It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice bucket challenge

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

I will pay for your flight ticket to Africa so you can dump a bucket of water on your head in the middle of a village of thirsty, starving people. I will pay to watch you do that.

When you spill water. Do you gotta pick it up, throw the spill in the garbage. It EVAPORATES, and eventually becomes rain again, no harm, no foul.

There are many routes through the water cycle. If a drop of water falls on a hot tin roof it evaporates almost immediately and is set to start all over again. Other drops may soak into the ground and evaporate or be taken up by plants to transpire into the air over the course of days or weeks. Still other drops may flow into rives or lakes or oceans where the time to evaporation is years to hundreds of years. Water falling as snow onto glaciers and the antarctic may be tied up as ice for thousands of years, water seeping into deep underground reservoirs may be there as long as 10,000 years.

Deny ignorance.

That will be the day I let some internet yahoo tell me I'm being negative while you stuff your face with food in front of hungry people.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

That will be the day I let some internet yahoo tell me I'm being negative while you stuff your face with food in front of hungry people.

You gotta resort to personal attacks and strawman excuses. I dont deny there are starving folk in other countries, but lets use your example, Africa.
Food by the TON is being bought in by relief efforts, only to be stolen by the local thugs. Why doesnt that country's government step in and intervene, make sure the food goes where it needs to go?
You can set up all sorts of charities, food banks, etc, but if it cant get to the people that need it, you cant blame others.
Deny your OWN ignorance

Relief food stolen and secretly resold

AU troops recover STOLEN food

ETA: I bet if someone came up with some silly way to raise awareness for those same people, you'd be all over that, correct?

edit on 8/23/2014 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

No ad hom required. It's a simple analogy.

Food by the TON is being bought in by relief efforts, only to be stolen by the local thugs. Why doesnt that country's government step in and intervene, make sure the food goes where it needs to go?

You're comparing apples to rocks. The point is simple. People are quenching their need for approval while sacrificing a valuable resource. There is absolutely NO benefit to spilling out millions of a gallons of water for a cause. Think about it. Whatever is gained by a few million dollars is lost by pure wastage. Don't you see the irony? And how many people who dumped out perfectly good water actually donated anything? It's impossible to quantify. So again more wastage.

If you aren't comfortable dumping water out in the middle of a dry and starving village, then why should you feel comfortable doing it in America? IT MAKES NO SENSE. Stop patting yourself on the back for a something that cost YOU nothing. If you really give a frick about this cause, then try going without water until the brink of death. That would be something to be proud of, not dumping water on your head. It means nothing and wasted a drop that took a long time to get that way. Face it, the challenge is stupid and it only feeds the egos of people that are to chicken # to actually do something that requires effort. I'm not impressed.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

Im thinking about what a waste of water it is.
Imagine if you had limited access to water...
what would you think watching those people?

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Don't be depressed, I'm not a ba-humbug guy except when xmas comes. I enjoy feel good movies and classical music gives me goose bumps. I just can't stand when people seek attention and I abhor homogeneous thinking when it has to do with mindless trends.

I can agree with the attention seekers. I can't stand them. I couldn't stand them when I was a child in school and I can't stand them now. Not the children or the adults. I can also agree that there are tons of folks doing this that have no clue what ALS is nor do they care. You and I can shake hands on that.

I try to be positive though and I do think that even the non caring idiots out there helped spread this to the point that many folks who would never have known about it or donated looked into what was going on and in turn did donate and did educate themselves.

I guess I have to believe that. Otherwise it would just be tragic and I think there is way to much tragedy going on around us to keep adding to it exponentially.

I guess most would consider that a personality flaw of mine.

edit on 8/23/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I posted a video of me lighting my pubic hair on fire for herpes awareness, next I nominate all of ats.
edit on 23-8-2014 by dr1234 because: spelling

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
While I do see the merit in raising money for ALS, I really do think that it is quite revealing of the egocentricity of society when they have to entice folks via viral internet attention. It's as if these people wouldn't care if they didn't get popularity points. Also, the millions and millions of gallons of clean water, wasted. It's like spitting in the faces of poor countries who work their tails off just to have drinkable water for their children.

Not to be cynical, but those posts saying "Ahh, who cares, so long as money is being raised", while perhaps well-intended, sound like they subconsciously promote ignorance.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I can agree with the attention seekers. I can't stand them. I couldn't stand them when I was a child in school and I can't stand them now. Not the children or the adults. I can also agree that there are tons of folks doing this that have no clue

This is the mission statement from www.crowdrise.com... online fundraising. The first one I checked. Read the last 5 words in the second last sentence. Then notice the last sentence put in as an after thought. This pretty much sums up exactly what I'm talking about.

Whether you’re running a marathon, volunteering in Haiti, pledging your birthday or raising money for a cause you're super passionate about, create an online fundraising page and everyone will like you more. And, make sure you have fun when you do it... that's what CrowdRising is all about.

I try to be positive though and I do think that even the non caring idiots out there helped spread this to the point

That's the only positive. Advertisers are going nuts trying to figure out the magic formula to make things go viral. It's like the jedi mind trick. I think we should just let the internet idiots take care of the world's problems once that 'magic' formula is discovered.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
this thread is one giant load....
als is one of the most terrible things that can happen to someone.
this lame ass ice bucket crap has raised millions of dollars so far.
so what exactly is the problem?

pls dont say you dont like it cause they are 'wasting water'
thats a load too and you know it

is this annoying? yup
is it awesome as well? yup
why is it awesome? cause it is raising money and awareness for one of the most terrible diseases one can get

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: IrishCream
! Where as Alzheimer's and Diabetes' numbers are in the millions?

things are done all the time for those causes. people donate money. people buy ribbons. people have magnetic looking ribbons on their car. pretty sure there is a 'run' for both of these

man, people will bitch about anything.
who cares if this ice bucket thing is lame and has gone viral and all people care about is their facebook?

i dont because its not every person that 'only' cares about their fb and they have raised millions of dollars.
i really dont see the negative

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Instead of starting a new thread(tho the amount of rant i have should require a new thread imo, but i shall simplify it)...
and killing server space.. i will comment on this...

