It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do gut bacteria rule our minds? In an ecosystem within us, microbes evolved to sway food choices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Do gut bacteria rule our minds? In an ecosystem within us, microbes evolved to sway food choices

It sounds like science fiction, but it seems that bacteria within us -- which outnumber our own cells about 100-fold -- may very well be affecting both our cravings and moods to get us to eat what they want, and often are driving us toward obesity.

In an article published this week in the journal BioEssays, researchers from UC San Francisco, Arizona State University and University of New Mexico concluded from a review of the recent scientific literature that microbes influence human eating behavior and dietary choices to favor consumption of the particular nutrients they grow best on, rather than simply passively living off whatever nutrients we choose to send their way.

Bacterial species vary in the nutrients they need. Some prefer fat, and others sugar, for instance. But they not only vie with each other for food and to retain a niche within their ecosystem -- our digestive tracts -- they also often have different aims than we do when it comes to our own actions, according to senior author Athena Aktipis, PhD, co-founder of the Center for Evolution and Cancer with the Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center at UCSF.

While it is unclear exactly how this occurs, the authors believe this diverse community of microbes, collectively known as the gut microbiome, may influence our decisions by releasing signaling molecules into our gut. Because the gut is linked to the immune system, the endocrine system and the nervous system, those signals could influence our physiologic and behavioral responses.

"Bacteria within the gut are manipulative," said Carlo Maley, PhD, director of the UCSF Center for Evolution and Cancer and corresponding author on the paper." "There is a diversity of interests represented in the microbiome, some aligned with our own dietary goals, and others not."

Fortunately, it's a two-way street. We can influence the compatibility of these microscopic, single-celled houseguests by deliberating altering what we ingest, Maley said, with measurable changes in the microbiome within 24 hours of diet change.

"Our diets have a huge impact on microbial populations in the gut," Maley said. "It's a whole ecosystem, and it's evolving on the time scale of minutes."

This doesn't surprise me. "Food" has become so addictive these days, always craving more sugar, fat & sweets. It's terrible that that has become what is marketed to us & that we (large majority) accept it.

I have a strict diet do to undiagnosed stomach issues & I know that I often crave sugar, fat & sweets. Those just so happen to be the foods I can't handle but that doesn't stop my mind from thinking about them & wanting them. I very much dislike it & other people who can handle that garbage called food, are the ones who keep eating their addiction. It is also targeted at children so they become life long customers, which for us young adults, we are the guinea pigs for some of that marketing.

There are even studies being done on some foods triggering the same reaction in our brain as coc aine. (cough, cough, oreo cookies, cough, cough)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower

When you get sick, Bacteria in particular. Sometimes the host will adopt the bacteria in the Gut and it lives sybiotically with the body.

Everyone is born with very similar but flora, But some people may have more prominence in other bacteria or lack a bacteria altogether since the immune system can chose to destroy an invader or have it incorperated into the scheme.

Eating certain bad foods, Feeds the flora in the gut that produce enzymes that cause inflimation in the blood stream. The body reacts by constricting the blood vessels.

You cant just kill all the bacteria in your gut, You need to starve them of the harmful nutrients that are feeding them to excrete the enzymes.

As for everything else, Our immune system is alive and so is our skin ect.

The brain is unique because of its hivelike behavior that allows focused collective control for a single objective.
Such as thinking of a math problem or remebering Ect.

Our DNA is made of RNA that at one time came from Viruses injecting them into what ever cells/bacteria that existed before hand.

New Genes allow new layers and chemical properties to be created which form organs ect.
Even in life the building blocks are as fundamental and has the ability to shift just like how molecules are arranged at the sub-atomic level. By shifting electrons carrying information. Just like how Viruses carry the information like an electron, Being magnitudes smaller than the cell or other cells phages or bacteria, yet transmitting information from one cell to another.

Its quite a microcosm. And people need to treat these little critters with more respect.

Remeber this. If you can't follow along with the rant. At least know this key point.

How you feel about yourself and what lives inside you effects your overall physic. Once you get a virus it never leaves you. The information it injects into the cells will be carried along as long as no cancer or infection occures.
If you dislike any certain part of your body, it may decide to go mutany on you. So respect yourself and live your body and everything within it. They say its only all in your head, But your head sends signals to all these critters and they can feel your intention, and will act on their own accord.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
My bacteria must be alcoholics.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

I had an imbalance where there was too much bad bacteria and not enough good bacteria. It is extremely difficult for doctors to discover that this is what is wrong with a person. In fact, I was never diagnosed, but diagnosed myself after years of self study.

