It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Radical Idea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
No - it is a radial idea. A very good friend lent me this book as part of my deepening committment to Buddhism and doing my own work. I suspect as I read through this material, I'll want to share some of it to help my own understanding and perhaps to share this radical thinking.

"Mindful Politics: A Buddhist Guide to Making the World a Better Place" by Melvin McLeod.

The book brings together wisdom on politices, defined simply as people working together in groups, from many sources and starts with this introduction to His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama's piece on "A new Approach to Global problems".

From Page 16:

"We are all equal, says the Dalai Lama, in seeking happiness and peace. yet as individuals and as nations, we value our own happiness over all others'. This is called "ego" in Buddhism and it is the root of our suffering, bot personal and collectie. He proposes a new approach to global politics based on taking responsibility for the happiness of all people"

I find this a call to do my own work, and taking on responsibility for others and our world.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

and from Page 18, to clarify this responsiblity. From the Dalai Lama's article in the above referenced book:

"The premise behind this idea of universal responsibility is the simple fact that, in general terms, all others' desires are the same as mine.

Every being wants happiness and does not want suffering.

If we, as intellegent human beings, do not accept this fact, there will be more and more suffering on this planet.

If we adopt a self-centered approach to life and constrantly try to use others for our own self-interest, we may gain temporary benefits, but in the long run we will not succeed in achieving even personal happiness, and world peace will be completely out of the question."

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

As I read those words there was no doubt in me to their truth. Very inspiring.

But try saying that to the people with the power and money. Unfortunatley, I doubt they would agree. Even the few that would agree, few of those would apply it in their own lives, and not enough so as to change their status.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: pennydrops03

As I read those words there was no doubt in me to their truth. Very inspiring.

But try saying that to the people with the power and money. Unfortunatley, I doubt they would agree. Even the few that would agree, few of those would apply it in their own lives, and not enough so as to change their status.

From a site, I've been working with: "Unfettered Mind: Pragmatic Buddhism"

www.unfetteredmind.org...

The system uses shame and the withdrawal of attention to instill a fear of survival. Simultaneously, the system presents the view that power resides in the system, not the individual. The combination creates a dependence on the system for survival. Gradually, the system is internalized and the person identifies with it — he sees himself the way the system sees him. His sense of who he is is defined by the system. (We see this tendency very clearly in the professions — “I’m a doctor, so I do x, y and z” or “I’m an attorney, so I do x, y and z.”)

Can learned helplessness be undone? Well, that’s the big question, isn’t it? The answer is “Yes.” The cost, however, is high. We can only undo learned helplessness by severing our internal connection with the system that gave rise to it.

Our motivation must be clear and strong. We must really want to hear and respond to our own questions about life. We must really want to live our own life and not one prescribed by our family, society, culture, profession or tradition. Metaphorically, we must be willing to go north, the direction that takes us out of society. We must be willing to endure pain, know from direct experience, act on what we see and receive what happens. We must yearn to experience what is without relying on anything to confirm our existence.

So it's really not in the hands of the proverbal "Powers that Be" so much as in is in our hands. We must be willing to identify the systems that we've internalized and work towards freeing ourselves. TPTB will fall away once the tipping point is reached and the panic and desparation of those elements show a basic understanding of this universal responsibility.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I honestly do not believe for a second that the Dalai Lama is interested in making the world a better place.

Everything I have seen tells me that he is clearly not what he appears to be.

The Dalai Lama is just another regime change tool used and funded by the Luciferian New World Order Puppet Masters to destabilize nations and destroy many sincere people who want to get closer to their higher purpose and find meaning of their existence in this world.

The DALAI LAMA is a Luciferian Disciple

Mr. Tenzin Gyatsu, whilst claiming to be a spiritual leader, a holy man, and a man of peace, is actually on the payroll of the C.I.A. , and received $180,000 a year, and including at least $500,000 in subsidies for a couple thousand ‘Tibetan freedom fighters”. It is unclear if he and his army are still being paid, but its hard to imagine its not, looking at whats happening in China, and his well financed world campaigns. zenshaman.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

An ad hominem attack is not appropriate in a discussion of ideas.

Your thoughts and comments on the idea(s) are welcome.
edit on 16-8-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a tad more from the Dalai Lama's article:

"Whether we will be able to achieve world peace or not, we have no clice but to work toward that goal.

If our minds are dominated by anger, we will lose the best part of human intelligence - wisdom, the ability to decide between right and wrong Anger is one of the most serious problems facing the world today."

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
So, you believe this because they say so?

a reply to: Murgatroid

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
This is very interesting to me. I have the universe in a single atom by the Dahlia Lama on my books shelf.I'm just easily distracted. Please tell me more.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
This is very interesting to me. I have the universe in a single atom by the Dahlia Lama on my books shelf.I'm just easily distracted. Please tell me more.

Aren't we all. Try a paragraph a day - I've done that and it works. Consistant practise leads to increasing ability to focus on and retain information. It could be a good way to start a regular practise.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
That's not a bad idea. I love to read, I just don't always have focus on specific topics.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Until we are taught, understand and realize what are the primal motivators of human behavior we will continue on our historical path of constant, chaos ,crisis, and collapse.

The rejection of suffering is actually what empowers our present culture of control which is failing to provide happiness to the masses. Thus the premise is unrealistic.

new topics

top topics

join