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge proves to me how humans are easily manipulated. Some richpeople do and and bam! i want spot light and massive views too! Not all of them even donate!

Have these attention shores forgot what charity is?

TRUE Charity is ANONYMOUS! This is just vanity! These people expect something in return. BS!

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

Because throughout history people have this weird tendency to do what everyone else is doing without much forethought. This is just another example of that. It says more about society than about ALS.

A break down of some stupid fads since the 19th century.

-Gold fish swallowing
-Bad Elizabethan Teeth
-Dance Marathons
-Telephone-Booth Stuffing
-Flag Pole Sitting
-Planking
-Ice Bucket Challenge

Let's bring back some of these fads to put this in perspective.
1. Donate 100 bucks or swallow a goldfish
2. Let your teeth rot for cancer
3. Dance a month straight for a good cause.
4. Stuff as many people as you can in phone booth - I can't see anything going wrong with that
5. Sit on a flag pole for 10 days (don't fall asleep)
6. Plank on a busy road, building top, or anywhere you might die for something you believe in.
7. Dump out millions of gallons perfectly good drinking water from your town's reservoir for ALS
8. Burn your pubic hair for herpes. ( that was a joke but may as well fit right in this category )

If you want to do a fad so bad to raise awareness for something, why don' t you do something productive? Dump river water on your head, not from out of the tap. Why encourage a bunch of mindless wanabees to waste water with no intention of donating. And donating should be anonymous, not plaster your mug on YT to get credit. "oh but it's raised money" At what cost I ask?

edit on 24-8-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: luciddream
Not all of them even donate!

TRUE Charity is ANONYMOUS! This is just vanity! These people expect something in return. BS!

yore right. not ALL of them donate. a LOT do though.
41 mill is 41 mill. vanity or not.
again.. what is the problem?

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
There is a reason for the ice water in the ice bucket challenge. Having lost a member of my family to ALS I know the hell it puts the person and family through. The ice water mimics the feeling of nerves firing off just like it does for a person with ALS. It may not be as wide spread as AIDS or other diseases, but it is important to study. I have MS, any study of ALS can also help contribute to understanding why it does the damage it does. Any awareness brought to the cause of helping others IS worthwhile and for you to belittle that shows how selfish and uneducated you are.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo

Because throughout history people have this weird tendency to do what everyone else is doing without much forethought. This is just another example of that. It says more about society than about ALS.

A break down of some stupid fads since the 19th century.

-Gold fish swallowing
-Bad Elizabethan Teeth
-Dance Marathons
-Telephone-Booth Stuffing
-Flag Pole Sitting
-Planking
-Ice Bucket Challenge

Let's bring back some of these fads to put this in perspective.
1. Donate 100 bucks or swallow a goldfish
2. Let your teeth rot for cancer
3. Dance a month straight for a good cause.
4. Stuff as many people as you can in phone booth - I can't see anything going wrong with that
5. Sit on a flag pole for 10 days (don't fall asleep)
6. Plank on a busy road, building top, or anywhere you might die for something you believe in.
7. Dump out millions of gallons perfectly good drinking water from your town's reservoir for ALS
8. Burn your pubic hair for herpes. ( that was a joke but may as well fit right in this category )

If you want to do a fad so bad to raise awareness for something, why don' t you do something productive? Dump river water on your head, not from out of the tap. Why encourage a bunch of mindless wanabees to waste water with no intention of donating. And donating should be anonymous, not plaster your mug on YT to get credit. "oh but it's raised money" At what cost I ask?

who cares about all that crap? blah blah
not everyone donates...blah blah....
a LOT of people donate and thats the point.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Matthew 6:5
"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward."

The same can be said for these fools. They don't do it for charity, they do it to be praised for their charity. If there was no publicity on them, they wouldn't donate a dime or minute of their time.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

The same can be said for these fools. They don't do it for charity, they do it to be praised for their charity. If there was no publicity on them, they wouldn't donate a dime or minute of their time.

what is the big problem? can someone please explain the issue again?
lets say they are doing it to be praised...
so what.
they're still doing it right? millions of dollars have been donated.. right?
money that goes to research for horrible diseases is a good thing right?

last i checked it was. as long as the money is not coming from crime/violence or something like that then who cares?
as long as it gets done. if all these celebs and people want to be attention whores and flaunt their vanity to get twitter followers then cool. fine by me. nobody is getting hurt and money is being raised for a great cause.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

There is also a negative factor asociated with this. Viral video, after the fad has been used once, future ads wil have less effect on people.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

last i checked it was. as long as the money is not coming from crime/violence or something like that then who cares?

ahh, you make an interesting point. As long as it doesn't come from crime...well, who cares? As long as the donations are coming in right?

You see, what you failed to notice about yourself is, you have standards regarding where that money comes from. The ice bucket haters have standards too. While your standards stop at crime, our standards go on to include posers wanting recognition for their charity. IF you can have standards, then why can't we?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join