!

This is why we have cats.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
dont get a dog from a breeder, get a dog from a shelter

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
The most important thing is to ask yourself if you can give the dog proper exercise every day. And I don't mean letting him loose in a yard. I mean you go out and walk/run him so he can get tired. A tired dog is a good dog. Exercise is a MUST. Every day. Depending on the age and breed, it may be necessary twice a day. Bored dogs dig, chew up couches, eat food off the counter, destroy things while you're gone, and are generally unhappy.

Can you afford a high quality food and vet care?
Are you prepared to be consistent and train your dog from the beginning?
Do you want a dog that requires grooming?
Do you plan to have kids?
Do you want a puppy or an older dog? A puppy requires additional training.
These are all questions you need to ask yourself and PLEASE research like crazy! (I can help if you need it)
If you decide on a purebred, don't just take anything that's in your area. Find a good breeder and have the puppy shipped, if necessary. I'm in New Mexico and my GSDs are out of Oregon.

Finding a Good Breeder

A responsible breeder:

Explains in detail the potential genetic and developmental problems inherent to the breed and provides documentation that the puppy’s parents and grandparents have been professionally evaluated in an effort to breed those problems out of their puppies. (This will include testing for genetic diseases for which there are valid testing protocols available)

I LOVE a Border Collie, but they need LOTS of physical and mental stimulation. I also LOVE a Coton de Tulear, a small dog in a large dog's body.

I have adopted from the shelter and I've also bought purebred dogs (obviously). If you find a GOOD breeder (and that means a LOT of things - please research) a purebred dog can be as healthy as a mutt, though I love them both.

About my pound puppies, Cara and Mia. Mia developed osteosarcoma and we had to put her down last year. Cara has hip dysplasia VERY badly (since she was a year old) and will be leaving us soon. My GSDs are very healthy by comparison because their parents and generations before them were tested for various medical issues (one sign of a good breeder) so I knew what I was getting. You never know with a rescue. I'm not advising getting a purebred, just giving my experience. I will probably only own purebred dogs in the future. People say not to get them because their experience is probably with back yard breeders, puppy mills or hobby breeders. Don't buy from any of those. ONLY buy from a reputable breeder.

I would do all the "breed selectors" you can find on the Internet. Some will be 'off', but the more you do, the more info you'll have. Then you can look up the breeds you think you may want to get more info on them.

www.animalplanet.com...
www.iams.com...
www.puppyfinder.com...
www.dogbreedinfo.com...
selectsmart.com...

I would also join a dog forum so you can take advantage of the knowledgeable people there. That's how I found my breeder.

Most important, research, research, research!

If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Here's a good starting pointing point, it's a link to dogs that somewhat tolerate being alone. Then use the same web page to read more about each breed's temperament, activity level, etc. good luck!

dogtime.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Dog breeds

Sorry I'm on my phone so I don't think the link posted properly. Just google dogs that do well alone. I'll try to fix the link when I get home

edit on 24-8-2014 by MojaveBurning because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I guarentee your house is bigger than my apartment and my 125lb Rottweiler (see avatar) does just fine. You just need to be Able I exercise any dog.
I used to work at a shelter taking care of and training the dogs there. Let me tell you, some of the best dogs I've ever met were there, I'm actually going there to visit some in a little bit. Give them a shot, or get a French Bulldog!

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: MDpvc

You make a great point. A large dog can do just fine in a small place IF they get good exercise and training. I LOVE a Rottie!

To the OP: I also wanted to mention the idea of a breed rescue or purebred rescue. Some rescue organizations only take in a certain breed or mix of that breed. If you decide on a breed, you might look into that.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join