It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force picks Eielson as preferred alternative for F-35 jets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Well, well! It looks like I'll be getting some new neighbors in the near future:

FAIRBANKS -- The U.S. Air Force selected Eielson Air Force Base as the preferred location for the first squadrons of F-35 fighter aircraft in the Pacific, the next step in a process that could lead to a final decision next year on basing 48 aircraft in Alaska.

LINK

I wonder if they will ever fly down by my area so I can get a chance to see them?

More from the article:

In a phone interview, Begich said the deployment could mean about 2,000 Air Force personnel and dependents would transfer to Eielson. He said the decision to include a preferred site and no alternates is a good one for Alaska.

"With the military aspects, there's no question where we rated," Begich said. "They just looked at the overwhelming evidence that Alaska is the right location."

In a phone interview with Murkowski, she said the selection of a single preferred location gives her confidence that the final decision will be to locate the aircraft in Alaska and not in Japan or Korea.

Pretty cool, I wonder how those fighter jocks are going to like the cold and darkness up North?

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Interesting choice. I wonder if Russia's new found aggressiveness had anything to do with it. I didn't think the F-35 had the legs for that kind of mission though.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

It's really the only place they could put them in PACAF. Hickam already has Raptors, and no room for them. And they weren't going to put then overseas right away.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yup, I didn't really think they'd put them in Hawaii.

According to the article, they may be moving the F-16 Agressors down to JBER. Great, the housing situation around here is already tight and very expensive!
edit on 7-8-2014 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I wonder if the Royal Navy will use a land base to keep the f35s when we get ours delivered or if they will stay on the carriers most of the time. I know we have a few naval air stations dotted about the UK.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

They're going to be joint RAF/RN squadrons. They'll be based at RAF bases when not on ship.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58 awesome stuff .. God you must had hate some of the things people say lol

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
There's already raptors in Alaska so it seems logical. Although there at elmendorf
edit on 8-8-2014 by boomer135 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join