It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctor Who: New Season

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
This is my one TV vice. I absolutely love this series.
The new season starts tonight with Peter Capaldi as The Doctor.
So all you ATS Whovians, get your sonic screwdrivers and popcorn ready!

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I love dr. Who. Can't wait for the new series.

a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Just set my DVR. I can't wait to see it.
I figured I'd also check out that show "Intruders" which is on right after. Might be good. Might be bad.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Since i was a lad i have also shared a love for the Doctor Who episodes. I recommend downloading the ebooks.

edit on 23-8-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Waits for the americans to turn up and complain about the lack of guns
as we all know you cant have action without 100 tones of lead flying every episode

anyway its soon time for the timey whimey wibbly wobbley fun to begin

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
Waits for the americans to turn up and complain about the lack of guns
as we all know you cant have action without 100 tones of lead flying every episode

anyway its soon time for the timey whimey wibbly wobbley fun to begin

That made me laugh because i'm American

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Darn you Englishers! I was gonna see if i could watch it in the theatres Monday. I'd watch it at home like the rest of you, but my dad had the bright idea to cancel our satellite!

I better not see any spoilers, or else Time Lord Ash is going to get medieval! Maybe early renaissance...

Love an American Doctor Who fan and host of Doctor Who Art Review

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Yes but David Tennant was my favorite and its never been the same since. I don't like this new turn at all.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Awesome, been waiting a long time.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Oh my daughter is waaaaay excited to see the new doctor in action tonight. Of course no one can compete with her favorite Dr. -- David Tennant.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Just watched the 50th special last night on "the big river place" and it was delightful - recommended watching.

WHO-rah
edit on 23-8-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

I cant wait to go another spin around the wheel!

I'm an American Doctor Who fan and i have been chomping at the bit all summer for more Doctor. I am really looking forward to getting to know Capaldi. The rumor about the new season being darker has me super excited... I like dark

a reply to: Maxatoria

Who needs guns when you have a sonic screwdriver?

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Tenant was good, but no one will ever be Baker.

However, I am glad to see they went with an older Doctor. Smith was way too young for me.
edit on 23-8-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Also, it's not that we need the guns in the US; it's just that we've learned the hard way that if we kept the sonic screwdrivers around in our entertainment ... well, we'd be sort of limited as the sonic screwdriver is ultimate deux ex machina device to fix everything.

Therefore, the sonic screwdriver has been more or less banned, except in wacky British imports.

edit on 23-8-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
So far i am not disappointed with the new Doctor

EDIT: if any of you who post here ever want to U2U me and BS about Doctor Who, go for it, im game
edit on 8/23/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
This is not exactly a spoiler, but I will say that I finally figured out where the new Who got his face.

If you remember back to season 4 when the Doctor and Donna Noble went to Pompeii, you will see that face again. In the form of the merchant that bought the TARDIS at market.

I don't know if that is going to have any significance on this season, but it is a little factoid.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: allenidaho
This is not exactly a spoiler, but I will say that I finally figured out where the new Who got his face.

If you remember back to season 4 when the Doctor and Donna Noble went to Pompeii, you will see that face again. In the form of the merchant that bought the TARDIS at market.

I don't know if that is going to have any significance on this season, but it is a little factoid.

i hoped someone would notice that

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I'm not sure about the new guy, but I didn't get to really pay much attention. I can't watch very closely. Dr. Who is something we have to be careful about. Our kiddo saw the giant Ood brain swallow a man and he has been sort of scared of Dr. Who ever since. Since he was still awake ... I didn't get to watch very much. I was not terribly dissatisfied with what I did see.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Ahh I missed doctor poo, damn I will have to download it, thank's for the head's up.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I won't say I didn't enjoy the episode, but it was probably the weakest of all Doctor debuts since the show returned in 2005. What didn't help matters any was the "average" story that seemed to take forever to kick-in. Comparing "Deep Breath" (Capaldi) to "Rose" (Eccleston), "The Christmas Invasion" (Tennant) and, especially, "The Eleventh Hour" (Smith), this episode seemed a little lacklustre.

With that being said, I am going to enjoy watching Peter Capaldi as The Doctor as I think the (spirit) of the show needed an older lead character. As great as Matt Smith was in the role (my fave Doctor - and I've been watching the show since the Jon Pertwee years), at times it felt the show was a little too "young", if you catch my drift.

Peter Capaldi is a great actor though, and I'm hoping his "Doctor" will be much darker. Last night's show gave me the impression he will be.

The Matt Smith cameo was unnecessary. Not the big surprise some fans (Whovians!) are claiming it to be since his appearance was leaked earlier this year and confirmed by Smith himself some months ago. It's clear that the show's producer (Steven Moffat) knew Smith was going to be missed and some fans may take time to be won over by Capaldi. Instead, it just came across as Moffat "reminding" fans (especially those who loved Smith) what they're missing.

One thing about Moffat is that he loves his story arcs! The ending of the episode planted the seeds for what'll be the main theme for the series. The "Missy" character is likely the regenerated "Master" (or "Mistress"!) Oh, and we've got the return of River Song coming up too.

To answer a query that another poster posed: yes, Capaldi has appeared in Doctor Who before (playing Caecilius in "The Fires Of Pompeii"), but it has no significance to his role as the Doctor - similar to the actress Freema Agyeman appearing in the show (playing the character Adeola Oshodi in "Army Of Ghosts" during the Tennant years) before she got the role of Martha Jones (Tennant's companion).

All in all, "Deep Breath" (IMO) was something of a slow burner: I found it boring in parts (especially the beginning), a bit "meh" in other parts, and the whole episode was saved by the last 15 minutes. Despite my lukewarm review, I'm really looking forward to the Capaldi years.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join