As soon as this problem was corrected through ingesting millions upon millions of good bacteria, so my body would be populated with enough of them, my entire life changed. I have to say, personally, I do feel that YES gut bacteria plays a major role in our lives, that isn't understood yet.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Doesn't surprise me either.
I have undiagnosed digestion issues and the way iv have found to control it is a diet called SCD "Specific Carbohydrate Diet"

SCD

The Specific Carbohydrate Diet™ is predicated on the understanding that Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn's Disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and gluten therapy resistant Celiac are the consequence of an overgrowth and imbalance of intestinal microbial flora. By altering the nutrition we take in, we can effect the constitution of our intestinal flora, and bring it back into balance, healing our digestive tracts and restoring proper absorption.

I noticed a huge improvement in my Mood and digestion since taking control of what bacteria can thrive in my system.

Another reason bacteria play such a big part in our cravings and moods is the Vagus Nerve.
edit on 15-8-2014 by xXSvenXx because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I love antioxidants. Ever since I read dark chocolate can help a tummy ache I am never without some.

I buy vegan dark chocolate btw, it works. The article said the gut flora like it and that's what helps. I tried some soon after and every time I do, it works!

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Kombucha!

www.foodrenegade.com...

Have you heard of Kombucha, the beverage the ancient Chinese called the “Immortal Health Elixir?” It’s been around for more than 2,000 years and has a rich anecdotal history of health benefits like preventing and fighting cancer, arthritis, and other degenerative diseases.

Made from sweetened tea that’s been fermented by a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast (a SCOBY, a.k.a. “mother” because of its ability to reproduce, or “mushroom” because of its appearance), Kombucha didn’t gain prominence in the West until recently.

Kefir!

Easily digested, it cleanses the intestines, provides beneficial bacteria and yeast, vitamins and minerals, and complete proteins. Because kefir is such a balanced and nourishing food, it contributes to a healthy immune system and has been used to help patients suffering from AIDS, chronic fatigue syndrome, herpes, and cancer.

Its tranquilizing effect on the nervous system has benefited many who suffer from sleep disorders, depression, and ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). The regular use of kefir can help relieve all intestinal disorders, promote bowel movement, reduce flatulence and create a healthier digestive system.

In addition, its cleansing effect on the whole body helps to establish a balanced inner ecosystem for optimum health and longevity. Kefir can also help eliminate unhealthy food cravings by making the body more nourished and balanced. Its excellent nutritional content offers healing and health-maintenance benefits to people in every type of condition.

(Statement bolded by me, due to relevancy)

www.kefir.net...

These make you feel great! And provide healthy probiotics! Aaaaand, can both be carbonated, which makes them waaaaaay batter than freakin unhealthy soda!

I wonder what drinking this stuff daily means for a persons gut flora?

Star and flag, if you can't already tell, I'm enthusiastic about this subject and thread.

edit on 16-8-2014 by GoShredAK because: Edit

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Oh, I am sure that the bacteria in our gut communicate with us on a level we have yet to completely understand. They influence what we eat. Their actions are not always negative though, they also can signal us to eat things to help us. There are also microbes on and in our skin, and even in our nose and airways. Most have a symbiotic relationship and self govern their populations. When one gets off balance, we need to consume foods or meds to get them under control.

Good thread, S&F. I've read many articles on this subject.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fargoth
My bacteria must be alcoholics.

Wouldn't that be wicked. An actual bacteria that forces you to crave alcohol. Maybe its not genes perse but germs!

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: LibertasIntel

There is a gut bacteria that brews in your gut. Yes, you can get drunk from it.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   

LOL, I just posted info about gut bacteria in your Talking Tree thread, then came across this.

Did you know that you have more seratonin receptors in your gut than in your brain? The enteric nervous system is a complete mystery. Hardly studied. ITs a separate brain.

And yes the flora in your gut definitely effect our thoughts, feelings and moods.

Ever get butterflies in your stomach? That is your enteric seratonin receptors on blast. Maybe its those little critters living inside of us that make us fall in love.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: zardust

I had just been reading in there myself & saw your post about gut bacteria so I was wondering if you had been in here reading this one.

There is so much going on with us & plants/trees, that we really know very little about the complex things that go on in both worlds. It is a very fascinating subject (both humans & plants) and I wonder how much we will actually get to know about these subjects or if we will never understand them on a deeper level

top topics

join